Nightmare On Pattaya Beach

Banana7

On 10/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, bigrobtheactor said:

And over the past few years - it seems the natives I fell in love with on my first trips in the 80's are no longer visible and on plentiful supply, replaced by cold, nasty, rude and even hostile strangers who seem to want to communicate: "we are barely tolerating you here."

I would no longer describe it as LOS. If it wasn't for the fact that I am very comfortable with my hotel (in Jomtien) and the people who run it, and of course the still great food, the elephants and motorcycles, and the easy access to lovely (real) Thai ladies I would call it a wrap after my ~20 visits and maybe check out the Philippines. Vietnam was okay, (gorgeous little Asian Elizabeth Taylors) but Cambodia gave me nightmares. Something about torture prisons gives me the creeps. Laos twice was stunning, the natural beauty and the "happy pizza" was interesting but it's really pretty bare bones for a two month stay. So I'll probably head back to Siam but the dye is not yet cast for this winter. Thoughts anyone?

bali

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, fhickson said:

anyone seen the 99construction all along beach road at night with open trenches and uncapped rebar.

unbelievable. a virtual suicide pit for unsuspecting drunks stumbling around. no signage or barriers.

Indeed and it's also a daytime horror show . I would be surprised if any visitors coming for beach days are going to last long. And it's going to be tough season for Beach road businesses. 

7 hours ago, fhickson said:

anyone seen the construction all along beach road at night with open trenches and uncapped rebar.

unbelievable. a virtual suicide pit for unsuspecting drunks stumbling around. no signage or barriers.

Hyperbole much?  I guess you haven't been to Thailand before or are just trying get into the "Pattaya is doomed" spirit around here.  It's just normal construction.  If you notice, they don't wear ear protection or steel toed boots either.  I don't think Thais are concerned with drunks doing stupid things and signage is certainly not going to stop that.

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Indeed and it's also a daytime horror show . I would be surprised if any visitors coming for beach days are going to last long. And it's going to be tough season for Beach road businesses. 

A HORROR SHOW!!!! NIGHTMARE!!!!

You guys are hilarious.   Oh oh, look at this horror show/nightmare at the beach.  Pattaya is DOOMED!  Dooooooomed!

doomed22.jpg

doomed23.jpg

doomed24.jpg

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

A HORROR SHOW!!!! NIGHTMARE!!!!

You guys are hilarious.   Oh oh, look at this horror show/nightmare at the beach.  Pattaya is DOOMED!  Dooooooomed!

doomed22.jpg

doomed23.jpg

doomed24.jpg

You have some good photos of the jet ski and speed boat security guys taking in the sunset and the beach at night.  ????

On 10/13/2019 at 1:31 PM, shdmn said:

I don't think Thais are concerned with drunks doing stupid things and signage is certainly not going to stop that.

So, come to Thailand, spend your money, get drunk, but Thailand takes no responsibility for your life.  ????

Photo # 1 Another tough day for Beach rd businesses

Photo #2 The walkway pavers are going to have to be redone

Photo #3 Entrance to Walking st

All photos taken today. Maybe completed in one year. Someone on another forum said the main drain pipe

is filliong up with sand and debris. I would not want to say they might be losing control of this project.

IMG_20191019_093026.jpg

IMG_20191019_093059.jpg

IMG_20191019_094056.jpg

On 10/20/2019 at 10:18 AM, jacko45k said:

The quality of the pictures gets better with time, but not the quality of the work!

They build the construction to fail so they can get the repair contract next year from their "friend" in government.  ????

They build the construction to fail so they can get the repair contract next year from their "friend" in government.  [emoji846]
Your post suggest that they have a level of intelligence to think that far ahead, I beg to differ......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Anythingleft? said:

Your post suggest that they have a level of intelligence to think that far ahead, I beg to differ......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

One thing the Thai's are good at is corruption.   ????

On 10/19/2019 at 1:55 AM, johng said:

Looks strangely familiar

(here are some from 2005 Déjà vu )\\

They already completed several sections and have poured a lot of the concrete over them.  Why are you just taking pictures of the unfinished sections?  Could it be that you are trying to sell a narrative that this is yet another (imaginary) Thai failure?  Like the imaginary tunnel construction failure this board was obsessed with until that (shockingly) turned out to not be true.  Now I guess you all are going to obsess about this imaginary failure.

BTW, this drain pipe upgrade construction is apparently going the entire length of Beach Road all the way to Dusit Thani.  It is scheduled to go on till at least February so yes, it is scheduled to be going on during high season.  However, it looks like they plan complete the current section around Royal Garden and Walking Street before then because they have done a lot of that already including pouring concrete over the new drain pipe.

4 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Why are you just taking pictures of the unfinished sections?

You missed the bit about my photos being taken in 2005 ?

that time it was to bury cables, they had a "boring machine" but still had to dig up most of the promenade as you can see in the photos.

6 minutes ago, shdmn said:

this drain pipe upgrade construction is apparently going the entire length of Beach Road all the way to Dusit Thani. 

It's also going further south past Soi VC where the progress seems to have stopped,they ripped up one whole lane and dug some big holes.

(this photo taken  27th July 2019 @ 11.52 AM )

P_20190727_115248.thumb.jpg.ba2c4a5344b442ea0129b79ad31d9e47.jpg

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

They build the construction to fail so they can get the repair contract next year from their "friend" in government.  ????

Coincidentally, which family do you think owns the biggest construction company?

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

There could be some simpler cases where the workers/contractors know they are going to be paid and long gone when the project fails. So consequently care less. 

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

There could be some simpler cases where the workers/contractors know they are going to be paid and long gone when the project fails. So consequently care less. 

Why run away when a family member is is government and will keep giving you contracts, for a fee, of course.  ????

A world class beach resort? Why on earth would you even consider saying that?

You want a world class beach?

Tikehau Island, French Polynesia. Can't decide whether you want white- or pink-sand beaches? ... 

Dreamland Beach, Bali. ... 

Bathsheba Beach, Barbados. ... 

Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. ... 

Horseshoe Bay, Bermuda. ... 

Harbour Island, Bahamas. ... 

Blue Beach (La Chiva), Vieques, Puerto Rico. ... 

Trunk Bay, St. John, USVI.

Maipio Valley Beach, Big Island, Hawaii

Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos

Lindquist Beach, St. Thomas

Palm Beach, Aruba

Honopu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii

Any mention of any beach on the Gulf Coast of Thailand, within the same sentence as paradise, is mere hyperbole, and an outright lie. Total fabrication. Fiction. Political and tourism nonsense. Let's get real. 

Granted there are some very nice beaches between Pranburi and Ban Saphan Noi, with very few people on them during the week. But world class? Hardly.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:22 AM, spidermike007 said:

A world class beach resort? Why on earth would you even consider saying that?

You want a world class beach?

Tikehau Island, French Polynesia. Can't decide whether you want white- or pink-sand beaches? ... 

Dreamland Beach, Bali. ... 

Bathsheba Beach, Barbados. ... 

Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. ... 

Horseshoe Bay, Bermuda. ... 

Harbour Island, Bahamas. ... 

Blue Beach (La Chiva), Vieques, Puerto Rico. ... 

Trunk Bay, St. John, USVI.

Maipio Valley Beach, Big Island, Hawaii

Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos

Lindquist Beach, St. Thomas

Palm Beach, Aruba

Honopu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii

Any mention of any beach on the Gulf Coast of Thailand, within the same sentence as paradise, is mere hyperbole, and an outright lie. Total fabrication. Fiction. Political and tourism nonsense. Let's get real. 

Granted there are some very nice beaches between Pranburi and Ban Saphan Noi, with very few people on them during the week. But world class? Hardly.

My vote goes to Sandorini, or Ios in the Greek Cyclades archipelago. I will also nod to the beach in Tel-Aviv, especially at night or just as the Sabbath (Friday later afternoon) arrives. I loved Rio de Janiero too and Salvador Bahia. Wild. Really. Got my "package" grabbed by roaming packs of teenage girls. There's a tiny beach on Rapa Nui, (Easter Island) that was unforgettable, with the moai staring down at us, "guarding" the harbor. Peaceful and remote, everyone thrilled to be there, a once-in-a-lifetime visit to Earth's most remotely inhabited shore - all of a sudden, family with strangers. Cape Cod ain't bad neither. Thanks for your list. Noted.

Archived