UK and European officials discussing delay to Brexit: Telegraph

webfact

UK and European officials discussing delay to Brexit: Telegraph

By Guy Faulconbridge

2019-01-07T230539Z_1_LYNXNPEF061LU_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

FILE PHOTO - A European Union flag is seen behind a British Union Jack during an anti-brexit protest in London, Britain, January 7, 2019. REUTERS/ Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - British and European officials are discussing the possibility of extending Article 50 amid fears a Brexit deal will not be approved by March 29, The Daily Telegraph reported, citing unidentified sources.

The Telegraph cited three unidentified EU sources as saying British officials had been "putting out feelers" and "testing the waters" on an extension of Article 50, Britain's formal notice to withdraw from the European Union.

A spokeswoman for Downing Street declined immediate comment on the report, as did a spokesman at the British ministry responsible for exiting the European Union.

The future of Brexit remains deeply uncertain as British lawmakers are currently expected to next week vote down the divorce deal that Prime Minister Theresa May struck in November with the European Union.

Without an approved deal, the world's fifth-largest economy is on course to leave the EU on March 29, a step business chiefs and investors fear would silt up the arteries of trade, spook financial markets and dislocate supply chains.

The ultimate Brexit outcome will shape Britain's $2.8 trillion economy, have far reaching consequences for the unity of the United Kingdom and determine whether London can keep its place as one of the top two global financial centres.

In the June 23, 2016 referendum, 17.4 million voters, or 52 percent, backed Brexit while 16.1 million, or 48 percent, backed staying in the bloc.

May formally began Britain’s divorce from the European Union on March 29, 2017, by triggering Article 50 of the EU’s Lisbon Treaty. That ushered a two-year period of negotiation on the divorce terms.

The European Union's top court, the Court of Justice, ruled last month that the United Kingdom can unilaterally revoke its Article 50 divorce notice, raising the hopes of pro-Europeans who hope to stop Brexit with another referendum.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge in London and Rama Venkat in Bengaluru; Editing by Tom Brown and Diane Craft)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-08

A no deal Brexit should've been the default all along. immediately preparing and gearing up for such a scenario would've put the boot on the other foot, and the EU squealing for for mercy instead of flexing their muscle, seeking revenge, and trying to force the UK into a corner. 

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

A no deal Brexit should've been the default all along. immediately preparing and gearing up for such a scenario would've put the boot on the other foot, and the EU squealing for for mercy instead of flexing their muscle, seeking revenge, and trying to force the UK into a corner. 

Yes, but that would have required a government prepared to enact the decision of the electorate ( expressed in the referendum and subsequently confirmed in a general election) rather than one which said one thing - "Brexit means Brexit" and then spending all it's energies in producing a deal under which the UK effectively remains in the UK, although losing any powers to influence the policies it is required to follow, and pays a lot of money for the priveledge. It's been called a "vassal state", and that is absolutely what their deal will result in.

They say that any alternative is "uncharted", that is because they refuse to even look at any charts!

2 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Is this in the alternate universe where there are 500 mil. Brits and 60 mil. EU citizens instead of the other way around?

I'm not sure why EU would agree to extend the time. This has taken a long time and there has not been progress on British side since the deal was created. 

I believe EU said earlier that possible extension can be considered if Britain shows real effort to solve it's internal issues and disagreements.

This was said yesterday once again.

Just call it a proud brexit and get on with it. 

3 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

And there we have the view from the non reality universe.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

I'm not sure why EU would agree to extend the time. This has taken a long time and there has not been progress on British side since the deal was created. 

I believe EU said earlier that possible extension can be considered if Britain shows real effort to solve it's internal issues and disagreements.

This was said yesterday once again.

Just call it a proud brexit and get on with it. 

EU diplomatically avoiding to add:

"Of course remaining requires no deal, negotiation or discussion.......we can all just carry on as normal"

"As any fule kno":

image.png.0cd8464d986351b0a68d715b7a892b8a.png

13 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Every country that trades with the EU is subject to EU regulations and has no say in those regulations. Why should a UK outside of the EU be treated differently?

Of course the UK will not.

But to minds addled with ‘British Exceptionalism’ the UK is doing the EU a favour.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

That second vote coming soon? Democracy be damned it's business!

