snake identification

pks555

Looks like a striped Kukri snake although difficult to tell without the colour but they only grow to 44cm and non-venomous. How long is it, it looks small in the pictures and I'm guessing by the underside that you killed it?. 

I was on a Skype call to the lady at the time when she nearly stepped on it coming out of the house .On discovering it she then hit it a few times with a stick to kill it. It looked 50 - 70 cm . The family are used to seeing snakes and seemed very alarmed by this one. 

I've finally, after living here for 25 years, persuaded my wife not to automatically kill every snake she sees. She's still afraid of them but at least she doesn't kill them. Most are harmless and non-aggressive unless you step on one. If someone stepped on me I might get upset too ????

8 hours ago, bubba45 said:

Thais kill everything.  

(sigh)

My Vietnamese family in he Mekong Delta as well, to SE Asians, every snake is a Cobra.  I on the other hand have been teaching the neighbors & kids to just leave them alone, they are more afraid of us than we are of them.

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Just wondering what one does with the information afterwards?

Hopefully same as one should do with any new info...LEARN from it! Know the facts...the details...the truth. Expand your knowledge and teach someone else still ignorant to the facts and truth, in the case of a further encounter. 

There are 224 species of snake in Thailand, only about 12 are venomous, some are venomous and poisonous, for quick identity try snake of Isaan, on FB, usually get a reply in 5 minutes. 

Thais need a lot of education where snakes are concerned. With gentle persuasion I’ve got the wife to the point of not screaming every time she sees one in the garden. Being cold blooded most times you see them is when they are warming up in the morning. Treat with respect, keep your distance, they only attack when surprised or beaten with a big stick, I think you would retaliate as well. Remember they are part of the ecosystem, without them we’d be over run with rats and little lizards. ????

Yep - Kukri Snake; per Vern Lovic's "Snakes of Thailand" e-book.

'This snake is common across Thailand, and
apparently has a pattern that makes people
think it is venomous and dangerous because
most photos I get are of the snake after
beheading or being smashed with a shovel.
These are harmless snakes that eat frogs, eggs,
lizards and other animals on the ground. Kukri
snakes come in many shades of brown, pink,
and orange.'

The e-book is well worth downloading if you are at all interested in identifying snakes for yourself (load www.thailandsnakes.com and look for the picture of the book cover a few scrolls down)

Archived