Kasikorn Bank can't confirm UK pension comes from abroad?

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I called BKK Bank transfer dept and was told that TW is considered an international transfer. My mobile app shows the same. 

That's why I said unless you are with Bangkok Bank.  Meaning IF you are with BKK bank it will show as an international transfer.  Not sure what's so har to understand about the sentence? But at least one poster has experienced a rogue transaction that didn't, presumably because another routing bank was used, as opposed to their normal route of direct to Bangkok Bank.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Wake up, people!

DeeMoney charges only 150B to send money as far as USA.

KBank charges up to 750B "Domestic Transfer" after your money wired from US has arrived in Bangkok, just to move it to local branch

No such robbery item at Bangkok Bank

Kbank.jpg

Huh????

DeeMoney is for sending money OUT of Thailand.  This thread is about sending money INTO Thailand.

3 minutes ago, SooKee said:

That's why I said unless you are with Bangkok Bank.  Meaning IF you are with BKK bank it will show as an international transfer.  Not sure what's so har to understand about the sentence? But at least one poster has experienced a rogue transaction that didn't, presumably because another routing bank was used, as opposed to their normal route of direct to Bangkok Bank.

My apologies..  missed that.. I understand that banks do make mistakes. In fact, I had BKK Bank print all last years international deposits that were sent to BKK Bank NY. 4 were missing. They checked and determined that they were coded wrong. They corrected it and revised my statement. 

It seem that you are suggesting that the requirements Bank letter, bankbook copies and (or) statement that show the immigration officers you have domestic transfers can successfully have random unauthenticated home printed PDFs added and that they (the IO) will be so overwhelmed with the milk of human kindness they will let you have an extension 555555555555555.

Don't you understand anything like that CAN be faked that is why the statement has to have a bank stamp and signature on it and the letter MUST be on bank stationary not plain paper (maybe a bank stamp and signature is also OK )

That's all part of the learning process, hopefully the banks will do all that, some may not. If the bank doesn't then it falls to the IO, if they say no then we'll get a list of banks that are no use and people need to move banks. Personally I'm with Kasikorn, I'll give it a couple of months and see how others go, if not good then I'll open a Bangkok Bank account. We need examples as they happen
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Sorry if this was mentioned and I missed it but do you need to get your bankbook stamped every month after the funds are deposited from an overseas account? Is it easy to get the statement from the bank for proof of income or is that a hassle?

No need to get your bank book stamped but a couple of yearly updates will be good.

The bank statement is easy to get, it will very probably be automatically supplied with the bank letter but if not just ask. The only change for the statement is that up to now it has just been for 3 months, from now it needs to cover the complete year if you use income from overseas, that is almost certainly why the banks are talking to immigration. 

You should be sure to check the dates on the statement  

10 minutes ago, SooKee said:

It would be useful to know what country the person who reported the non foreign TW transfer?... It might be an originating country issue as apposed to a random local routing bank decision... For instance transfers from the US may go directly from a US bank to BK Banks NY branch and show as foreign transfer 100% of the time while a Canadian transfer may take a less circuitous route and bounce around a couple Thai banks...

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

You need to read my comments in the context of the post.  Yes we all know what the regulations state, what we don't know at all, is what other evidence Immigration might want or even be prepared to consider in the event that someone gets transactions that do not show up as international.  At the moment they can, and do, ask to look at documents beyond the income affidavit for instance (pension letters and whatever).  Not in the regulations but they can and do ask.  Being new, nobody they knows what documentation they might consider in the event of the wheel coming off.

As you say the can and sometimes do ask for extra documents and it is in the guidelines  those documents support an already compliant application 

They do not make a incompliant application OK

have your lump sum ready.

18 minutes ago, SooKee said:

DeeMoney is for sending money OUT of Thailand.  This thread is about sending money INTO Thailand.

I was talking about Kbank charging money WITHIN Thailand, after your wired money has arrived in Bangkok.

The fee is high even compared to an international transfer by Deemoney, got it?

4 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

I was talking about Kbank charging money WITHIN Thailand, after your wired money has arrived in Bangkok.

