After the carnage that killed six: "negligent" driver fined 5,000 baht, dead get 30K each

webfact

After the carnage that killed six: "negligent" driver fined 5,000 baht, dead get 30K each

3pm_VI.jpg

Daily news reported on the aftermath of the tour bus that crashed in Pahonyothin Road, Pathum Thani at the weekend. 

As relatives of the six dead came to collect their loved ones at Thammasat Chalermprakiat Hospital came news that the Department of Land Transport could fine the negligent driver only up to 5,000 baht. 

And the family of each of the dead victims would get just 30,000 baht from the tour bus company that ran the service - Prayat Tour Co Ltd. 

The company have been fined 50,000 baht.

However, police have charged driver Pratchaya Wangliangklang, 24, with negligence causing death and detained him.

He said that it was raining and a pick-up in front of his swerved to avoid a crashed motorcycle. In attempting to avoid a collision he said he lost control and ended up overturned in the ditch. 

No alcohol was found in his system. 

Some 56 people were reported injured in the crash that occurred opposite the Thai Watsadu store on Pahonyothin Road inbound at Klong One. The bus was inbound to Bangkok on the Phanom Phrai (Roi-Et) to Bangkok route. 

A video after the crash on Channel 8 showed Ruam Katanyu foundation rescue using cutting equipment to extricate the victims inside the double-decker after it overturned. 

The local district chief and head of the DLT were at the hospital discussing compensation and help for the many injured being treated at various Bangkok hospitals yesterday. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-07

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

That puts into perspective exactly what a life is worth here.

Absolutely pathetic, and shameful.

Until these <deleted> are forbidden from driving, the country will be forever having to deal with possible lawsuits.  My God....when will this country wake up?

16 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

This should help Thailand maintain the worlds No 1 spot for many years to come.

No 1 in road deaths and No 1 in beaurocratic ignorance.

And WHAT is the gov't doing? Tourists killed and no realistic plan to curb unnecessary deaths. Also, native deaths for whatever reason. Again, third world resources and lack of intelligence. You solicit tourism and then get your s..t together. And figure out what a country who has road laws functions. Until then, I can tutor :)

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

....the Department of Land Transport could fine the negligent driver only up to 5,000 baht. 

And the family of each of the dead victims would get just 30,000 baht from the tour bus company that ran the service - Prayat Tour Co Ltd. 

The company have been fined 50,000 baht.

However, police have charged driver Pratchaya Wangliangklang, 24, with negligence causing death and detained him.

The 5000B fine has been imposed by the DLT, not by a court. As police have also charged the driver, presumably there will be a court case and possibly another fine or other penalty.

The main problem here though is that the bus company does not seem to have adequate insurance to cover payouts to injured passengers. Of course one would expect the relatives of the injured passengers to sue the bus company for damages, but in Thailand that may not be very practical.

So the crux of the matter as far as compensation goes is that the government via the DLT should oblige all bus operators to carry much better insurance, with a sensible payout level per injured person. Any bus company found to be without suitable insurance should just be shut down.

I understand there will be a lot of anger and blame throwing but as an ex-coach driver I am also looking to see if he really was to blame. If its true he was avoiding a collision he may not be guilty of much at all. The huge problem here is the lack of proper crash barriers and the stupid 'design' of Thai highways where deep ditches are positioned to the right of the fast lane to ensure buses overturn and roll once they leave the road. Its a common feature of many bus accidents and it can be seen on highways all over the country. Add in the fact that many roads have been elevated by 1m of red dirt and the drop off the road becomes a major reason for deaths after collisions that maybe wouldn't have caused serious injury. And that still leaves out the fact that buses are not built to withstand a roll and seatbelts are not mandatory.

11 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

So that's about 833 baht a life. That's why there is no end insight in the fight to reduce the regularity of these tragedies. 

Come on Thailand!!! Its time to wake up!!

I agree. And then I read stories about excessive resources to rid overstays. Thailand....unless you get your s..t together you will remain a third world country and I assure you that the rich ones- those who come here with not a worry do not enter in my point. They do not see the reality and simply go home when their endless purse becomes boring.

Meanwhile, the Thai natives constantly attempt to survive. And then...the BS 3rd world infrastructure wreaks years behind in common sense. Build a f....g public transportation where mafia taxis are long gone. Other countries have done so. You (Thailand) lost track of accommodating the tourism as well as all the other tidbits that need correcting. And forgive me for mentioning the late king...besides the fact that I also love jazz, HIS principles are are no longer existent.

47 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

life is cheap-apparently 30,000 baht is the going rate in Shangri-La.

so surely any new falang  insuranc e  health  policy need only  allow for a 30k max now then?

50 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The 5000B fine has been imposed by the DLT, not by a court. As police have also charged the driver, presumably there will be a court case and possibly another fine or other penalty.

The main problem here though is that the bus company does not seem to have adequate insurance to cover payouts to injured passengers. Of course one would expect the relatives of the injured passengers to sue the bus company for damages, but in Thailand that may not be very practical.

So the crux of the matter as far as compensation goes is that the government via the DLT should oblige all bus operators to carry much better insurance, with a sensible payout level per injured person. Any bus company found to be without suitable insurance should just be shut down.

Thanks for a sensible post amidst of all the others jumping the gun.

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

5000 Baht!!!! Now he has to work double shifts and go even faster to make up for the loss.

not forgetting the B50,000 the company will expect to be repaid by the driver.

15 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Life is cheap in this country..Where is the deterrents for other motorists to see and fear if penalties are joke? and that they wonder why so many people get killed on the roads...

Just watch the BKK-busdrivers going 100 km/hr through the traffic, cutting other drivers off, stopping on the middle of the road, not using indicators and so on....

They 'll kill you with a smile....a thai smile that is.

This is why carnage on the roads will never be solved,

5000 THB fine for the driver is NOT a deterrent for anyone, 

that won't make the drivers take more care and drive within their limits,

and why the bus company was fined more ,when it is all the drivers fault.

regards Worgeordie

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

when it is all the drivers fault.

Are you sure about that? If the quote below is true, I find him innocent.

a pick-up in front of his swerved to avoid a crashed motorcycle. In attempting to avoid a collision he said he lost control

1 hour ago, webfact said:

That's a stiff penalty compared to what that little hiso princess got for shoving a van off the overpass and killing night people. She was photographed resting against a barrier and chatting on her phone while bodies of van passengers littered the road below. She was hit with a suspended sentence and 48 hours community service, which on all accounts she did not even bother to turn up for.

Pocket money penalties for road carnage seem the order of the day yet someone poaching parrot fish can be fined 100,000 baht. Something is seriously wrong with the penalty and justice system in Thailand; quite apart from the fact that it is open to corruption. 

34 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Are you sure about that? If the quote below is true, I find him innocent.

Then why did the police fine him,if it was not his fault,

if it's not a brake problem,they use the other excuse ,of

someone cut in front of me.

regards worgeordie

Archived