BANGKOK 18 February 2019 13:28
webfact

CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, JLCrab said:

Especially if one spends time in the USA you can get an O-A visa in USA no Thai bank account required and no monthly transfers.

you can get the OA in the usa, but for future retirement extensions you have then deal with stuff in Thailand.  It would be nice if one started with an OA visa while in their home country then all future extensions could be done just using the funds and methods in the home country.  After all, if the VISA was good enough to begin with, then why can't things just be left alone.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, jacko45k said:

You may as well ask why their Embassies make it so hard by refusing to issue any more verification letters. TI are making it easier by giving them an alternative method.

You say foreign bank accounts, surely you mean local ones.

Foreign I mean a Thai bank account.  While that may make it easy for Thai officials, it brings up issues for some people that now have to open up Thai accounts.  One example is reporting foreign contacts, businesses, etc that has to be reported on security investigation forms.  I have no particular desire, and previously no need to open a Thai bank account.  yes there are some valid reasons besides this new immigration effort, but opening such account was never required before

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:50 PM, sumrit said:

Not entirely accurate. It's NOT money you have already spent, it's a minimum amount of money you have been forced to transfer into a Thai Bank from overseas every month, whether you actually need the money in Thailand or not. 

Yes a waste of time and money and costs for months when somebody may not even be in Thailand, say traveling home for a while before going back to Thailand.  

On 1/16/2019 at 2:30 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Shame Immigration dropped the ball immediately

I will shame to embassies who dropped the ball and kudos to TI to accommodate panicked people without pushing them to 400K/800K method or agents. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2019 at 12:33 AM, JackThompson said:

Thanks for this.  Many were under the false-impression that a Bangkok Bank account would always show Transferwise-transfers as international.  Clearly, this is not the case.

Last year (2018) out of 50 or so transfer (I transfer every week 15K Baht even when I am not in Thailand) using Transferwise to Bangkok Bank, only three are coded non FTT.  This year so far all codings are FTT. Listing in my mobile app shows International Transfer (no code)

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, onera1961 said:

ast year (2018) out of 50 or so transfer (I transfer every week 15K Baht even when I am not in Thailand) using Transferwise to Bangkok Bank, only three are coded non FTT.  This year so far all codings are FTT. Listing in my mobile app shows International Transfer (no code)

The Keeping it Simple proviso now does not seem so simple=

-If one makes 12 transfers per year- each month- there are 12 entries in the Passbook the IO is going to look at.  However, if one is making more than 12 at various amounts based on income there maybe many items-  the IO will allegedly- add them all up- check the coding- possibly check the Bank letter which apparently verifies the account is open and is true.

Then there is the coding on each transfer- it appears each bank has its own codes- not only FTT and each transfer even if international may not be coded as such and then there is the Transferwise conundrum- will an Imm Officer want to look through not only 12 transfers (or more) add them all up-and then look through the  documentation- another 12 sheets of paper proving  there were indeed 12  international transfers.

I have a feeling they will end up not caring about whether they are International transfers but only whether there is 65K in the account each month.  Otherwise- the lines will get longer  and longer.  So much for the KISS principle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The Keeping it Simple proviso now does not seem so simple=

-If one makes 12 transfers per year- each month- there are 12 entries in the Passbook the IO is going to look at.  However, if one is making more than 12 at various amounts based on income there maybe many items-  the IO will allegedly- add them all up- check the coding- possibly check the Bank letter which apparently verifies the account is open and is true.

Then there is the coding on each transfer- it appears each bank has its own codes- not only FTT and each transfer even if international may not be coded as such and then there is the Transferwise conundrum- will an Imm Officer want to look through not only 12 transfers (or more) add them all up-and then look through the  documentation- another 12 sheets of paper proving  there were indeed 12  international transfers.

Even if there is a hundred transactions in a month for a bank account, it takes only a single keystroke to show all the foreign transactions in it with an accumulated total.

10 minutes ago, farangx said:

Even if there is a hundred transactions in a month for a bank account, it takes only a single keystroke to show all the foreign transactions in it with an accumulated total.

Only  if you hit that keystroke and shows  the balance on your account summary- seems like alot of paperwork to go thru. 

I can show 3 pieces of paper and prove I have 65K as income each month and bring that much into Thailand without doing any bank transfers. The reason they don't want that is they really don't care about  income- and I doubt in the end they really won't care about source of money in bank nor how it got there.

14 minutes ago, farangx said:

I'll take your word for that as when I visited SCB to try to find out whether my 'income' is shown as international transfers - the lady didn't understand (or care) what I was talking about.

To be fair, when I tried to make it more obvious by pointing at my last 'income' - she printed out a page that did prove it to be a swift transfer from abroad.

Hopefully, the banks will over the coming months realise the new 'proof of income' regulations, that necessitate proving that the income comes from abroad, and it will be far easier.

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Only  if you hit that keystroke and shows  the balance on your account summary- seems like alot of paperwork to go thru. 

I can show 3 pieces of paper and prove I have 65K as income each month and bring that much into Thailand without doing any bank transfers. The reason they don't want that is they really don't care about  income- and I doubt in the end they really won't care about source of money in bank nor how it got there.

Oh, I can do better than that if I am the bank.  I will issue that letter to you for a fee (of course).  This letter will have no more than 20 lines with enough information in it for the IO to decide if he wants to see your stack of papers. 

I cannot even implicate myself with such a letter and this letter does not even have to be address to the IO because it is self explanatory.

Edited by farangx

27 minutes ago, farangx said:

Not sure I agree with that.

When I went to SCB she produced one page for the one income point to which I pointed - and that took a few minutes - certainly not one keystroke!

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not sure I agree with that.

When I went to SCB she produced one page for the one income point to which I pointed - and that took a few minutes....

When I said show it means online, how fast that printer prints is another story.  What that is certain is the staff is not going to pull out a calculator and start working on it in front of you.  If you did notice at SCB, the bank officer or manager is also involved in the preparation of this letter.

57 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I can show 3 pieces of paper and prove I have 65K as income each month and bring that much into Thailand without doing any bank transfers.

Maybe not you but the bunco artists could real easily send that money back to home the home country account and then withdraw it again via 3 ATM slips the following month.

Edited by JLCrab

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Maybe not you but the bunco artists could real easily send that money back to home the home country account and then withdraw it again via 3 ATM slips the following month.

Yes- possibly= but my actual point is that once we really look at how transfers work and the accompanying paperwork- bank Books; Bank Letters-  Transferwise documents or  Bank Advises proving foreign transfers- the IO will be overwhelmed and at this point they will say who cares where and how the money gets in the account- 

11 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Yes- possibly <snip> Transferwise documents <snip2>

The IO may only want to see an FTT in a Thai bank passbook and say:

Transferwise no way.

Edited by JLCrab