Pattaya is BOOMING! 100% New Year occupancy points to great times ahead, tourism official

webfact

If you are going to lie try to make it slightly credible.
Search 2 minutes ago on Hotels.com showed occupancy rates of 54% for tonight. 48% drop in 6 days, the alarm bells should be ringing.
Memo to K Ekkasit :-  When you publish figures make sure they cannot be verified. You can then save face.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been to Pattaya for several months. Just arrived last Thursday. Staying behind Big C Extra as usual. Soi Yume was marginally busy in the evenings. 

Big C on Sunday, a big shopping day normally, was nothing like the high seasons of years past. Walked straight up the escalator without ducking and diving the standees. Shopped there twice and both times walked straight up to a cashier in the empty express lanes. Lots of moto parking available. 

If this was supposed to be prime time Pattaya, there was no evidence in Friendship and Tukcom today. Only light crowd of shoppers in Friendship this afternoon. All three cash counters were empty when I checked out. To my shock, Tukcom aisles were empty of buyers on the 2nd floor. I walked straight to a corner to my favourite kiosk without diverting around clusters of customers because there were none. 

I had no trouble finding rooms at two locations on short notice.

Guess I was in a different Pattaya from the tourism boss. 

Sat on der' beach bang opposite Soi/5 yesterday afternoon and there were plenty of loungers to um' lounge on and by the time I left at 16:00 I was the only one at my chosen lounger renter .. Beach road and front entrance to Centrale last night approximately 21:45 pm .. Hardly thronging is it .. And in my perambulations out last night some areas are busy but many are not and a litmus test of busy'ness here  is how easy it can be to cross 2nd road as a pedestrian .. When busy it is a nerve racking affair .. when quiet it not quite so dangerous and last night we had no problem getting across on the way home 23:00 pm .. Me thinks it's the usual propaganda to create a different image to the reality .. 

IMG_20190106_222607.jpg

IMG_20190106_222711.jpg

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Another pile of lies designed to make people think things are good when they are not. Wherever I have been of late people have been commenting on how empty everywhere is, compared to previous years. 100% occupancy for how many hotels exactly? One? Two? I know a few owners who are nowhere near that. And all of these people must be staying indoors, because they are not out in the bars and restaurants.

I'm in Jomtien at the moment and have never seen it so empty, it's really nice, peaceful, masses of empty parking on the beach road and none of the beach chair places are more than 50% full. Maybe that's why prices for everything, food, drink etc all seem to have increased at least 40% in the past 2 years? If the customers stop coming, just up the prices.

3 minutes ago, cme said:

I'm in Jomtien at the moment and have never seen it so empty, it's really nice, peaceful, masses of empty parking on the beach road and none of the beach chair places are more than 50% full. Maybe that's why prices for everything, food, drink etc all seem to have increased at least 40% in the past 2 years? If the customers stop coming, just up the prices. 

I totally agree. The masses of tourists quoted as being here, probably either came for a day trip, or were imagined by someone with a vested interest. Rising prices drive people away to lonelier and cheaper places, which often have far more unspoiled beauty as an added bonus. The term "tourist trap" is widely understood. With an unusually strong baht, many will opt to leave such zones, for "real and local" prices. Raising again to make up for the loss exacerbates the situation. I feel that Pattaya, much like Phuket, is simply pricing itself out of the market. The water off Pattaya beach is hardly crystal clear, which it is elsewhere, so why pay through the nose to stay in a pit, when you can have a tropical getaway, with better experiences for way less.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

family friendly Pattaya was all systems go and just boom boom into the future. 

I would guess this statement says it all! Except the fact that only the rats are at (or over) 100% occupancy.

Yes NYE hotels were at 100% just like every year , now what happened on the 3,4,5 and after? 

Just like previous year as if hurricane came through and removed all.

so at this stage can not get much worse, no doubt good times ahead 

I read the comments and I am a little confused. I have been in LK Metro area, 3-4 times December 21st- January 5th.and it has been very busy. I asked my regular chicken kabab seller how business was. She told me very, very good. But there was a caveat. She expected it to drop off to very poor/low season rates this week. Peak season ended yesterday and the place would be empty from Monday. I will head out tomorrow and check out numbers for myself. 

1 minute ago, Ulic said:

I read the comments and I am a little confused. I have been in LK Metro area, 3-4 times December 21st- January 5th.and it has been very busy. I asked my regular chicken kabab seller how business was. She told me very, very good. But there was a caveat. She expected it to drop off to very poor/low season rates this week. Peak season ended yesterday and the place would be empty from Monday. I will head out tomorrow and check out numbers for myself. 

Can save you the trip, LK metro at 22:30 pm half empty , billabong bar where you could not get a sit last week had plenty of empty tables 

13 hours ago, TMNH said:

LOL- nonetheless, it's nice to receive compliments- whether sincere or not. Milk it while you can ????

I think it is more like THEY will milk you while they can  ????

14 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

Best description of Pattaya I've ever seen or read. Even the Indians were disgusted by the state of the beaches. Lol.

You have to admit the beer is cheap though.

The beer is cheap compared to where?

And from where? There is a wide disparity in prices, a 320 ml bottle will be from 55 (or less) to 90 in very similar establishments.

Archived