Nightmare On Pattaya Beach

Banana7

12 hours ago, bigrobtheactor said:

My vote goes to Sandorini, or Ios in the Greek Cyclades archipelago. I will also nod to the beach in Tel-Aviv, especially at night or just as the Sabbath (Friday later afternoon) arrives. I loved Rio de Janiero too and Salvador Bahia. Wild. Really. Got my "package" grabbed by roaming packs of teenage girls. There's a tiny beach on Rapa Nui, (Easter Island) that was unforgettable, with the moai staring down at us, "guarding" the harbor. Peaceful and remote, everyone thrilled to be there, a once-in-a-lifetime visit to Earth's most remotely inhabited shore - all of a sudden, family with strangers. Cape Cod ain't bad neither. Thanks for your list. Noted.

Granted the Eastern Seaboard region of the Gulf of Thailand is nowhere near the top of anyone's list of World Class Beaches, but just a few hours drive and a short ferry ride from the cesspit lies Koh Chang, which still has it's share of natural beauty and certainly rates a visit.

The Andaman Sea coast of Thailand from Phang Nga, Trang, Krabi, Khao Lak, with all the famously picturesque islands and beaches along the way to the Malaysian border should meet any sane person's definition of World Class tourist destinations.  Any argument to the contrary would be nothing short of absurd.

My personal list of favorites, some of which I've visited and others I've only seen in pictures, would include Aruba, St. Maarten, the French and Italian Rivieras, Ibiza, Mallorca, Rio de Janeiro (the Girl from Ipanema!), and the list goes on.

Pattaya Beach Road circa 2000 certainly had it's World-Class tourist attractions, but the beach itself was never one of them...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, jing jing said:

but just a few hours drive and a short ferry ride from the cesspit lies Koh Chang, which still has it's share of natural beauty and certainly rates a visit.

Well personally I found it took longer and was a bit arduous from Pattaya. The cost of being transported is a bit high... pre-pay for the ferry and you probably paid 5x the regular price. 

On 10/23/2019 at 3:38 AM, jing jing said:

Granted the Eastern Seaboard region of the Gulf of Thailand is nowhere near the top of anyone's list of World Class Beaches, but just a few hours drive and a short ferry ride from the cesspit lies Koh Chang, which still has it's share of natural beauty and certainly rates a visit.

The Andaman Sea coast of Thailand from Phang Nga, Trang, Krabi, Khao Lak, with all the famously picturesque islands and beaches along the way to the Malaysian border should meet any sane person's definition of World Class tourist destinations.  Any argument to the contrary would be nothing short of absurd.

My personal list of favorites, some of which I've visited and others I've only seen in pictures, would include Aruba, St. Maarten, the French and Italian Rivieras, Ibiza, Mallorca, Rio de Janeiro (the Girl from Ipanema!), and the list goes on.

Pattaya Beach Road circa 2000 certainly had it's World-Class tourist attractions, but the beach itself was never one of them...

Yes, of course Trang, I'll even name the beach, Hat Pak Meng, and yes, Krabi as well. I was in Phuket in the 80's, much less developed, loved it more then. Thanks for reminding me. The French Riviera? Not so much. Too rocky, the beach, and no surf. But it certainly maintains its elite cache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKxF6vyCk04

On 10/21/2019 at 6:22 AM, spidermike007 said:

A world class beach resort? Why on earth would you even consider saying that?

You want a world class beach?

Tikehau Island, French Polynesia. Can't decide whether you want white- or pink-sand beaches? ... 

Dreamland Beach, Bali. ... 

Bathsheba Beach, Barbados. ... 

Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. ... 

Horseshoe Bay, Bermuda. ... 

Harbour Island, Bahamas. ... 

Blue Beach (La Chiva), Vieques, Puerto Rico. ... 

Trunk Bay, St. John, USVI.

Maipio Valley Beach, Big Island, Hawaii

Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos

Lindquist Beach, St. Thomas

Palm Beach, Aruba

Honopu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii

Any mention of any beach on the Gulf Coast of Thailand, within the same sentence as paradise, is mere hyperbole, and an outright lie. Total fabrication. Fiction. Political and tourism nonsense. Let's get real. 

Granted there are some very nice beaches between Pranburi and Ban Saphan Noi, with very few people on them during the week. But world class? Hardly.

Why are you here then?  I'm sure those places have their own forums somewhere.

I have looked around a lot and it's pretty hard to find the combination of things Pattaya has to offer.   It's not just about white sand beaches but it all depends what you are looking for.  Sounds like Pattaya is not your kind of place.  So maybe you should leave and stop posting here.

12 hours ago, shdmn said:

Why are you here then?  I'm sure those places have their own forums somewhere.