The fee is high even compared to an international transfer by Deemoney, got it?

Firstly, maybe post with a bit more clarity then and omit the pointless reference to DeeMoney and it's transfer fees which have zero relevance here.  Secondly, Kasikorn will levy no charges for a local bank transfer received from another bank in Thailand.  Got it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As you say the can and sometimes do ask for extra documents and it is in the guidelines  those documents support an already compliant application 

They do not make a incompliant application OK

have your lump sum ready.

No need thanks.  Confident my application will be fine.  But thanks for your concern.  And until folks start turning up at Immigration with applications where they have a problem and until we know what Immigration will do about it when referencing other documentation we, including you, won't know.

Enough for me with this thread.  Way too much like hard work.

13 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

It would be useful to know what country the person who reported the non foreign TW transfer?... It might be an originating country issue as apposed to a random local routing bank decision... For instance transfers from the US may go directly from a US bank to BK Banks NY branch and show as foreign transfer 100% of the time while a Canadian transfer may take a less circuitous route and bounce around a couple Thai banks...

IIRC, US citizen.

On 1/8/2019 at 12:44 PM, Thailand said:

Hold on that. My pension transfers are shown as BTN, Bahtnet. This is a method of transferring funds between Branches or Banks throughout the country,so not useful.

Telegraphic transfers from overseas show as FCT which indicate foreign currency transfers. My pension arrives in Thai Baht so maybe that is the problem. Only ever used the lump sum method but a combo may be useful

May have to look at Sheryl's alternative. Will check with Bangkok Bank.

More problems to resolve with the new changes in requirements.

Bangkok Bank can do exactly the same thing as K'bank, they can provide full transaction details of any activity/deposit to your account, all banks have this information - anti laundering regulations require it, it can show every step your transfer took on the way to you account

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No need to get your bank book stamped but a couple of yearly updates will be good.

The bank statement is easy to get, it will very probably be automatically supplied with the bank letter but if not just ask. The only change for the statement is that up to now it has just been for 3 months, from now it needs to cover the complete year if you use income from overseas, that is almost certainly why the banks are talking to immigration. 

You should be sure to check the dates on the statement  

you may need to update more than a couple of times a year if yo uhave a ot of transactions.

After a certain number of transactions the update will automatically combine them into a single code. You can request a separate detailed printout but you miss the chance to have the bank book show what it needs to show. has happened to me several times. Last time after less than 2 month since prior update.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Bangkok Bank can do exactly the same thing as K'bank, they can provide full transaction details of any activity/deposit to your account, all banks have this information - anti laundering regulations require it, it can show every step your transfer took on the way to you account

So your saying that if you transfer me 65,000 I can go to my bank or yours and ask them where the money you sent me from your account came from?

As for wire transfers... it’s not like your 65k is sent in one decrete amount... It is lumped into larger sums and transferred around the globe in huge sweep accounts... 

Edited by sfokevin

There have been more posters with non-international transfers with TW than with, and some getting a combination of both. I contact the TW London office and this was their reply. Someone else also got the same information from them. Image1547098740.587214.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/8/2019 at 12:04 PM, luckyluke said:

Maybe, just maybe, banks will review their code system if a lot of Farang customers will move their account to the Bangkok Bank.

On the other hand I am afraid we are not that important.

I think you mean foreign, not farang.

22 hours ago, Benroon said:

They never use Kasikorn - they use Bangkok Bank or TMB

Interesting.

Yesterday I sent an email to TW help querying what banks they use and the bank codes.

Elo Tamm wrote:

Hi Bill,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

We do have 3 partner banks in Thailand – Thai military bank (TMB), Bangkok Bank (BBL) and Kasikorn Bank (KBANK).

All the payments we process to THB are local payments meaning our partner bank in Thailand will send out a payment to the recipient’s THB bank account.

The partner bank we use on each payment may differ as the choice is made based on which one would be more efficient on the moment we send out the payment to THB.

Therefore, please clarify the meaning of “the bank service code shows as Dummy Branch MCL07416 and NOT as an international transfer.”?

