Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 06:46
webfact

CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

hi guys.

i went to this website which is thai gov website. Its for Non-O (marriage visa) documents.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_75

there is definitely no sentences about 400K baht in the bank. Im not sure but if someone check it again and correct me if im wrong please.

BUT to get a 1 year NON-O visa... this is the website you need to read

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18

which clearly says 400K in the bank if you dont have any 40K income

Edited by problemfarang

27 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Yes- possibly= but my actual point is that once we really look at how transfers work and the accompanying paperwork- bank Books; Bank Letters-  Transferwise documents or  Bank Advises proving foreign transfers- the IO will be overwhelmed and at this point they will say who cares where and how the money gets in the account- 

Actually I agree with you. Going forward there are going to be so many people using so many versions and banking codes trying to show international transfers. The IO's will not want to see more than a copy of the bank book and a letter from the bank. I see situations where the same 65k is going to be moved in and out brtween 2 or 3 thai bank accounts and the IO with accept it. They are not intellectual people you know, if it shows 65k coming in each month they will accept it. Those of you spending a fortune each month to move your money here monthly, will be winging at some point, you mark my words.

16 minutes ago, jimn said:

Actually I agree with you. Going forward there are going to be so many people using so many versions and banking codes trying to show international transfers. The IO's will not want to see more than a copy of the bank book and a letter from the bank. I see situations where the same 65k is going to be moved in and out brtween 2 or 3 thai bank accounts and the IO with accept it. They are not intellectual people you know, if it shows 65k coming in each month they will accept it. Those of you spending a fortune each month to move your money here monthly, will be winging at some point, you mark my words.

There was talk of immigration working with the banks on a letter-format.  If that comes to pass, it may only show international transfers.

16 minutes ago, jimn said:

Those of you spending a fortune each month to move your money here monthly, will be winging at some point, you mark my words.

Thank you, Nostradamus. Some us move 65K+ baht into Thailand monthly anyway and have for years and the extra -- in my case -- SWIFT charge is no big deal vs. other options.

And I looked at Transferwise months back when it was announced the Bangkok Bank NYC ACH transfer would end and said No way! for me.

31 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

i went to this website which is thai gov website. Its for Non-O (marriage visa) documents.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_75

there is definitely no sentences about 400K baht in the bank. Im not sure but if someone check it again and correct me if im wrong please.

Wrong page. This is the correct one. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

The change visa page is a mess and it is all wrong. You have to switch to Thai and use Google translate to find the correct links.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Wrong page. This is the correct one. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

The change visa page is a mess and it is all wrong. You have to switch to Thai and use Google translate to find the correct links.

the page i posted is in english already and its how to get NON-O from outside of thailand.

the second page i posted is for extension.

if is not updated... dont know about that

the page you posted seems also good.. thanks

Edited by problemfarang

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

And I looked at Transferwise months back when it was announced the Bangkok Bank NYC ACH transfer would end and said No way! for me.

I looked closely at TW for a US mate of mine and there was little benefit over using SWIFT.  (Mainly because the Thai banks have a very tight buy/sell spread for USD).

But for Brits, the Thai banks have a very wide buy/sell for GBP, and it's most certainly cheaper using TW.... especially if you need to make 12 or more transfers per month.  Also, with the Brexit uncertainties, the GBP/THB rate "bounces" up and down sometimes as much as 1% per day, and TW allows you to "lock-in" the peaks, rather than just accepting what the Thai banks give you a day or so later (although it could act against you in some instances).  It also depends on your UK bank SWIFT fee, but for me a monthly transfer of 65k would cost me around 16,000 bt/yr more using SWIFT. 

Maybe not a lot for you, but I'd rather have it than the (w)bankers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve73 said:

I looked closely at TW for a US mate of mine and there was little benefit over using SWIFT.  (Mainly because the Thai banks have a very tight buy/sell spread for USD).

But for Brits, the Thai banks have a very wide buy/sell for GBP, and it's most certainly cheaper using TW.... especially if you need to make 12 or more transfers per month.  Also, with the Brexit uncertainties, the GBP/THB rate "bounces" up and down sometimes as much as 1% per day, and TW allows you to "lock-in" the peaks, rather than just accepting what the Thai banks give you a day or so later (although it could act against you in some instances).  It also depends on your UK bank SWIFT fee, but for me a monthly transfer of 65k would cost me around 16,000 bt/yr more using SWIFT. 

Maybe not a lot for you, but I'd rather have it than the (w)bankers.

I’m the same. I bank with Santander and they charge £25 for a SWIFT transfer. 

As an insurance I will begin to use them and monitor the situation as for me personally the peace of mind outweighs the extra uncertainty and cost of continuing to use TW. 

I’m sure things will get resolved one way or another in the coming weeks/months as the process begins in anger but if not I’ll just take the hit. 

As an insurance I will begin to use them and monitor the situation as for me personally the peace of mind outweighs the extra uncertainty and cost of continuing to use TW. 
I’m sure things will get resolved one way or another in the coming weeks/months as the process begins in anger but if not I’ll just take the hit. 
I'm Santander and Kasikorn but 12 × (£25 +£10) is hard to stomach. I think I'll stick to TW, if it isn't accepted by IO, using an agent will cost less than the swift plus thai bank fees
  • Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
8 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I'm Santander and Kasikorn but 12 × (£25 +£10) is hard to stomach. I think I'll stick to TW, if it isn't accepted by IO, using an agent will cost less than the swift plus thai bank fees

Yes I agree, I’m with KK too but as I say each to their own. My year triggers in March so from then on I will use SWIFT until some kind of clarity comes forward with TW. 

Personally, and I’ve no issue with others that choose to, I would rather DIY. I believe long term it pays....... but that just my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

the page i posted is in english already and its how to get NON-O from outside of thailand.

the second page i posted is for extension.

if is not updated... dont know about that

the page you posted seems also good.. thanks

You have to change the page I posted to English by clicking Eng at the top of the page. It is the correct page to get a non immigrant visa issued by immigration based upon being a family member of a Thai not at a embassy which is the same the one you posted is for but not for marriage. The following is what it is for.

image.png.b71629536b01f0b2ae962f0c4ad6d6d1.png

Personally, and I’ve no issue with others that choose to, I would rather DIY. I believe long term it pays....... but that just my opinion. 

I'd rather DIY myself but if the IO is difficult i and others might be forced to go the agency route

Reading through the many pages here, I suppose a transfer of about £900 a month would be do-able, and then could up a couple of payments to give a the 40k THB/month average if the need arises in future years, would only really be Eight more SWIFT transfers @ £9.60ea = £76.80 extra to what I would do in any case...not the end of the world I suppose.