Volunteering

I have been browsing Laws, regulations and Police orders looking for the rules concerning doing volunteer work with no luck. I want to have something official in print to show the people that are pressuring me to volunteer without a work permit that it is definitely against immigration guidelines and I could face repercussions. I have lived and worked legally in Thailand for twenty years and want to keep it that way. The work they are asking me to volunteer for is teaching a class for a few days a month.

For example Thai immigration act section 37 / 1

They are "pressuring" you to work for free? Why would you even consider doing this under these circumstances?

Even if you show them the law they just don't care about you and don't want to spend any money on you

Afaik labour offices require a minimum amount of hours to issue a work permit (there is no official minimum, so it varies), so with "a few days a month" they would probably not issue you one anyway.

Some provincial Department of Employment offices are stating a work permit is not required under the new rules that came out in March of last year.

The was a big controversy because of that in Chiang Mai because immigration was insisting one was needed when people applied for an extension for working as a volunteer.

Best to ask the local DOE office to find out if you need a work permit.

Some provincial Department of Employment offices are stating a work permit is not required under the new rules that came out in March of last year.
The was a big controversy because of that in Chiang Mai because immigration was insisting one was needed when people applied for an extension for working as a volunteer.
Best to ask the local DOE office to find out if you need a work permit.

Thanks Joe!