BANGKOK 17 February 2019 09:46
webfact

CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

1 hour ago, friendofthai said:

I hope there will be stories of success soon. With locations of Imm. offices.

November 2019 (I hope) with 12 month's of 65K+ baht FTT SWIFT transfers.

ThaiVisa.com: Where you get razzed for following the rules instead of yammering why aren't the rules something else.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jimn said:

"I got my extension by just transfering 65k in and out of 2 thai bank accounts monthly". I would not be surprised if this is the case. 

That would seem to be a blatant non-qualifier so don't hold your breath,

9 hours ago, friendofthai said:

I hope there will be stories of success soon. With locations of Imm. offices.

The real success should show towards the end of this year.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That would seem to be a blatant non-qualifier so don't hold your breath,

We shall see.

14 hours ago, JLCrab said:

ThaiVisa.com: Where you get razzed for following the rules instead of yammering why aren't the rules something else.

I can follow the rules without any problem- but Thai Immigration refuses to follow their own rules.

When I did my exstension 17 this Jan last Thursday my wife and I went to Kbank at Changwatana down stairs from imagration and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. Gave us some bs about 500 baht and wait 1 month for a letter that shows monthly deposits  for the year no guarantee that it will show international deposit.  
I just did my exstension using embassy letter And want to try to get clarification from Kbank before I deposit for Feb. I don't want to find out middle of this year that Kbank's middle bank policy won't work. 
But knowing Bangkok bank is fully aware. 
With Kbank always best to call their main helpline and let them explain to branch staff.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Re Post #1321 above, I believe that in banking language Kbank is using s "correspondent bank."  Not unusual.  Don't  worry about it.  Consistent transfers (which would be the easiest to spot on a statement) would be reflected in both your BOA statement and your KBank statement (a couple of days after the money is sent because of processing time.  No need to panic.

Nor do I think you have to worry about  a day early or late regarding transit time.  To keep things simple, do your transfers during the middle of each month.  Anyway, what you are doing is clear enough.  Just don't cut it too close on the currency exchange rate.  You'd go nuts otherwise.

I should add that doing this with Bangkok Bank is a piece of cake.
If they are using a correspondent bank for Swift transfer the whole thing including point of origin of the funds. Get copies of the Credit Advices.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Made my first SWIFT transfer from my UK account to my Bangkok Bank account last week. Took exactly 3 days to reach my account, shows as "International Transfer" on my online statement. Charged £9.50 by my UK bank and possibly 200 baht by Bangkok Bank (not certain).

Biggest downside was that I asked for the money to be sent in Baht and got a rate of 39.6 Baht/GBP.

I had withdrawn the same amount using my UK CC 4 weeks earlier and got a rate of 41.2. No bank charges at either end.

Easy enough to do, less convenient and noticeably more expensive.

Big question is: Do I get the best rate sending the money in GBP or THB, and how can I check the respective rates before making a transfer?

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Made my first SWIFT transfer from my UK account to my Bangkok Bank account last week. Took exactly 3 days to reach my account, shows as "International Transfer" on my online statement. Charged £9.50 by my UK bank and possibly 200 baht by Bangkok Bank (not certain).

Biggest downside was that I asked for the money to be sent in Baht and got a rate of 39.6 Baht/GBP.

I had withdrawn the same amount using my UK CC 4 weeks earlier and got a rate of 41.2. No bank charges at either end.

Easy enough to do, less convenient and noticeably more expensive.

Big question is: Do I get the best rate sending the money in GBP or THB, and how can I check the respective rates before making a transfer?

Which UK bank do you use if you don’t mind me asking. Santander charge £25. 

16 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I can follow the rules without any problem- but Thai Immigration refuses to follow their own rules.

Their ball and their bat so I guess you lose.

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Which UK bank do you use if you don’t mind me asking. Santander charge £25. 

Halifax. Also use Halifax Clarity CC for in bank withdrawals. Zero charges at either end.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Halifax. Also use Halifax Clarity CC for in bank withdrawals. Zero charges at either end.

Good Q re sending baht vs £. 

Something I need to know myself. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Good Q re sending baht vs £. 

Something I need to know myself. 

This is one of the reasons I send using Transferwise... You know EXACTLY what rate has been applied, and what baht you will receive.

They update their rates in line with the MMR (Mid Market Rate) continuously, and you can see their rate changing if you update their quote page (or even just change the amount to be sent, i.e. 1000 to 1001 to 1000 again.)

But unless the source of the funds is unimportant to you (i.e. 800k savings) then it's risky if you're using someone other than Bangkok Bank to receive them.

If you SWIFT in GBP, then you will only get the receiving bank rate when the funds arrive (and IMO this is open to abuse).  But SWIFT sending THB from a UK bank and you'll get a much lower rate... but at lest you'll know upfront what it will be (if you ask).

26 minutes ago, steve73 said:

If you SWIFT in GBP, then you will only get the receiving bank rate when the funds arrive (and IMO this is open to abuse).  But SWIFT sending THB from a UK bank and you'll get a much lower rate... but at lest you'll know upfront what it will be (if you ask).

I use Bangkok Bank. I would really like to check the 2 rates online before making the transfer.

I have looked into TransferWise. For me, it has no advantages. Fee is pretty much identical to the fee charged by my UK bank for SWIFT transfer. Also the rate, when I checked, was not quite as good as the rate I was getting using my CC (Mastercard). I would be happy if I could achieve a similar rate to this on a SWIFT transfer. Also, don't like the idea of using a 3rd party. i.e. Setting up an account with TransferWise, transferring the required funds from my UK bank to TransferWise, then making another transfer from TransferWise to my Thai bank account. A bit messy. Easier to SWIFT transfer my funds directly from my UK bank to my Thai bank.

I just need a decent, verifiable exchange rate.