Big Joke has spoken! No more tourist rip offs by tuk-tuk drivers in Chiang Mai

webfact

Big Joke has spoken! No more tourist rip offs by tuk-tuk drivers in Chiang Mai

9pm.jpg

Bangkok Biz News

Bangkok Biz News reported that chief of immigration Lt Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn had turned his attention to tuk-tuks ripping off tourists in Chiang Mai.

The Lt Gen - whose domain far exceeds matters of immigration - also ordered the tourist police in the northern Thai city to check on the registration of vehicles ferrying tourists to and from temples and tourist attractions. 

He had received reports of tuk-tuks from outside the city preying on tourists.

The cops in Chiang Mai heeded the call on Saturday by going to Wat Phra Singh where everything was found to be above board except for one driver who couldn't produce a registration certificate saying his tuk-tuk was rented. 

The Department of Land Transport are looking into that one. 

Source: Bangkok Biz News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-08

I like this Guy; he does at least try to get things done unlike those before him who were just brown envelope collectors who sat on their butt's all day.   However; i do wonder how long it will be before he is either reigned in or they find his bullet riddled Truck down some side soi ?

23 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I like this Guy; he does at least try to get things done unlike those before him who were just brown envelope collectors who sat on their butt's all day.   However; i do wonder how long it will be before he is either reigned in or they find his bullet riddled Truck down some side soi ?

Don't worry about him he is on the winning team, no harm will come to him.

I think this guy is just talk with very little action.  He has his subordinates, which seems to be everyone in government, arrest or detain a handful of people and then talks about it and then sternly warns evildoers he will catch them; just like the ones his underlings caught.  Kinda stupid

Once again, LEGALIZE GRAB!!! That will force these crooks to become more honest (not totally honest, but closer). Vietnam has the same issues, but at least with Grab you can get a ride and know what the fare will be before you accept it. I have found that hotels in Hanoi are offering car service at rates very similar to what I would get from Grab - about 50% less than what they used to charge.

49 minutes ago, phkauf said:

least with Grab you can get a ride and know what the fare will be before you accept it.

If I ride in tuk tuk here in Chiang Mai I always ask first how much. I have never been charged more than quoted even though quoted price is higher than Uber/Grab. Used Uber a lot but found Grab not very good finding my house so don't use them a lot.

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Don't be fooled. No doubt after a week everything goes back to normal, like always. So he's safe, because everyone knows that and so does he. He just moves on to the next photo op and another one-week fix.

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

What's with the wall behind him,looks like dented metal,dented from the other side,were a bunch of irate Tuk tuk drivers banging on it trying to interupt his press conference.

No no no. It is tuk tuk drivers trying different physical ways of extracting extra from tourists! ????

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Hopefully he will come and do some talking in Pattaya, where there is plenty of scope for stopping rip-offs perpetrated by public transport drivers. Though at least we dont have any tuk-tuks here, thank God.

And please come to Samui.

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

In BKK they had loads of crackdowns on taxi's, it's still same same though....

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

While he is on scams in CM he might look into 1,000 baht for a residence letter(which takes about 3 mins to do).Years ago it was free then 500 baht ,now 1000 baht,  inflation or some other reason ?

Is it 1000? A year ago i paid 500. You can have it free also now but it takes 2-3 weeks.

15 hours ago, Sparkles said:

While he is on scams in CM he might look into 1,000 baht for a residence letter(which takes about 3 mins to do).Years ago it was free then 500 baht ,now 1000 baht,  inflation or some other reason ?

There is no statutory charge for this letter.

Archived