I have looked around a lot and it's pretty hard to find the combination of things Pattaya has to offer.   It's not just about white sand beaches but it all depends what you are looking for.  Sounds like Pattaya is not your kind of place.  So maybe you should leave and stop posting here.

Quite lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". 

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

I do not live in Pattaya. But, I do live in Thailand. Why such thin skin? Where is your self esteem?

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Quite lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". 

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

I do not live in Pattaya. But, I do live in Thailand. Why such thin skin? Where is your self esteem?

got the same treatment when i griped about bar service earlier.

some people just cant take any kind of critisizm at all. the answer is always just run or find another place.

makes one wonder why they are here and what problems they left behind somewhere.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions?

Yeah but all you do is complain. And its always the juntas or Trumps fault. Neither of whom are going away.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Today I learned that people who incessantly complain and blame Thai's for everything, including their current situation in life, without contributing to the discussion whatsoever, are not the ones with issues.  It's the people who point that out to them.  Rrrright.  ????

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many people have put all their financial and emotional eggs in the Thailand basket, and need to reinforce their decision to themselves on forums such as these, thus, everything in Thailand is great, everything in Thailand is successful, collectively Thai people are nice, Thailand has great governance, Thailand has great infrastructure, Thailand's visa system is user friendly, they have never lost a baht in Thailand etc etc.  

What is interesting is when you ask these very pro Thailand people where else have they been in the region, many say nowhere else.  Then, I just smile and change the subject.   ????

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Many people have put all their financial and emotional eggs in the Thailand basket, and need to reinforce their decision to themselves on forums such as these, thus, everything in Thailand is great, everything in Thailand is successful, collectively Thai people are nice, Thailand has great governance, Thailand has great infrastructure, Thailand's visa system is user friendly, they have never lost a baht in Thailand etc etc.  

What is interesting is when you ask these very pro Thailand people where else have they been in the region, many say nowhere else.  Then, I just smile and change the subject.   ????

a better question is to ask where these people are coming from.

i always picture some hellhole ghetto somewhere, but these types dont usually have the means of international travel and are typically stuck in their situation and dont envision a way out as possible.

it could also be people who have been around awhile and just irritated by hearing expat complaints whether they have merit or not and lash out at any mention of a negative.

42 minutes ago, fhickson said:

i always picture some hellhole ghetto somewhere, but these types dont usually have the means of international travel and are typically stuck in their situation and dont envision a way out as possible.

Sounds like Philippines or Vietnam?  Perhaps Cambodia on a good day?

56 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

many inner city areas of the usa are worse. i could see people from those areas coming here and not understanding any complaints, but they cant usually afford the airfare over and/or stop collecting welfare long enough for a vacation to the local liquor store.

many of the nasty comments seem to be low life type responses, like the writers are ghetto or ill mannered, just go home etc., like i would hear in a rough or poor area in the states.

4 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Per Cambodia, we need more positive feedback there. PP is a shxthole and the one place I quite enjoyed there many years ago, Sihanoukville, is hell on earth these days and not Gaijin friendly.  Is Siam Reap worth considering? 

11 hours ago, fhickson said:

dont usually have the means of international travel and are typically stuck in their situation and dont envision a way out as possible.

Which is probably why they don't want to hear about the situation they are stuck in. 

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Per Cambodia, we need more positive feedback there. PP is a shxthole and the one place I quite enjoyed there many years ago, Sihanoukville, is hell on earth these days and not Gaijin friendly.  Is Siam Reap worth considering? 

not for more then a month or two.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So the whole country, as a retirement option, actually isn't? 

its over hyped imo. i lived there for about a year total, pp, sr, snooky. it was not a permanent option for me.

the main issue i had with cambodia was boredom, just not much there to do. not much there. touts became a deal breaker after awhile, it was that bad, esp the taxi guys, got to the point of anger towards the end.

in a nutshell its an option while your relatively young and healthy if your on a limited budget.

on a positive note, i felt REALLY free and more creative and innovative then i have most other places. nobody watching over you or gives a <deleted>.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:12 AM, jacko45k said:

I heard a lot of the Sihanoukville expats have relocated to Kampot.  I have been Kampot before, but not since the great migration. 

On 10/30/2019 at 3:38 PM, fhickson said:

its over hyped imo. i lived there for about a year total, pp, sr, snooky. it was not a permanent option for me.

the main issue i had with cambodia was boredom, just not much there to do. not much there. touts became a deal breaker after awhile, it was that bad, esp the taxi guys, got to the point of anger towards the end.

in a nutshell its an option while your relatively young and healthy if your on a limited budget.

on a positive note, i felt REALLY free and more creative and innovative then i have most other places. nobody watching over you or gives a <deleted>.

What year was it that you stayed?

Archived