"Sorry - we didn't use our brains" - Seafood restaurant staff in "Crotch Drama" apologize

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And the parents did nothing.... 

Lets face it, whenever something silly which can be attributed to 'high spirits' and not uncommonly a significant amount of clumsy ignorance the situation is fairly easy to stop with a simple... Hand up and "No!"... especially when kids are involved... 

Agreed, this shouldn't have happened and the whole idea was stupid, but doesn't this sum up much of what happens here?... the description of the event makes it seem a whole lot worse.... 

The child could easily have been picked up and taken off by a parent to just stands there and videos instead.... so clearly the parents didn't think it was an issue... 

The child could easily have been picked up and taken off by a parent to just stands there and videos instead.... so clearly the parents didn't think it was an issue... 

And so the victim is to blame for this stupidity?

This is the mentality of the entire Thai nation it seems, and you sir have joined in on the stupidity.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

On many occasions I would agree with your comment, however after watching the clip there is no doubt in my mind and I am far from being a prude, that his explicit actions to a young child were inappropriate.

I have a young daughter under three years and would not have tolerated him doing it to her, however I would not have taken her to such an event in the first place,

Two past incidents stick in my mind, reading this.

#1. When my(farang) wife and I first came her permanently, their was a small bar nearby, "owned" by a farang and his Thai "wife". They had a 3-year old girl. 

As happens, they put on a free bbq meal on a Friday night. Lots of locals attended, drink sales satisfactory, no problem so far.

At about 8.00 pm, the 3-year old and her 3-5year old friend are go-go dancing on the bar counter, and dressed appropriately for the act..... and the dance is at least as professional as any WS show. 

Is this appropriate?

#2. Not long after settling, we were befriended by a Thai lady, a teacher, but employed as School Secretary. (Thai owned private school, with Thai and very new English programme. Lots of Russian and Leuk Krung kids). We have no children, so no commercial interest there! She would invite us to various events, one of which was Sports Day. We were totally shocked to see very junior kids dressed in American style cheerleader costumes and performing well rehearsed sexy routines - again, mpre appropriate in Walking Street than a "respectable" or "reputable" private school.

I find it diffficult to reconcile a culture where even partial nudity is a no-no, and even the boys go into the pool fully covered, yet little kids can be thought "cute" performing overtly sexual "dances".

Two past incidents stick in my mind, reading this.
#1. When my(farang) wife and I first came her permanently, their was a small bar nearby, "owned" by a farang and his Thai "wife". They had a 3-year old girl. 
As happens, they put on a free bbq meal on a Friday night. Lots of locals attended, drink sales satisfactory, no problem so far.
At about 8.00 pm, the 3-year old and her 3-5year old friend are go-go dancing on the bar counter, and dressed appropriately for the act..... and the dance is at least as professional as any WS show. 
Is this appropriate?
#2. Not long after settling, we were befriended by a Thai lady, a teacher, but employed as School Secretary. (Thai owned private school, with Thai and very new English programme. Lots of Russian and Leuk Krung kids). We have no children, so no commercial interest there! She would invite us to various events, one of which was Sports Day. We were totally shocked to see very junior kids dressed in American style cheerleader costumes and performing well rehearsed sexy routines - again, mpre appropriate in Walking Street than a "respectable" or "reputable" private school.

I find it diffficult to reconcile a culture where even partial nudity is a no-no, and even the boys go into the pool fully covered, yet little kids can be thought "cute" performing overtly sexual "dances".
Then the dressing up of young girls and applying heavy make-up in the USA for the so called beauty pageants is ok? looks very weird.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, seajae said:

and have the police charged them for what they did, have they been let go by the restaurant for giving it a bad name, highly doubtful as they simply dont give a sh*t, exposing themselves doesnt rate here unless you are a farang, the one that did it should be locked up and the others reprimanded, its disgusting

It was all done in good fun.. a twerking crotch to a small kid is non event. To him it is non sexual in nature. As some poster said. If the kid’s parents relent to his exposure , then it must be a non event.  Let’s move on .. 

1 hour ago, assayer said:

This is the mentality of the entire Thai nation it seems, and you sir have joined in on the stupidity.

Let’s not impose our ‘puritanical ‘ values onto other cultures and judge them. This is their country and if their level of culture and traditions are graded as ‘stupid’ by your yardstick, so be it. You do not have to immerse in their culture if you are opposed to it. 

6 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

The crime here was that this is even considered "entertainment". A guy crabbing around on the floor whilst others stand in a group guffawing ! Much against my better judgement I have to say that awful karaoke with Thais droning along to some soap opera star song would at least have better comedy value. I shall definitely give this restaurant a miss.

Maybe the level of entertainment for the average Thai is similar to that offered? Maybe the restaurant is having more of the Thai patrons in mind when they have that gig set up. 

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Isn't it great that in Thailand a simple gesture with ones hands makes everything good that is wrong. 

Maybe their brains are actually in their finger tips and only start working once the fingers are placed together.

Sort of like the confessional ;)

12 hours ago, assayer said:

You pull victim blaming out of this???? IF it was my Child I would not have left them standing there, IF it was my Child I would asked the 'dumb tool' to stop....  I would blame myself for not doing so...  

While my Son and I were having breakfast I turned off the Thai news which showed a man stamping repeatedly on anothers head...  I didn't blame the TV station, but I would blame myself for allowing my son to continue to watch and blame myself for being silly enough to watch Thai news in the morning (which has no filter for violence at hours children may be watching)

There are too many liberal princesses on this forum (and in life) who jump on the 'Blaming the Victim' bandwagon in a flawed attempt to knee-cap a simple bit of common sense... In this case, simply remove the kid from the situation - issue resolved...

So yes, I blame the parents for not doing anything about this.

I blame all the other idiots for their over reaction - its just Thai's being idiots, and people can act the fool and stupidly everywhere - we can't stop everyone, but we can limit their impact on our Children by supervising them correctly.

Of course, the reaction of Social Media helps to limit these issues as an immature society develops and learns what is and isn't acceptable. 

But in the mean time...  if you think its ok to leave a child there and concentrate on those who perform the lewd and idiotic acts in front of the chid that's up to you... but I'd blame you when you cried victim instead of removing yourself and child from the situation. 

i mean no way i enter and eat at such a restaurateur with such zero sense of humor activities. with such shows. it is almost saying like 'Our food is bad so we compensate it with such nonsense shows to gather attention.'

not funny plus totally unappetizing!!!

This type of behavior is built into their culture, a case in point is the Songkran celebration today as it is, great fun but deep down if it matters one would see this behavior as common. So common if one opens their eye will see what their own government is trying to fix but don't know how?  Underage drinking, driving while drinking, underage sex it is all there and more so as they get older they can make babies but their brains haven't developed and the excuse is whenever are wrong is done which today with the Internet smart phones etc.. it can be recorded and put front and center.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived