Nightmare On Pattaya Beach

Banana7

Oh look another pattaya sucks but I keep going/living there and whining about it thread. Also, let's make it sound overly dramatic using words like "Nightmare".  How DARE Thailand have tides!!! 

Hyperbole aside, that beach is kept pretty clean these days as far as I can tell. I see people there cleaning it constantly.  They look like official city people but I don't know who they are exactly.  It's not perfect.  There is some garbage left there, probably mostly by Thais themselves, but it's kept fairly clean these days as far as I can tell.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/22/2019 at 4:22 PM, madmen said:

Never seen sand that color , probably not pattaya or just a very poor pic !

Go down to the south end of the beach and have look when you're sober, or get some new glasses.  That's a true genuine photo of Pattaya Beach, taken from about where Royal Garden shopping Mall is opposite the beach looking North. Holiday Inn and Markland are distinct, even Dusit Thani is recognizable, dark building in the centre looks like the Hilton, tall building to left with white dome is probable Sky Beach condo

On 9/25/2019 at 11:09 AM, fhickson said:

no, its dirty bro. if you want great beaches try danang or ko tarutau. did you see some postcard with a nice clean white sand beach?

No need to be so far !

Tourists who want nice beaches in Pattaya just take the boat to Koh Larn island.

Crystal water & white sand beaches just 7 km off Pattaya ????

tien-beach.jpg?w=584

59 minutes ago, johng said:

Koh Larn is often overrun with Chinese tourists.

Just goes to show, no matter what you say, the haters will try spin it some other way.

And a couple years ago you were probably saying it's overrun by Russian tourists.  And at the same time you are probably saying Pattaya is doomed because there are not enough tourists.  Or not enough of the right kind of tourists depending on what subject you are hating on.  :cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 1:38 PM, shdmn said:

Oh look another pattaya sucks but I keep going/living there and whining about it thread. Also, let's make it sound overly dramatic using words like "Nightmare".  How DARE Thailand have tides!!! 

Hyperbole aside, that beach is kept pretty clean these days as far as I can tell. I see people there cleaning it constantly.  They look like official city people but I don't know who they are exactly.  It's not perfect.  There is some garbage left there, probably mostly by Thais themselves, but it's kept fairly clean these days as far as I can tell.

theres actually some decent empty spots if you walk up towards pratumnak.

to find them just keep walking until you see no chairs, thai hawkers or low life locals. got some quality time in today.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:55 PM, shdmn said:

Just goes to show, no matter what you say, the haters will try spin it some other way.

Are you saying Koh Larn is not over run with Chinese?  Thailand is not renowned for its approach to sustainable tourism. 

On 9/27/2019 at 12:55 PM, shdmn said:

And a couple years ago you were probably saying it's overrun by Russian tourists.  And at the same time you are probably saying Pattaya is doomed because there are not enough tourists.  Or not enough of the right kind of tourists depending on what subject you are hating on.  :cheesy:

he is 100% correct, have you been there recently to even form an opinion or criticize - obviously not, and rather than criticism of other posters how about offering you own views on the topic based on your own experience 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

he is 100% correct, have you been there recently to even form an opinion or criticize - obviously not, and rather than criticism of other posters how about offering you own views on the topic based on your own experience 

I have no idea what point you are trying to make.  So maybe make it first instead of this point shoot aim stuff.

17 hours ago, shdmn said:

I have no idea what point you are trying to make.  So maybe make it first instead of this point shoot aim stuff.

I think the point he is trying to make is Koh Larn is in fact over run with Chinese tourists, and you are not a Pattaya / Thailand "hater" to say so. 

On 1/7/2019 at 9:14 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Since when was Pattaya either a world class beach resort or a family friendly beach?

It used to be a cheap and cheerful paradise for mongers till the occupants of city hall saw baht signs in their eyes and tried to make it into something it can never be, All they did was ruin it for the mongers and it will never be a  decent resort unless they bulldoze the entire place and start over.

All that's happened is it's become an overpriced mess.

As well known, one can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

They destroyed Walking Street, I loved the freak show carnival, the Sodom and Gomorrah without the violence + cruelty, definitely the place to be for a guy like me at that stage in life, even getting up on the bar and dancing between poles with the strippers who didn't get mad - instead they made room. I had a very cute girl with me - not a working girl but a lovely young Thai lady (who later told me she was a lady-boy though I think she may have been playing with me - that was all the female I need - I didn't get close enough to verify one way or the other) she was enjoying the show and as I was cuddling her I was eyeing and ping-pong balling another, like I died and found myself in Heaven. Only a slight exaggeration. But now? What is it supposed to be? A rock'n roll Disneyland? Who needs that? And the overactive cops setting up road blocks and pulling over everyone, they shook me down for 20,000 baht claiming I blew a "seven" when the legal limit is two. Really? A seven? I had two drinks in about two hours so they smelled it - which apparently that - and guns and badges was all it takes. Worse part is adding the insult to injury, handing me back my keys as soon as I paid the "fine" - as if my alcohol level, a half hour later suddenly didn't matter. 

And over the past few years - it seems the natives I fell in love with on my first trips in the 80's are no longer visible and on plentiful supply, replaced by cold, nasty, rude and even hostile strangers who seem to want to communicate: "we are barely tolerating you here."

I would no longer describe it as LOS. If it wasn't for the fact that I am very comfortable with my hotel (in Jomtien) and the people who run it, and of course the still great food, the elephants and motorcycles, and the easy access to lovely (real) Thai ladies I would call it a wrap after my ~20 visits and maybe check out the Philippines. Vietnam was okay, (gorgeous little Asian Elizabeth Taylors) but Cambodia gave me nightmares. Something about torture prisons gives me the creeps. Laos twice was stunning, the natural beauty and the "happy pizza" was interesting but it's really pretty bare bones for a two month stay. So I'll probably head back to Siam but the dye is not yet cast for this winter. Thoughts anyone?

3 hours ago, bigrobtheactor said:

the natives I fell in love with on my first trips in the 80's are no longer visible and on plentiful supply, replaced by cold, nasty, rude and even hostile strangers who seem to want to communicate: "we are barely tolerating you here."

It has been well known for some time now that, "they want our money here, but not us here."  In the future, they may have neither. 

21 hours ago, bigrobtheactor said:

even getting up on the bar and dancing between poles with the strippers who didn't get mad

Aaaaaarg, my pet hate, some drunken idiot causing me to upchuck my pie and chips!

20 hours ago, HLover said:

Maybe your just old and unattractive to them now?

That too, but also the locals have changed not for the better. That old nature that attracted me to Thailand can still be found in rural places, but Pattaya, and Bangkok too, squeezes it out. 

On 10/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, fhickson said:

theres actually some decent empty spots if you walk up towards pratumnak.

to find them just keep walking until you see no chairs, thai hawkers or low life locals. got some quality time in today.

What do you mean by low life locals? Whats wrong with hawkers? 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:58 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I don't see a problem with boats and jet skis but yes the rubbish is a problem. i don't get why a tractor doesn't go up and down every morning raking the beach of of all sorts. Water not so easy to clean

Yeah, there are many such vehicles or towed attachments all over the world used on many beaches. 

Duh I think it is called the tide went out geez it happens everywhere the tide goes outNo boat operator would park his boat up on the beach and then may have a problem getting it off. The tide goes out and the tide comes in

On 1/7/2019 at 9:58 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I don't see a problem with boats and jet skis but yes the rubbish is a problem. i don't get why a tractor doesn't go up and down every morning raking the beach of of all sorts. Water not so easy to clean

It's the big noise from the boats, and the exhaust fumes, that make them operating on the beach unpleasant.  Then, you have the pedestrian traffic coming and going from the boats, across the sand, and the associated commercial transactions taking place.  Doesn't make for a relaxing beach experience, listening to waves hit the shore.  

I have no problem with the early morning tractor cleaning and leveling the sand, but since when do local officials spend money on something that makes sense here? 

As far as the cleanliness of the water here, that's almost an impossibility to change now.  Pattaya was built on making a quick baht, with no thought for sustainable tourism or the environment. 

Back then, and now, they didn't care about the very natural attraction that lured people to Pattaya in the first place.

Archived