Moving to Thailand - February 2019

5 hours ago, George36 said:

Question please.  What return flight date should I use while not knowing what visa I will enter the country with?  Tourist visa - 30 or 60 day return flight?  90 “O” visa?   One year OA visa?  Looks like I have to have flight out of the country.

Tourist visas are 60 days but a flight 90 days on from entry is usually OK as they expect you will apply for an extension. The Non-Imm (certainly the OA) does not require an onward flight. Keep in mind it is rare that Immigration officials look for your onward flight at the main airport. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Tourist visas are 60 days but a flight 90 days on from entry is usually OK as they expect you will apply for an extension. The Non-Imm (certainly the OA) does not require an onward flight. Keep in mind it is rare that Immigration officials look for your onward flight at the main airport. 

Thanks.  I am going to make the flight reservation tonight for 60 days so I can provide a copy for the visa.  However, I have 24 hours to cancel so I will reserve tonight, go to Thai Embassy tomorrow morning and, then, change my flights as necessary.   Appreciated your thoughts.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

How do you collect US income/pension? How do you move money to Thailand?

Better to have plan B: consider brokerage accounts such as Fidelity, Vanguard, Charles Schwab, Interactive Brokers, TD Ameritrade. Do some research see which one suits you best, and which ones  let you use Thai address and phone numbers.

Not sure about how to transfer money yet.  At present, I have my military retirement and social security payments go into NFCU, a credit union.  I have a Chase account that allows six debits a month for free.  Gonna definitely look at Charles Schwarbs account as I have heard of that in the past.  Thanks for raising the issues.

Btw, flight book and I will arrive on the evening of February 13th for this adventure.  Will be heading up to Thai Embassy early in the morning.  Have paperwork to support three different visas:  “Oa” Long Stay retirement, 90 immigrate “O” and 60 day tourist visa.  

Will be interesting to see what differences between what is on the website and up-to-date experience might be.  Wish me luck!  Lol.

First trip to Thai Embassy went really good.  They looked over my documents and indicated that I needed two items.  Both were anticipated as the Life Scan report takes a few days and the medical certificate needed Doctor’s signature.  I got the Doctor’s signature this morning and the Life Scan should be in by Monday.

The visa gentleman advised me that I can drop off the documents one day and pick up the Oa retirement visa the next day.  Wife and I will just stay in Los Angeles overnight to do away with an extra five hour round trip drive.

Interesting thing.  I have heard that Jomtien office has one.  On a table opposite the counters is a tip jar that had about $100 in ones, fives and tens.  Will make sure that I contribute.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  Lol.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, George36 said:

First trip to Thai Embassy went really good.  They looked over my documents and indicated that I needed two items.  Both were anticipated as the Life Scan report takes a few days and the medical certificate needed Doctor’s signature.  I got the Doctor’s signature this morning and the Life Scan should be in by Monday.

The visa gentleman advised me that I can drop off the documents one day and pick up the Oa retirement visa the next day.  Wife and I will just stay in Los Angeles overnight to do away with an extra five hour round trip drive.

Interesting thing.  I have heard that Jomtien office has one.  On a table opposite the counters is a tip jar that had about $100 in ones, fives and tens.  Will make sure that I contribute.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  Lol.

If you are in LA, you went to the Consulate.  Embassies are always in the nation's capital.  The embassies have consular offices in or near the embassy.  Embassies are responsible for diplomatic things while consulates are responsibly for visas and support for nationals of their own country.  Thailand has both consulates and honorary consulates in the US.  Honorary consulates handle only minor items and short term visas (not O-A) and in some cases staffed only by Americans. 

In Thailand the US Embassy with consular services is in Bangkok while the US Consulate is in Chiang Mai.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, George36 said:

tips.jpeg

• Like 2

I made the move in February of 2017 but live in rural Thailand (Buriram). We brought memorabilia, pictures, bedding, tools, clothes, laptops, and fishing equipment. If I had to do the move again I would bring clothes, laptops, and the memorabilia/pictures in a couple of suitcases and pay the extra airline luggage costs. Everything else can be bought here with the savings from not having to ship all your stuff (I shipped from Hawaii). Thailand is no longer a third world country like it was twenty or thirty years ago, and in a large city such as Pattaya you can buy nearly anything you need and order online what you cannot buy locally. Good like on your move, I personally do not like Pattaya but everyone has his own preferences, I have not regretted a single day. Although I do occasionally miss fishing for blue marlin off Kona Hawaii.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:38 AM, ubonjoe said:

You certainly will not be able to get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement at the consulate in Los Angeles. The will issue OA long stay visa or a tourist visa that you would have to change to a non immigrant visa entry.

You best option may be getting the OA visa. It allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it is issued and you can get almost 2 years of total stay from it, Requirements are here. http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

I came to Thailand on a non immigrant O visa issued at the small honorary consulate on Oahu (shares office space with Merry Maids), but my wife is from Thailand. I am sure it is possible to be issued a non immigrant O visa from the Los Angeles consulate, if you meet the requirements for that type of visa.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, George36 said:

Not sure about how to transfer money yet.  At present, I have my military retirement and social security payments go into NFCU, a credit union.  I have a Chase account that allows six debits a month for free.  Gonna definitely look at Charles Schwarbs account as I have heard of that in the past.  Thanks for raising the issues.

