Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 February 2019 22:48
webfact

CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, farangx said:

If it was me and the bank cannot confirm them, I will change bank.

 

I am curious, is this TFN05030 a valid code?

 

I have no idea if TFN05030 a valid code but that is what is shown on my statement of 18 October 2018.

 

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet where the next nearest bank is 15 km away. It doesn't matter as I have gone from my providers sending the pension by Swift to my joint account, to them now sending to TW and I do the transfer to my KBank sole account.

 

From this month it still goes to TW in the UK and then I will do the transfer to my BKK bank account. That is the branch in Khampaeng Phet which is a mere 65 km away.

 

It is not quite that simple in rural Thailand to change banks as there are physically not a lot of them outside the cities or large towns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It is not quite that simple in rural Thailand to change banks as there are physically not a lot of them outside the cities or large towns.

Understood. Sometimes there aren't that many options.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keithet said:

Yes I plan to and after talking to Bangkok bank they understood what I'm talking about. But they want a work permit or embassy letter. But my US embassy only has blank afadavit form and I'm not sure what info the bank wants. 

I acquired a British Embassy income letter in December in readiness for my extension next month. When I opened a Bangkok Bank account last week they accepted that income letter as the Embassy Letter they require. Just needed my passport, yellow book and that letter to open the account.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re Post #1321 above, I believe that in banking language Kbank is using s "correspondent bank."  Not unusual.  Don't  worry about it.  Consistent transfers (which would be the easiest to spot on a statement) would be reflected in both your BOA statement and your KBank statement (a couple of days after the money is sent because of processing time.  No need to panic.

 

Nor do I think you have to worry about  a day early or late regarding transit time.  To keep things simple, do your transfers during the middle of each month.  Anyway, what you are doing is clear enough.  Just don't cut it too close on the currency exchange rate.  You'd go nuts otherwise.

 

I should add that doing this with Bangkok Bank is a piece of cake.

Edited by Mapguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just goes to show that those of you doing a 65k international transfer will find it not straightforward proving it is so. I am just waiting for a poster to say "I got my extension by just transfering 65k in and out of 2 thai bank accounts monthly". I would not be surprised if this is the case. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, keithet said:

Yes I plan to and after talking to Bangkok bank they understood what I'm talking about. But they want a work permit or embassy letter.

In that case a trip to your Kbank's main branch or head office may be necessary.  After you get that letter get the staff to make a copy of it so that next year you can show it to a branch near you to order that for you if they are not aware of it already.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, farangx said:

In that case a trip to your Kbank's main branch or head office may be necessary.  After you get that letter get the staff to make a copy of it so that next year you can show it to a branch near you to order that for you if they are not aware of it already.

 

When I did my exstension 17 this Jan last Thursday my wife and I went to Kbank at Changwatana down stairs from imagration and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. Gave us some bs about 500 baht and wait 1 month for a letter that shows monthly deposits  for the year no guarantee that it will show international deposit.  

I just did my exstension using embassy letter And want to try to get clarification from Kbank before I deposit for Feb. I don't want to find out middle of this year that Kbank's middle bank policy won't work. 

But knowing Bangkok bank is fully aware. 

Edited by keithet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimn said:

It just goes to show that those of you doing a 65k international transfer will find it not straightforward proving it is so.

I already can so what's the big deal -- no Transferwise SWIFT straight from bank to bank with FTT in the passbook. Already easy to do the 2-6 month statements online which my friendly of 10+ years bank manager will have no problem stamping and signing and has already said if the IMM folks give me any problem:

"Have them call me."

Edited by JLCrab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keithet said:

I just did my exstension using embassy letter And want to try to get clarification from Kbank before I deposit for Feb. I don't want to find out middle of this year that Kbank's middle bank policy won't work. 

But knowing Bangkok bank is fully aware. 

That should be good for next year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I already can so what's the big deal -- no Transferwise SWIFT straight from bank to bank with FTT in the passbook. Already easy to do the 2-6 month statements online which my friendly of 10+ years bank manager will have no problem stamping and signing and has already said if the IMM folks give me any problem:

"Have them call me."

What about the folk that don't have a personal 10+ yr bank manager. Or not using swift. Personally I would bring my money from au to los via carrier pidgin. Seriously as I have previously posted, members on Thaivisa esp JL would/should know most expats here cannot pack their own lunch. Let alone get their head around what's now required. Spend a weekend in a joint like udon and do random research about new changes. Oblivious oblivion.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Re Post #1321 above, I believe that in banking language Kbank is using s "correspondent bank."  Not unusual.  Don't  worry about it.  Consistent transfers (which would be the easiest to spot on a statement) would be reflected in both your BOA statement and your KBank statement (a couple of days after the money is sent because of processing time.  No need to panic.

 

Nor do I think you have to worry about  a day early or late regarding transit time.  To keep things simple, do your transfers during the middle of each month.  Anyway, what you are doing is clear enough.  Just don't cut it too close on the currency exchange rate.  You'd go nuts otherwise.

 

I should add that doing this with Bangkok Bank is a piece of cake.

A small part of the problem for me used to be that when I used the embassy letter ti IO would log on to the BKK bank and use the forex rate of (I think) bank notes.

 

TW always give a far better rate than any Thai bank.

 

This month and in the future I will use TW to transfer into my nice new shiny BKK sole account which will show the ACTUAL amount transferred. There will be no embassy letter as my renewal is in August and as I am unable to come up with 800,000 or even 400,000 baht (unless I win the lottery) it will be a change to a marriage extension and the monthly income method.

 

That WILL be fun, won't it children?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, keithet said:

Yes I plan to and after talking to Bangkok bank they understood what I'm talking about. But they want a work permit or embassy letter. But my US embassy only has blank afadavit form and I'm not sure what info the bank wants. 

There was a report earlier of someone using the bank income letter to satisfy Bangkok Bank's requirements.  I think the point is that just about anything you would get from the US Embassy with a pretty stamp on it would be enough.  I have heard that they will accept address verifications.  In other words, you write your name and address on the embassy affidavit and the embassy signs off that you are the person identified in the passport and that you swore that this is your address.  Basically, what the bank is looking for is someone to provide a document that "proves" who you are and an address verification from an embassy checks that box.  Who better to know if you are using a fraudulent passport than the US embassy?  Apparently, address verifications are something the embassy is used to doing so asking for one should be the easier path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 10:56 PM, alohatodon2 said:

I am getting conflicting reports on income transferred to a bank in Bankgok in 2019.   First, it was 35,000, then 40,000 and now  65,000 baht.  Which is the actual/real amount under the new law for an unmarried individual?

65000

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 4:56 AM, alohatodon2 said:

I am getting conflicting reports on income transferred to a bank in Bankgok in 2019.   First, it was 35,000, then 40,000 and now  65,000 baht.  Which is the actual/real amount under the new law for an unmarried individual?

There is no new law. The amount you need to transfer to Thailand if you are applying for an extension as a retiree is 65K, whether or not you are married.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What about the folk that don't have a personal 10+ yr bank manager. Or not using swift

Beats me -- what about them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...