UK and European officials discussing delay to Brexit: Telegraph

webfact

1 minute ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I think some of you EU luvvies should check the news on what’s actually going on in Europe .  Not a pretty sight . Mainstream media only just recently started covering the French problems properly . It’s very easy to sit over in Thailand or wherever as an ex pat and mock the UK and like the mainstream media inc the British MSM and put Britain down as some basket case.   I’m sure it’s not so one sided as you w like to think . 

The French problem very much mirrors the problems in the UK that caused Brexit.

But in both cases it's the countries own governments that have caused those problems, not EU membership.

Leaving the EU will only make the initial problems worse.

And in another unsettling parallel,  both causes are being used by both the far right and far left to promote their own agendas.

4 hours ago, Becker said:

Is this in the alternate universe where there are 500 mil. Brits and 60 mil. EU citizens instead of the other way around?

What a ridiculous comment! "Alternative universe" indeed! There's no such thing as an alternative universe. Actually it's the bizarro universe where the the UK has a GDP of about 15.3 trillion US dollars and the rest of the EU has a GDP of about 2.6 trillion dollars.

5 hours ago, terryw said:

The behaviour outside Parliament yesterday is a sign of what will happen on a much larger scale if the Government or MP's try to delay Brexit.

Yes all the right wing thugs were out threatening the MPs and the media and anyone else in the area.  There are calls for the police to intervene as this isn't people using their democratic right to demonstrate.

Brexit should not be delayed because that just kicks the can further down the road and the uncertainty continues.  Surely it is time to face up to the reality.  Half of the country is going to be angry whichever way we end up.  There is no way around that.    

8 hours ago, terryw said:

The behaviour outside Parliament yesterday is a sign of what will happen on a much larger scale if the Government or MP's try to delay Brexit.

Then many will be sent to prison in short order or worse if the army needs to be brought in

6 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I think some of you EU luvvies should check the news on what’s actually going on in Europe .  Not a pretty sight . Mainstream media only just recently started covering the French problems properly . It’s very easy to sit over in Thailand or wherever as an ex pat and mock the UK and like the mainstream media inc the British MSM and put Britain down as some basket case.   I’m sure it’s not so one sided as you w like to think . 

And as we near the finishing line, spare a thought for the Republic of Ireland in the event of a 'No Deal' Brexit. Forced to undergo border checks in the north and effectively isolated from the rest of it's EU partners by a land mass called Great Britain. If I was Leo Varadkar, I would sweating blood to get this 'backstop' issue sorted to the satisfaction of the UK parliament

18 minutes ago, oldgit said:

And as we near the finishing line, spare a thought for the Republic of Ireland in the event of a 'No Deal' Brexit. Forced to undergo border checks in the north and effectively isolated from the rest of it's EU partners by a land mass called Great Britain. If I was Leo Varadkar, I would sweating blood to get this 'backstop' issue sorted to the satisfaction of the UK parliament

Ireland is not formally part of UK leaving EU.

If you are concerned about the land mass called Great Britain,

just cut your moorings and move the green island to just off the coast of France or Netherlands.

17 minutes ago, oldgit said:

Any reason why boats cannot cross directly between Ireland and France? Might be very much worth it to avoid the borders of Little England after Brexit.

14 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Any reason why boats cannot cross directly between Ireland and France? Might be very much worth it to avoid the borders of Little England after Brexit.

Because two thirds of the Republic of Ireland's exports pass through British ports. To redirect to French ports, especially with fresh, time sensitive food products, would take infinitely longer and would cause untold harm to the Irish economy. 

On 1/8/2019 at 8:58 AM, JAG said:

Yes, but that would have required a government prepared to enact the decision of the electorate ( expressed in the referendum and subsequently confirmed in a general election) rather than one which said one thing - "Brexit means Brexit" and then spending all it's energies in producing a deal under which the UK effectively remains in the UK, although losing any powers to influence the policies it is required to follow, and pays a lot of money for the priveledge. It's been called a "vassal state", and that is absolutely what their deal will result in.

They say that any alternative is "uncharted", that is because they refuse to even look at any charts!

100% correct. A remainer in charge who consistently looks in to the camera while telling full blown lies. Too many MP's wishing to assist with the betrayal of democracy and the EU meanwhile hoping it all goes to plan. More yet to come in the is sell out of Britain.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:25 AM, alanrchase said:

Every country that trades with the EU is subject to EU regulations and has no say in those regulations. Why should a UK outside of the EU be treated differently?

No they are not. Neither Canada or Japan who have both very recently agreed to trade partnerships agreed to live with a fraction of the regulations under which member states must operate to be a part of the greatest anti democratic organisation on the planet.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:40 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Of course the UK will not.

But to minds addled with ‘British Exceptionalism’ the UK is doing the EU a favour.

But to minds addled with ‘British Exceptionalism’ <deleted> is that supposed to mean? So when the majority of Brits voted to regain control of our laws, borders, trading partners and stop paying fantastically high levels of money to a corrupt undemocratic group of unelected bureaucrats, that was due to our being blinded by "minds addled with ‘British Exceptionalism’"?

Where do you get off on this? That is such a cock comment.

I never said they are subject to every regulation. All the goods they export to the EU must meet or surpass EU regulations.

No they are not. Neither Canada or Japan who have both very recently agreed to trade partnerships agreed to live with a fraction of the regulations under which member states must operate to be a part of the greatest anti democratic organisation on the planet.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived