Kasikorn Bank can't confirm UK pension comes from abroad?

16 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Which would explain the mountain of papers we hand them every year, //

Mountain? 5 sheets of paper for extension + 3 for re-entry...

16 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I am guessing Immigration Police aren't exactly aware that the world is more connected than ever, and that there are many ways for money to travel between countries/banks/etc.

5 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

i think you are right I think they have defined the system based on the old (banking) way of doing things, which will work. 

They used a very generic term "transfer from overseas" authorising a lot of ways to do it.

TransferWise and cash method are not fully traceable as "from overseas", so can't be use. Logical.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Come on folks, why should you think Thai immigration is different to anywhere else in Thailand ? No different from Global House, Tesco Lotus or Homepro to name but three where the business model is to employ hundreds, if not thousands of staff, poorly trained and completely unmotivated on such a very low wage, rather than have a few better paid, highly skilled and motivated personnel in order to operate effectively and efficiently.

I think about the process they have used, not the people.

In another thread I read yesterday they have been contacted already and they advised that they use 3 banks for the transfers. TMB, BKK and one another that I can not remember.  The understanding being that it appears not to be able to be requested as to which one they transfer initially to in Thailand. I did a test transfer Monday from the UK to my BKK bank and it was indeed listed as an international transfer but the impressions elsewhere then as you said even that could change. A complete mess if you ask me as previously for a marriage extension, when income was confirmed by the embassy, there was no requirement for that money to even be transferred into a Thai account so why they are now stipulating is should be is a fundamental policy change, impacting  those of us using the likes of Tranferwise etc. together with other issues as your own.
It will show as an international transfer in the records of the Thai bank which receives it from TW. If that happens to be the same bank your account is in, no problem.

If not then the initial receiving bank will do a domestic transfer to your account and your bank's records will show it as a domestic transfer. Your options then would be to get a letter or other documentation from the receiving bank and either (1) present it to Imm along with your own bank's letter and passbook and explain to them the connection or (2) present it to your bank and ask them to include the information in their letter. If your bank is willing #2 may be simpler than explaining to Imm why letters from 2 different banks even though only 1 bank account, but if not, #1 seems only recourse.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Has ANYONE been denied an extension on the basis that they could not prove their income was from outside Thailand???  This seems like splitting hairs. If you have income and do not work in Thailand, it follows that it MUST come from outside Thailand.

I believe I saw one post claiming to transfer to Bangkok Bank from Transferwise multiple times and 2 out of 12 in the last year did not show up as International. Perhaps my error or the posters? 
From what others have said, TW sometimes uses TMN or Kasikorn rather than Bkk Bank as the receiving bank though seem to use Bkk Bank the most. Those 2 out of 12 times may have been cases where they used one of the other banks.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

If you go into your Kasikorn online account under account management, statement enquiry, service channel heading the income shows up as an INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND FACTORING CENTRE action with a transaction reference number.

+1

It seems the Kasikorn people don't know this (....advice; maybe they are not able to open your online account?).

9 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Has ANYONE been denied an extension on the basis that they could not prove their income was from outside Thailand???  This seems like splitting hairs. If you have income and do not work in Thailand, it follows that it MUST come from outside Thailand.

How many people have already (try to) use this new method? Probably none yet...

Those who have to renew in January must have get an Embassy letter las month.

And no, it doesn't have to come in Thailand. You have other options if you don't want this one.

Edited by Pattaya46

On 1/8/2019 at 12:06 PM, Thailand said:

Bangkok bank show my UK pension as foreign transfer in to my savings account  so no problem, just switch to be on the safe side 

No!  Lines are already too long at Bangkok Bank.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That is useful to know, I never noticed the "Description of service channel " tab.

But (1) it goes back only 6 months.  So one would have to remember to download it at the half year mark.  (2) Despite this, local branch staff state they are unable to access information on source of transfers.  (3) Are you sure Imm will accept a print out of your online statement? They seem to want to see bank book, not print out statement.

I'm having trouble understanding why the strong objection to having the same bank letter that confirms the account and its balance confirm that the transfers came from abroad. I've been doing exactly that for 15 years and my IO has been happy with it.

Will not find out for a while. I got my Embassy letter before crimbo, good for my renewal in March. I intend to copy the page along with my statement and show Irritation when I do my next 90 days!

Yes, using a credit union. They will only do a in country transfer.  Airforce credit union, checked on Navy CU also same. I opened a Wells Fargo Acc. Get you a RSA devise from WF if you are going to use in Thailand. It saves you a lot of problems, WF has a high security system, good and bad. Will ask for authentications sometime. It produces a 6 digit code every minute to us on your acc. I opened a TransferWise world account, they give you a ACH # and Routing number so you can set it up as a in country transfer from WF to your TW acc. Then move from TW to BB. Still have my CU acc. and have my military retirement going to it. If I need just move to WF. Good to have more then one option. 
I also bank at a Credit Union.

They do international transfers via Swift Code.

So must vary with the individual Credit Union.

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

My K statement has: "Domestic Money Transfer BNT00001". The code BNT00001 does not exist in their Service Channel descriptions.

As I transfer through OFX it appears that I am caught up in their system as described by another poster i.e. OFX-Barclays-Bangkok Bank-Kasikorn.

My comes direct from my Halifax account. As I noted in another reply I am going to ask Irritation when I do my next 90 days!! By the way mine is a savings account and I send it in sterling.

29 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Mountain? 5 sheets of paper for extension + 3 for re-entry...

