Students at elite Bangkok school to ditch uniforms - for now

snoop1130

Students at elite Bangkok school to ditch uniforms - for now

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

333.jpg

Soon a thing of the past? Bangkok Christian College students pose for a photo in their uniforms in 2014. Image: Fivemorningtalk / Facebook

BANGKOK — Starting Tuesday, students at an all-boys school in Bangkok will be able to leave their uniforms at home and come to class in the clothes they want.

Bangkok Christian College announced Monday that the new policy is part of an experiment to see whether dress codes – or the lack thereof – would affect students’ ability to study and socialize.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/01/07/students-at-elite-bangkok-school-to-ditch-uniforms-for-now/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-1-7

24 minutes ago, seahorse said:

Why don't they just pay attention to studies already done which show that wearing school uniform "promotes commonality among pupils, improves concentration and fosters a sense of pride?" 

Impact of school uniforms

yes, but then they should improve a bit on the uniforms, those shown in the OP don't really look like they should "foster a sense of pride"

7 hours ago, seahorse said:

Why don't they just pay attention to studies already done which show that wearing school uniform "promotes commonality among pupils, improves concentration and fosters a sense of pride?" 

Impact of school uniforms

Yes, the uniforms are why Thailand is an intellectual leader among countries and why students always pass each course and move to next grade; they have the commonality of cheating, laziness, lack of intellectual interest in anything apart from cell phone games and line.

9 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I think the uniform is a great thing, not having the problem of what to wear everyday. And the there's no competition among the kids who's wearing the fanciest clothes. And, its cheap!

Personally I always hated wearing a "uniform" when I was forced to, lacks freedom of expression as far as I was concerned - mind I was doing hard time in jail at the time! ????

21 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I think the uniform is a great thing, not having the problem of what to wear everyday. And the there's no competition among the kids who's wearing the fanciest clothes. And, its cheap!

Not cheap. Often different uniforms for different days, plus sports and scouts ones. All have to have name of school, pupil, class, course etc put on.

And the competition is on smart phones and designer pencil cases and who goes where on the holidays!

1 hour ago, toenail said:

Many private schools have a “free dress day” or “no uniform” day so students can wear what they want within guide lines - but many students still prefer wearing the uniform because it’s easier. 

My daughter's private school allows free dress day every Friday. The variances and styles are amazing, but don't see anyone choosing to wear uniforms.

50 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Not cheap. Often different uniforms for different days, plus sports and scouts ones. All have to have name of school, pupil, class, course etc put on.

And the competition is on smart phones and designer pencil cases and who goes where on the holidays!

My kids are still in early grades, not yet any demand for designer pencil cases, but now i know what to expect.????

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I grow up in a country not using uniforms in normal schools – a few private bording schools however used uniform, and there's still one left still doing it – so I now from experience the feeling as a pupil or student. At that time I thought school uniforms were silly, and I was happy that I did not have to use one.

However, I could, and still can, see the benefits of non-competing uniform dress. The world also seem to has changed from when I was a kind and teen, till today, in a way of more making face with for example brand name clothes, and other branded stuff – I can see how those that were kind a little less than generation after me, and later, are much more into brands, both as children and teens, and continuing it as adults – there are enough other items available, mainly things like smart phones, or even sneakers, to make face with.

My only child is half Thai, and we are living in Thailand. Today, as a parent, I think school uniforms is are fine, and my daughter, now early teen, has no obligations against using uniform; she think my home country is little weird, when I tell her that school kids wear their own clothes, but she might need to adjust to that view at a later day, is she wish to continue in a high-school there...????

By the way, I was school child in the second half of the 1950'ies, and teen during most of the rocking 60'ies...:whistling:

Thais can't think for themselves so they always copy each other.

School uniforms are perfect for the young aspiring generation who will look at each other while they pick their noses. 

Bangkok Christian College allows casual dress on Tuesdays to promote creativity

By Anant Chantarasoot 
The Nation

19913c386d7be5106ec36c2153492a14.jpeg

Secondary students at the prestigious Bangkok Christian College left their uniforms at home and donned casual duds for school for the first time on Tuesday.

The down-dressing kicked off the school’s pilot project allowing students to wear casual clothes to express their individuality and creativity every Tuesday throughout this semester.

Head teacher Suphakit Jitklongsub said the pilot project allows students the option of expressing themselves through wearing appropriate casual dress in an effort to make the school a happy place. It reflects a belief that people with differences can live together, Suphakit said.

If the scheme is proven to negatively affect academic performance, it would be scrapped, he added.

Bangkok Christian College, the first private boys’ school in Thailand, was founded on September 30, 1852 by US Presbyterian missionaries with permission from His Majesty King Rama IV.

Originally in Thonburi, the school moved to its present site in Bang Rak district in 1902. The school now has about 5,000 students in 12 levels, and is popular among children of all faiths due to its strong academic reputation.

It was the country’s first school to introduce contemporary approaches to English language education, with both native English speakers and Thai teachers using English as the medium of instruction.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361834

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-08

Casual clothes allowed at prestigious school

By THE NATION

2bb881d304fcda00fa439cb5f49dc1fa.jpeg

SECONDARY students at the prestigious Bangkok Christian College left their uniforms at home and dressed casually for the first time yesterday.

61f112908b5277381793de936aa916c8.jpeg

The dressing-down kicked off a pilot project in which children are being allowed to wear casual clothes to express their individuality and creativity every Tuesday throughout this semester.

Head teacher Suphakit Jitklongsub said the project gave students the option to express themselves by wearing appropriate casual dress in an effort to make the school a happier place. 

It reflects a belief that people with differences can live in harmony together, he said.

If the scheme is shown to negatively affect students’ academic performance, it will be scrapped, he added.

Education Minister Teerakiat Jareonsettasin, meanwhile, said he had been told the school’s move was part of research into student uniform. 

He viewed that the private school was entirely within its rights to implement such a scheme, which could also be cancelled if it produced a negative impact, as the school itself had agreed. 

9214211d4e2f33f00fbc3d971445ef93.jpeg

Teerakiat said he also believed the move was only introduced after being discussed thoroughly with school administrators and parents, so he had no authority to judge its merits. 

Office of the Private Education Commission (Opec) secretary-general Chalam Attham said the school had reported it as being an experiment for research on student uniforms and had obtained approval for it from the school board and the parents. 

He said private schools had certain freedom to organise activities or implement changes as appropriate and this move was so far not seen as being in violation of any regulations. He also said student uniforms would remain on the Opec list of provided items for 15-year free education.

A Dek-D.com columnist going by the name of “Pi Latte”, meanwhile, noted that people had different opinions about allowing students to dress casually.

Supporters of the new freedom called it a human right for students to choose what they wanted to wear and claimed such casual attire wouldn’t negatively affect their academic performances; opponents, however, thought it could lead to friction between those coming from different financial backgrounds.

There were also many undecided about it, who said they didn’t object to allowing some leeway in what students wore but still preferred uniform as it was more convenient and didn’t require students or parents to have to think of what to wear to school.

The columnist said many schools had previously conducted similar pilot projects, such as one at Thammasart University’s demonstration school, which had received positive feedback. 

This begs the question, the columnist added: if the next restriction to be lifted is the decades-old student hairstyles – bob cuts for girls and short-back-and sides for boys – and this also is shown to have no impact on academic performance, it could lead to the lifting of other barriers, even including the removal of students from classrooms entirely. 

Bangkok Christian College, the first private boys’ school in Thailand, was founded in 1852 by US Presbyterian missionaries with permission from His Majesty King Rama IV. 

5316fde0305744c97d99b30dbe3fffbd.jpeg

The school now has about 5,000 students across 12 levels, and is popular among children of all faiths due to its strong academic reputation.

It was the country’s first school to introduce contemporary approaches to English language education, with both native English speakers and Thai teachers using English as the medium of instruction.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361879

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-09

What ?

A retrograde move if ever I’ve heard one. The ditching of uniforms would be a giant leap towards the “Rabble Rules” that pervade the American a School System.

Our kids are way above the Drug Pushing, Gun Slinging Morons that are being turned out by the Loony Left in places like “ La, La Land USA.”

On 1/9/2019 at 4:21 AM, webfact said:

There were also many undecided about it, who said they didn’t object to allowing some leeway in what students wore but still preferred uniform as it was more convenient and didn’t require students or parents to have to think of what to wear to school.

Yes thinking is way out of line, we can't have that in a school. Better stick with the uniform so their brain cells are not overloaded. 

Now watch the competition over who's wearing the most expensive designer t-shirts, hoodies, jeans & trainers, whilst the poorer kids suffer ridicule and bullying.

Lets's see how well prepared they are for lessons, when worried what they choose to wear will be accepted by others.

Let's see how teachers can identify which kids actually attend the school, whilst within the school & also on school trips.

Schools are there to prepare kids for a formal work culture!

Archived