Alleged Chai Nat child rapist ‘cannot buy his way out’

snoop1130

Alleged Chai Nat child rapist ‘cannot buy his way out’

By The Nation

222.jpeg

File photo

POLICE IN Chai Nat say it’s impossible for a teacher accused of raping a 12-year-old schoolgirl to buy his freedom with a cash payment to the parents because the offence is “non-compoundable”, meaning it cannot be settled other than through a criminal process.

The parents of the Mathayom 1 student in Wat Sing district filed a complaint on January 3 against the 40-year-old physical education teacher, whose name has not been released, with the Chai Nat Damrongtham Centre set up to receive citizens’ complaints.

They allege that the teacher twice molested and raped their daughter. She did not tell them about the original alleged incident on September 26 but reported the second to another teacher, who contacted the parents. 

Learning that the teacher had simply been transferred to Wat Sing municipality office’s education division pending a disciplinary probe, the parents asked the centre to help ensure he was prosecuted. 

The girl’s mother told reporters the teacher had offered the family Bt200,000 if they withdrew the complaint, but the money was refused. 

“The assault has scarred my daughter for life,” she said. “Our family is poor, but money can’t buy our dignity and, more importantly, the teacher doesn’t seem remorseful at all, so the family will press on with the charges.”

Wat Sing precinct superintendent Pol Colonel Chatethachai Chatesiri said yesterday that the teacher’s alleged claim that he could clear the offences with police and prosecutors if the family accepted the money was groundless. 

“The attempt to settle the case would be fruitless because this involves a non-compoundable criminal offence and police investigators will investigate in a straight forward manner, guided by the evidence and without helping anyone get away with a crime,” he said. 

Chatethachai said the family could accept or refuse the Bt200,000 as compensation, but it wouldn’t affect the investigation or prosecution. 

He added that any attempt to bribe investigators would be seen as a further criminal offence.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361761

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-1-7

7 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

the offence is “non-compoundable”, meaning it cannot be settled other than through a criminal process.

Meaning it can't be settled by paying off the RTP. That must be a big disappointment for the RTP. Presumably the price now goes up to satisfy the next level of authority being the judiciary. In Thailand anyone can be bought off if the price is right. 

45 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“The attempt to settle the case would be fruitless because this involves a |non-compoundable criminal offence and police investigators will investigate in a straight forward manner, guided by the evidence and without helping anyone |get away with a crime,” he said. 

Excellent, this must be something new!

56 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“The assault has scarred my daughter for life,” she said. Our family is poor, but money can’t buy our dignity and, more importantly, the teacher doesn’t seem remorseful at all, so the family will press on with the charges.”

execute this POS.

Next case.

38 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Transferred , this lowlife should be turned loose into the community with his evil doings tattooed onto his forehead - let the locals sort the bar steward out.   

Who transferred him should be as guilty as charged! 

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Husband of Mrs best freind was teacher in Issan. He was convicted of raping 2 girls and got 20 years, 2 years back. They do get what they deserve, sometimes .

GOOD         unless the RTP are negotiating ? 

I expect the alleged rapist will now do a runner,as the money angle

did not work, if only more did not accept the blood money,and instead

try to get justice,not easy here i know,but there has to be a change.

regards worgeordie

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

POLICE IN Chai Nat say it’s impossible for a teacher accused of raping a 12-year-old schoolgirl to buy his freedom with a cash payment to the parents because the offence is “non-compoundable”, meaning it cannot be settled other than through a criminal process.

The fact that this even must be said and that Thais think he can buy his way out is all we need to know about the Thai "justice" system. Thais know what really goes on.

Disgusting

Didn't read all the posts, but geeeezzz... so the courts are saying that in some cases a person can buy his or her way out?

I'm not surprised, but this is the first time that I read/hear this being openly stated for everyone to know.

So, I guess this does away with the concept of "the brown envelope" seeing how it is acceptable to give a cashier check, if it is for the right amount.

11 hours ago, dcnx said:

I’m happy the family refused the amount, but all this really means is enough money wasn’t offered. Hate to say it, but we all know this is the case.

I guess you didn't actually read what they said then “The assault has scarred my daughter for life,” she said. “Our family is poor, but money can’t buy our dignity"

Or, just projecting that fact that you would take an offer? 

12 hours ago, MARK74 said:

Good on the family for refusing the money either way and also on the Pol Colonel if the stance he describes is taken, i just hope the courts punishment is fitting to the seriousness of the crime

NAH!  they will get the 200,000  instead of the parents. This is how law works in Thailand.  It should be called "The Koh Tao" law.

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

Didn't read all the posts, but geeeezzz... so the courts are saying that in some cases a person can buy his or her way out?

I'm not surprised, but this is the first time that I read/hear this being openly stated for everyone to know.

So, I guess this does away with the concept of "the brown envelope" seeing how it is acceptable to give a cashier check, if it is for the right amount.

The concept of a compoundable is codified in the Thai Criminal Code. This means that certain crimes can be negotiated and charges dropped for a cash payment. Even certain types of rape cases...

This may not be right, but it is part of the "justice" system here, and can be read openly in the Thai Criminal Code.

This is why you hear of so many cases being settled for money.

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/criminal-code-rape-sections-276-281/

Section 281. Compound Offense

The commission of offence according to the paragraph 1 of Section 276 and Section 278, if not to occur in the public, not to cause the grievous bodily harm or death to the victim, not commit against the person as specified in this Section, it shall be the compoundable offence.

Archived