They used a very generic term "transfer from overseas" authorising a lot of ways to do it.

TransferWise and cash method are not fully traceable as "from overseas", so can't be use. Logical.

Copies of passport pages, TM6, photos attached to (guess now...PAPER), bank letters, Income letters, etc etc etc......

If you have in excess of 800k in your Thai bank account you do not have to prove that the funds came from overseas. Immigration doesn't care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

I am guessing Immigration Police aren't exactly aware that the world is more connected than ever, and that there are many ways for money to travel between countries/banks/etc.

Immigration don't handle financial matters, it is not their job otherwise they would also be flying planes.  Your bank will have to know where all your monies are going in and coming out from.  If they don't do you expect immigration to know better or that they take over from the bank by asking for new resources and expertise to something they have no idea about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

and wrong.

The TW transfer PDF shows the original amount in the original currency and the subsequent converted transferred amount in baht going into your thai bank account.

Does it also say the original currency was transferred from overseas?

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

And you feel certain there is no need for this letter to confirm funds came from abroad? Even in  cases where the bank book does not contain that information?

My bet is the bank will do a cover letter confirming an account and then attach a standard 12 month detailed statement of the account... At the pages will be stamped multiple time with a pretty red seal and signed by a bank officer ... 500 baht... You will have to fight it out with Immigration whether or not the amounts and codes stated on the standard statement will be considered “from abroad”...

My bet is the bank will do a cover letter confirming an account and then attach a standard 12 month detailed statement of the account... At the pages will be stamped multiple time with a pretty red seal and signed by a bank officer ... 500 baht... You will have to fight it out with Immigration whether or not the amounts and codes stated on the standard statement will be considered “from abroad”...

I've bet on the horses but I would never do betting at immigration. you have this misled notion that you can fight it out and negotiate with immigration.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, kannot said:

and the result will be families split up even though applicants actually have the money

It will be the choice of the applicant to willfuly disregard the requirements of immigration to split the family up. However if applying for a spouse/kid extension then a 60 day extension will let the applicant season 400k

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

I'm with SCB and my statement doesn't indicate an international transfer either (using TransferWise). Under "Transaction" it says "XI" which means Transfer Deposit and under "Channel" it says "ATS" meaning Automated Transfer System. Other than using a transfer direct from my bank I can't see a way around this. Also, my extension is due the beginning of October which means that I won't be able to show 12 monthly transfers of 65,000 THB, unless they allow us to average out over a shorter time. Luckily, I am able to transfer 800,000 for the lump sum deposit if I can't find a solution to the monthly transfer problem.

I realise I could open an account with Bangkok Bank, but I'd prefer not to, I'm already with three banks here.

In all probability in 2019 immigration will accept proven international transfers (use TW and you can be unlucky, use SWIFT and you will be OK) starting in January 2019 and will not insist on 12 months.

9 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Wrong.  Within the last two months I have had a deposit routed by TW using Kasikorn as their banking partner.

The confusion seems to be getting worse, LOL, i don't doubt your word, could i inquire as to what  the kasikorn code next to the deposit indicate on your statement and your Bank Book?
Just begs the question, if they TW are using all these three Banks (TMB KAS & BKK) why if you are sending it to Kasikorn they are sending it from there TMB account (As they do in my case) why not just send it  from there Kasikorn  account, does not make a lot of sense to me.

Regards

TB

2 hours ago, Benroon said:
2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

and wrong.

The TW transfer PDF shows the original amount in the original currency and the subsequent converted transferred amount in baht going into your thai bank account.

Not wrong.

immigration does not care about anything other than your Thai bank letter, book, and statement 

The TW PDF is irrelevant, all other documents are irrelevant 

1 minute ago, tigerbalm said:

why if you are sending it to Kasikorn they are sending it from there TMB account

Something made me think about this. Perhaps something to do with sufficient funds being in their accounts? Perhaps they select based on sufficient or ample funds.

Not wrong.

immigration does not care about anything other than your Thai bank letter, book, and statement 

The TW PDF is irrelevant, all other documents are irrelevant 
It's amazing how people don't seem to understand that but we're going to get pages and pages more on Transferwise. Lol. Wishful thinking is thriving here.

Just now, tigerbalm said:

The confusion seems to be getting worse, LOL, i don't doubt your word, could i inquire as to what  the kasikorn code next to the deposit indicate on your statement and your Bank Book?
Just begs the question, if they TW are using all these three Banks (TMB KAS & BKK) why if you are sending it to Kasikorn they are sending it from there TMB account (As they do in my case) why not just send it  from there Kasikorn  account, does not make a lot of sense to me.

Regards

TB

As I said in my post above.  I have had receipts from TW from all three of their banking partners, all sent and showing 'Local bank transfer'.  Again, as per that post, each one shows as a local transfer and all use a code starting MCL. Only when they have used SWIFT have their transfers ever shown up as international transfers (those two times they used Bangkok Bank and TMB).  So to Kasikorn won't show up as international transfer even if Kasikorn is the partner bank used, only if they do the TX by SWIFT, for me anyways.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Something made me think about this. Perhaps something to do with sufficient funds being in their accounts? Perhaps they select based on sufficient or ample funds.

Basically a distributed warehousing system ....

• Haha 1

The banks should realise that if using Transferwise the funds did originate from overseas, its just a processing technicality that TW probably send a bulk amount every day and then transfer locally. They should just deem all TW transactions as overseas (why would anyone transfer local to local using TW except TW). Maybe the banks will think a bit more following the new immigration requirements

• Haha 1