If the first vote was democratic i.e. the 1975 referendum and the second vote the 2016 referendum was democratic then any subsequent legally enacted referendums will be democratic.

Or you can pretend that the second referendum was a "once in a lifetime, never to be challenged, never to be reversed' decision like the Breiters like to do.

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Every country that trades with the EU is subject to EU regulations and has no say in those regulations. Why should a UK outside of the EU be treated differently?

Because Britain has never lost a war...

3 hours ago, wombat said:

Another useless MEP looking for a new gravy train! A turkey who voted for Christmas hoping to be an Easter Bunny in time for the next general election.

Clueless Dodgy Dave and Corbyn, the man who now says we voted to leave the single market but vote for him and he'll magically negotiate a fantastic deal to keep us in it!

Liars, liars, pants on fires!

The UK government need to grow some! Putting out 'feelers" to see if we can persuade them to let us extend! Cobblers!

Either accept Brexit means leaving with no pathetic deal and managing all the risk and uncertainty, which this government have shown they are woefully capable to do and inept or withdraw Article 50 and remain a full member as was.

Stop playing politics pursuing own agendas and serve the people for once. Inept bunch of hypercritical self interested lying cheating clowns.

5 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

The UK voted itself into this mess. I feel sorry for the Euro countries having to put up with all the Brits squabling amongst themselves, changing their minds every five minutes. Where is Nigel? He started all this.

Do you want it or not? Brits dont know whether they are coming or going.

Anyway, I am hoping for a hard, hard Brexit. Once the pound reaches parity with the baht, i will probably go over there for a quick holiday. I wouldnt waste good money going there, but if it is cheap, why not?

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Yes, but that would have required a government prepared to enact the decision of the electorate ( expressed in the referendum and subsequently confirmed in a general election) rather than one which said one thing - "Brexit means Brexit" and then spending all it's energies in producing a deal under which the UK effectively remains in the UK, although losing any powers to influence the policies it is required to follow, and pays a lot of money for the priveledge. It's been called a "vassal state", and that is absolutely what their deal will result in.

They say that any alternative is "uncharted", that is because they refuse to even look at any charts!

Any other chart is called Abyss 

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Of course the UK will not.

But to minds addled with ‘British Exceptionalism’ the UK is doing the EU a favour.

I think the issue is that as a result of the " best deal achievable" by this pathetic excuse for a government, many /most/all of those regulations will remain in force for activities which do not involve trading with the EU, and will be enforced and modified ( perhaps extended) by bodies and agencies in which we are not represented.

Of course, if disagreeing with that is "displaying a mind addled with British Exceptional ism" then I am guilty as charged. Somehow I don't think it is...

5 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

A very astute understanding of the EU -UK relationship.

No deal was what we voted for as per the Governments nice shiny brochure not years tied to an unaudited unelected debt laden ponsi scheme.

Unfortunatly, the political class never intended us to leave. Proved with Nick Cleg the arch remainer who is now making his salary helping Facebook deal with the EU, based on his EU chums. They don’t want us to stay but do want our money like some big piggy bank!

Call me cynical?

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

I think the issue is that as a result of the " best deal achievable" by this pathetic excuse for a government, many /most/all of those regulations will remain in force for activities which do not involve trading with the EU, and will be enforced and modified ( perhaps extended) by bodies and agencies in which we are not represented.

Of course, if disagreeing with that is "displaying a mind addled with British Exceptional ism" then I am guilty as charged. Somehow I don't think it is...

So am I guilty as charged!

49 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Didn't do so well in Afghanistan old chap when playing the Great Game with the Russkies!

And the Boers did rather well, especially in the 1st Boer war.

didn't do too well with Iceland and the cod war either

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

If the first vote was democratic i.e. the 1975 referendum and the second vote the 2016 referendum was democratic then any subsequent legally enacted referendums will be democratic.

Or you can pretend that the second referendum was a "once in a lifetime, never to be challenged, never to be reversed' decision like the Breiters like to do.

Like the Koran!

I think some of you EU luvvies should check the news on what’s actually going on in Europe .  Not a pretty sight . Mainstream media only just recently started covering the French problems properly . It’s very easy to sit over in Thailand or wherever as an ex pat and mock the UK and like the mainstream media inc the British MSM and put Britain down as some basket case.   I’m sure it’s not so one sided as you w like to think . 

Archived