Two Hungarians killed in Bangkok motorcycle-van crash

webfact

Two Hungarians killed in Bangkok motorcycle-van crash

By The Nation

7e9c7e7d8d3f92e34602473b31e17a9a-sld.jpe

Two Hungarian motorcyclists were killed when their big bike hit a van on a Bangkok road, and also severely injuring a Japanese man late on Monday night, police said.

The Lumpini police station was alerted at 10.30pm of the accident in front of Soi Mahad Lek Luang 2 off Ratchadamri Road in Lumpini district near the BTS Ratchadamri station.

Police said the BMW S1000XR motorcycle hit the left side of a Toyota van, causing it to flip onto its right side. The motorcycle pierced through the side into the passenger room of the van.

The body of motorcyclist Adam Balogh, 30, was found on top of two severely injured men inside the van. The two other men were identified as Krisztian Bodrogi, 35, and Tatsuro Takaoka, 36. The two injured were rushed to Chulalongkorn Hospital.

Police said Bodrogi died later at the hospital.

The van driver, Permsak Yainoi, 57, said he was driving the Japanese man back to his residence on the soi when the speeding bike with a driver and a pillion rider hit him.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361826

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-08

There is a U-turn point directly opposite Soi Mahad Lek Luang 2, so probably the motorcyclists were heading down towards Silom and the van cut across their side of the road to get into the soi directly opposite the u-turn point.   

Another report in Thai news says that the van wanted to do a right turn into the Soi.

Bike crashed into the left side.

So likely overlooked the motorbike.

10:30 PM and seemingly excessive speed of the big bike.

Rarely there is only one responsible in such accidents.

The report says that the Hungarians were working for Agoda in Thailand.

The scene in the van must have been quite gruesome.

One body torn apart.

It was a big bike , speed caused the accident, as we all know in Thailand you can not ride your bike fast, especially in the Bangkok traffic. 

Because some idiot will turn left or right and this happens. 

Drive slowly if you want to live. 

They hit the side of the van head on. The only way to do that on that stretch of the road is if the minivan cut across the bike. Either 1) the bike shot out of Soi Mahad Lek Luang 2 and hit the van as it was going down Rajadamri (exceedingly unlikely as the van was supposed to be heading to that same soi and the rider would have seen he was coming up to a junction and slowed down), 2) the bike shot out of the U-turn and hit the van as it was going down Rajadamri (the bike would unlikely have had the speed to cause that much damage in this scenario and the van would have been turning left into the soi at that point), OR 3) the van, heading in the direction of the Police Hospital, went into the u-turn and turned left towards the soi cutting directly in front of the speeding motorcycle which was heading towards the Silom-Rama IV junction. The damage on the van and the location of the van make this scenario the likeliest. Perhaps the van driver did not see the motorcycle heading towards him or misjudged the bike's speed and cut across the three inbound lanes to get into the soi cutting off the bike.  As far as the bikers are concerned it really doesn't matter anyway.  

Sad for everyone involved but as we all know, it is common here.   

15 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Are you insane 

Big bike high speed 

Easy to see who to blame 

You are one of the type of posters I always look down upon. Can not give an alternative opinion without also hurling insults. 

Read Garyp below who knows the area. I'm not asking that you agree with him at all, just saying that no-one here knows for sure., Including you. 

1 hour ago, Lemonltr said:

You are one of the type of posters I always look down upon. Can not give an alternative opinion without also hurling insults. 

Read Garyp below who knows the area. I'm not asking that you agree with him at all, just saying that no-one here knows for sure., Including you. 

If the speed limit is 50 and they had keep that limit the car would not had flipped over and no one would be killed 

u turn or not so again high speed kills just remember that if you are one of them there like driving like that 

P. S. Yes I agree we don't need have same opinion 

Some facts on this story are wrong and/or incomplete.  How do I know?  We live in a condo highrise, immediately facing the Royal BKK Sports Club and the Soi Mahadlekluang 2 intersection, could clearly see the scene from our balcony about 100 meters away.

First, the accident time was closer to 8:30 pm, not 10:30, although it did take a couple of hours to clear.  The impact was so loud it could be clearly heard in our condo (my wife heard it), some residents went down to rubberneck the grisly scene (we did not). Soi Mahad2 was blocked for a couple of hours and outgoing traffic routed through the St Regis immediately next to accident.

From our birdseye view vantagepoint, it was obvious the collision had to be at VERY high speed to cause the huge van cave-in and actually overturn the van.

The (big) farang moto driver that was thrown into the van was pulled out from rear and taken from the van last.  His body (covered on white sheet) was visible on the sidewalk for probably an hour. When moved, it was clear he had a broken neck among other severe injuries (according to my wife, I wasn't interested in watching this part).

Last thing to be done was crew washing the huge pools of blood from the sidewalk and street, which is nice since we walk and drive past there every day.

Most likely the van was doing a right turn on to Soi Mahadlekluang 2, something I do every day. I am always extremely cautious doing this turn because visibility is very poor due to pillars for the BTS (the accident immediately next to Ratchadamri station entrance).

It is very difficult to see vehicles traveling Southbound towards Silom/RamaIV, so I generally nose out a little bit to be extra sure (getting the usual flash of light from idiots traveling at high speed).

Usually Ratchadamri southbound traffic is relatively slow, but on the occasion where traffic is lighter, it is not unusual to hear motorbikes absolutely drag racing on the street, or cars also way beyond the speed limit, this is why I am extra cautious making the turn.

Based on extensive experience with that intersection I would surmise that both were at fault. No doubt the motorcycle was traveling extremely fast (plenty of circumstantial evidence for that), and the van driver was not adequately cautious making the turn.  Especially in the rightmost lane, it is VERY difficult to see cars traveling southbound when turning right or U-turning, a bike would be much worse, especially at dusk/nighttime (many cases cars bikes also have no lights).

Also, this is the second fatal accident we have been witness to or seen shortly after the fact in the past several months. The previous one also involved a motorbike, but a smaller one, with bike and driver ending up completely underneath a taxi.  needless to say, I will be even more cautious going forward given that my trips usually involve transporting my wife and a 3-year old.

Due to congestion, I believe Bangkok is generally safer to drive in than most of Thailand, but any time cars can actually get up to speed, watch out...

Overall, a disturbing thing to witness right out our window.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:16 AM, taichiplanet said:

the bike must have been moving fast to do that to a van!

BMW S1000 XR is a sort of adventure sport version of the S1000 sports bike which is a bit of cruise missile of a bike at the best of times .. For sure they must've been giving it some to T-bone the van hard enough to put it on its side ..  

Archived