Btw, flight book and I will arrive on the evening of February 13th for this adventure.  Will be heading up to Thai Embassy early in the morning.  Have paperwork to support three different visas:  “Oa” Long Stay retirement, 90 immigrate “O” and 60 day tourist visa.  

Will be interesting to see what differences between what is on the website and up-to-date experience might be.  Wish me luck!  Lol.

I use NFCU also. I have a Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand. Currently I use ACH transfers from NFCU to my Bangkok Bank account (I established the Thai bank account some time ago), but this method of transferring money works well but is going away in April of this year. Bangkok bank is switching to a different format of ACH transfer (international ACH) which will not be supported by NFCU (I checked). There is a web company named Transfer Wise that charges a fee per transfer (about $20 USD to send $2000 USD), but it is efficient, the exchange rate is really good, it is really easy to set up an account, and once the money is in you Thai account you can use local ATM's with no fee. Also the transfer shows up as a foreign transfer (Bangkok Bank), which is important if you are on a retirement/marriage extension. I am not old enough for social security yet, but your SS pay can be transferred directly into your bank account here in Thailand.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I came to Thailand on a non immigrant O visa issued at the small honorary consulate on Oahu (shares office space with Merry Maids), but my wife is from Thailand. I am sure it is possible to be issued a non immigrant O visa from the Los Angeles consulate, if you meet the requirements for that type of visa.

You got the non-o visa based upon being married to a Thai not for being 50 or over for retirement. Those can be obtained at the embassy, the 3 official consulates and the honorary consulates.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:51 PM, George36 said:

Thanks all for the replies.  I will be going through them meticulously today and take notes.  A lot of great information.  Thanks again.

I have 18 Thai Embassy workdays to get what I can from the Thai Embassy in LA.  We leave for Spain from 1/31 to 2/7 and, then, my flight to Thailand will be on 2/12.  Will be booking tonight.  We will be heading up to the embassy, 2 1/2 hour drive, Thursday and we are planning on two more visits.  First visit for information and see if we luckily have all the paperwork.  Second for dropping off completed application. Third for pickup.  Fingers crossed.

Question please.  What return flight date should I use while not knowing what visa I will enter the country with?  Tourist visa - 30 or 60 day return flight?  90 “O” visa?   One year OA visa?  Looks like I have to have flight out of the country.  

Thanks.

Just book a cheap flight from Thailand to a neighboring country. You can throw that away or go on a vacation. If you have an OA visa I don't think you need a flight out (but I am not sure), I came in on a non-immigrant O visa (multiple entry good for a year), and we flew in on a one way ticket from Hawaii with no issues. Tourist visa you definitely need a flight out, not sure about 90 day O visa.

• Like 2

As others have said get an international drivers license from AAA, it streamlines the process of getting a Thai driver's license (they did not even want to look at my Hawaii license). I also set up a mail forwarding account that was very valuable especially the first year. I would also highly recommend keeping a US mailing address if you can (I use my sisters address) it is required if you trade stocks or have a stock trading account (i.e. Ameritrade). Once again, good luck.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Tourist visa you definitely need a flight out, not sure about 90 day O visa.

If you have any valid visa a return or onward flight is not required for entry. Only a visa exempt entry requires a ticket out within 30 days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have any valid visa a return or onward flight is not required for entry. Only a visa exempt entry requires a ticket out within 30 days.

I will defer to your knowledge on all topics visa related.

• Like 1

Bummer.  Government shutdown has resulted in the DOJ scan for criminal review being delayed indefinitely.  I received a letter from DOJ concerning the delay.

My next option is to request a city background review.  It will be ready next Tuesday for pickup.  

Then, I will go back up to the Thai Consulate on Wednesday.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the city review will be sufficient?  Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, George36 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the city review will be sufficient?

That can depend upon where you are applying for the visa and of what the city accesses to do it. If it references the check was done at the state level it would be accepted.

Most locations now want it done at the state level or by the FBI.

• Thanks 1

So, I have all my documents that the Thai Consulate requires for the OA but have decided not to move forward at this time.  My travel to Thailand, this trip, will be from 15th of February for either 30 or 55 days. 

Why?  I would be crazy to move to Thailand, at this time, after reading extensively on this site.  I read about all types of hassles at almost all levels when it comes to visas, extensions, denials at airports, never knowing for sure about them and just continuing confusion and angst about almost everything having to do with foreigners.

Plus all my trips have been during low season as I do not like crowds and the higher prices associated with high season.  I am, somewhat of a home body, but I like going to New York Dinner, clubs and Walking Street to people watch and listen to rock music.

i was surprised to learn of the air quality during high season or around this time.  I was not aware of the extent of the problem.  Since I will be in Pattaya in 22 days, I will be able to see more readily the situation and how it affects me physically.  At 65, only experiencing it will tell.

My wife and I off are to Spain for seven days at the end of the month and, maybe, that will be an option for retirement.  She was with me in Thailand for three weeks last April-May.  

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their replies and I gained a lot of knowledge that I would not have had otherwise.

If any of you, in Pattaya, would like to meet during my stay, please send me a PM.  I would love to pick your brain.  I will be staying at Flipper Lodge Hotel and we can meet for breakfast one day.

Thanks again and Have a Great Day or Night

• Like 1