Robert De Niro: ‘Trump is a real racist, a white supremacist’

snoop1130

Robert De Niro: ‘Trump is a real racist, a white supremacist’

by David Smith

3813.jpg

‘Trump’s a con artist and what bothers me is that people don’t see that’ … De Niro. Photograph: Christopher Lane/Guardian; grooming by Lynda Eichner for Trees and Flowers for Skin, shot on location at The Greenwich Hotel, Tribeca, NYC

Here, with Orson Welles and Spike Lee on the walls, and James Dean and Natalie Wood on the doors to the toilets, is where Robert De Niro might have died.

In October, a pipe bomb addressed to the actor was sent to the New York warehouse where his film production company hugs an atrium dotted with vintage movie posters.

A security guard found the suspicious package in the mailroom at 5am and police vehicles swarmed the Tribeca neighbourhood before dawn.

De Niro got a call from security early that morning telling him the pipe bomb was being removed.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/06/robert-de-niro-trump-is-a-real-racist-a-white-supremacist

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trump and his big stupid mouth have a long history of racist and racist leaning comments.

The authors of a New York Times op-ed piece nicely compiled a history of many of them:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/15/opinion/leonhardt-trump-racist.html

The media often falls back on euphemisms when describing Trump’s comments about race: racially loaded, racially charged, racially tinged, racially sensitive. And Trump himself has claimed that he is “the least racist person.” But here’s the truth: Donald Trump is a racist. He talks about and treats people differently based on their race. He has done so for years, and he is still doing so.

This weiner is so washed up that the only way he stay in the light is to cause a ruckus about the president. I used to like De Niro. I won’t watch any new movies from him. ‘Heat’ is still one of my favorites, though. 

23 minutes ago, lust said:

This weiner is so washed up that the only way he stay in the light is to cause a ruckus about the president. I used to like De Niro. I won’t watch any new movies from him. ‘Heat’ is still one of my favorites, though. 

I don't let politics get in the way of entertainment. I've been to Wagner operas. Put me to sleep but I gave him a chance. Still think James Woods is a great actor even though politically he is a total A-hole. I draw the line at Tom Cruise though. Scientology is evil. 

13 hours ago, lust said:

Can be a bit of a <deleted> though..

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't let politics get in the way of entertainment. I've been to Wagner operas. Put me to sleep but I gave him a chance. Still think James Woods is a great actor even though politically he is a total A-hole. I draw the line at Tom Cruise though. Scientology is evil. 

Yeah, cruise is a nutter, but he’s pretty talented and is quite committed to his roles and stunts.

What nonsense. De Niro obviously has not seen the awards presented to Donald Trump over the years by those like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Don King for supporting and helping the black community. I guess because Trump does not subscribe to leftist groupthink then you must start the name calling. 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

We can't know what is in the illegitimate president's heart but we do know his history of tweets and speech. Those are pretty darned racist (birther movement) and certainly pandering to white nationalists and worse. 

“We can’t know”

Yes, we pretty much can. He’s been twice fined (largest settlement in the histroy of HUD) for racist rental practices. He called for the death penalty for the central park five, *after* DNA evidence proved their innocence. He claimed a judge couldn’t be partial in his case because the judge was a Mexican descent. He was a birther. He called people marching with Nazis “good people.” He launched his presidential campaign by calling most Mexicans coming across the border rapists and criminals. One of his first executive actions was the muslim ban. Hispanic kids in cages as a deliberate policy choice.

The list can go on and on.

2 hours ago, Thakkar said:
“We can’t know”

Yes, we pretty much can. He’s been twice fined (largest settlement in the histroy of HUD) for racist rental practices. He called for the death penalty for the central park five, *after* DNA evidence proved their innocence. He claimed a judge couldn’t be partial in his case because the judge was a Mexican descent. He was a birther. He called people marching with Nazis “good people.” He launched his presidential campaign by calling most Mexicans coming across the border rapists and criminals. One of his first executive actions was the muslim ban. Hispanic kids in cages as a deliberate policy choice.

The list can go on and on.

You're probably right. However even though I think Individual-1 is a remarkably horrible person and it's tragic that he's president, I just don't see the upside of calling him personally a racist. I think it's better to focus on his lies, statements, policies, and actions which speak for themselves in a very negative way without using that label. Why? Too many white people get very defensive about that and assume we're also calling them all also racist that ever supported him. Of course many of them are but still I don't think it helps to encourage people to be defensive.  He needed white people to win and a key part of accelerating his downfall will also involve white people. It already has in the midterms.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're probably right. However even though I think Individual-1 is a remarkably horrible person and it's tragic that he's president, I just don't see the upside of calling him personally a racist. I think it's better to focus on his lies, statements, policies, and actions which speak for themselves in a very negative way without using that label. Why? Too many white people get very defensive about that and assume we're also calling them all also racist that ever supported him. Of course many of them are but still I don't think it helps to encourage people to be defensive.  He needed white people to win and a key part of accelerating his downfall will also involve white people. It already has in the midterms.

Often, I find that racist don’t know they are racist. They grew up with and associate with others of their kind. The way they think and feel keeps getting validated. The sarcasm about people like them in comedy shows goes over their heads. Many are beyond the reach of reason or compassion. But many just need to be shown a mirror at an opportune time, by the right person, in the right manner to wake up and gain some kind of epiphany.

On a practical level, I don’t agree that coddling The Deplorable is good electoral politics. Perhaps HRC shouldn’t have said what she said, but her apology to the deplorables made things worse. I’m sure none of them forgave her and voted for her. I’m pretty sure that some of her supporters that agreed with her were dismayed at her caving, and, sure of her victory, decided to stay home on election day.

The truth is out: Trump is racist, and so are the majority of his supporters. Politicians who mollycoddle them are likely to lose more votes than they’re likely to gain.

Racists are wrong to be racist, and they *should* be defensive.

The beauty of a democracy is the right to make a fool of one's self without consequence. This applies to actors, politicians and people who post on social media...myself included. Try doing the same in countries not enjoying such freedom.

15 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Oh my, a castle in the sky, pampered actor, surrounded by sycophants, has an opinion. World news, stop the presses!

I thought it was a good, interesting read.

The guy has more morals, intellect, wit, & balls in his small finger than the lying, cheating, dishonest imbecile Trump has in his whole body.

This legendary actor, is just saying what needs to be said. He is only speaking the truth, that the majority of the world knows. He is not making this stuff up. Trump showed with Charlottesville, and countless other occasions that he despises people of color. That much is certain. 

Nice to see people in a position of celebrity, speaking out. I love what Christian Bale said at the Golden Globes about Cheney. Fantastic stuff. Thought the Satan part may be a bit of an exaggeration, it sure was funny. The lack of charisma sure was true! 

Actually the full story is pretty weak on it's purported examples and many don't come close to make Trump out as a racist or white supremacist. But it fits the narrative well.  Anyone who hasn't uttered some kind of remark or made some kind of joke about race, gender, religion, etc. in their life must be truly an angle. Christ, there is no way in hell "All in the Family" or the "Jeffersons" would make it on television today.

16 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

What nonsense. De Niro obviously has not seen the awards presented to Donald Trump over the years by those like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Don King for supporting and helping the black community. I guess because Trump does not subscribe to leftist groupthink then you must start the name calling. 

don king he's robbed, stolen, killed color folk for power corruption, he's no shining light for color folk 1 thing u got right trump belong with king , j j wont labeled him that far south as king..

17 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

These awards mean nothing.  Lets face it,  they once gave the Nobel Peace Prize to Kissinger who is one of the greatest murderers in the history of mankind.

Archived