If Thai Immigration is asking for further documentation about your transfers, then you may provide them the transfer receipts by downloading them from your activity.

Please do let me know if this clears things up or in case any questions remained unanswered!

With kind regards,
Elo Tamm
TransferWise

I responded as follows and I am awaiting their reply.

Good morning

Actually your reply has only partly cleared my query leaving several questions.

Firstly. Why can you not direct the funds directly to my Kasikorn account as Kasikorn IS one of your partner banks? From my point of view it is much simpler and much more efficient as the funds have only to go from where your funds are straight into my Kasikorn account rather than via a secondary bank.

Therefore, please clarify the meaning of “the bank service code shows as Dummy Branch MCL07416 and NOT as an international transfer.”? 

Secondly. The code MCL 07416 according to my bank book is the code for  CL = cheque clearing and 07416 = Stock Trading/Suppliers. M I am not sure of yet.

Thirdly. Thai Immigration are looking for regular transfers (preferably international). They are not bankers nor do they understand banking sort codes (which differ from bank to bank) but they ARE the people who authorise the extensions of visas for thousands of foreigners in Thailand every year.

They are bureaucrats and that is what they understand and they work within a set of guidelines laid down by the Immigration Department. Many of them have only limited English skills let alone other European languages and prefer simple and correct to make their life easy. When their life is easy then our lives are easier as well.

Regards
  • Like 1

Interesting.

Yesterday I sent an email to TW help querying what banks they use and the bank codes.

Elo Tamm wrote:
Hi Bill,
We do have 3 partner banks in Thailand – Thai military bank (TMB), Bangkok Bank (BBL) and Kasikorn Bank (KBANK).
All the payments we process to THB are local payments meaning our partner bank in Thailand will send out a payment to the recipient’s THB bank account.
The partner bank we use on each payment may differ as the choice is made based on which one would be more efficient on the moment we send out the payment to THB.
If Thai Immigration is asking for further documentation about your transfers, then you may provide them the transfer receipts by downloading them from your activity.
Please do let me know if this clears things up or in case any questions remained unanswered!
With kind regards,
Elo Tamm
TransferWise

Good morning   Actually your reply has only partly cleared my query leaving several questions.   Firstly. Why can you not direct the funds directly to my Kasikorn account as Kasikorn IS one of your partner banks? From my point of view it is much simpler and much more efficient as the funds have only to go from where your funds are straight into my Kasikorn account rather than via a secondary bank.     Therefore, please clarify the meaning of “the bank service code shows as Dummy Branch MCL07416 and NOT as an international transfer.”?    Secondly. The code MCL 07416 according to my bank book is the code for  CL = cheque clearing and 07416 = Stock Trading/Suppliers. M I am not sure of yet.   Thirdly. Thai Immigration are looking for regular transfers (preferably international). They are not bankers nor do they understand banking sort codes (which differ from bank to bank) but they ARE the people who authorise the extensions of visas for thousands of foreigners in Thailand every year.   They are bureaucrats and that is what they understand and they work within a set of guidelines laid down by the Immigration Department. Many of them have only limited English skills let alone other European languages and prefer simple and correct to make their life easy. When their life is easy then our lives are easier as well.   Regards

Which county are you sending the funds from?

• Like 1

Interesting.

Elo Tamm wrote:
Hi Bill,
With kind regards,
Elo Tamm
TransferWise

Good morning   Actually your reply has only partly cleared my query leaving several questions.   Firstly. Why can you not direct the funds directly to my Kasikorn account as Kasikorn IS one of your partner banks? From my point of view it is much simpler and much more efficient as the funds have only to go from where your funds are straight into my Kasikorn account rather than via a secondary bank.     Therefore, please clarify the meaning of “the bank service code shows as Dummy Branch MCL07416 and NOT as an international transfer.”?    Secondly. The code MCL 07416 according to my bank book is the code for  CL = cheque clearing and 07416 = Stock Trading/Suppliers. M I am not sure of yet.   Thirdly. Thai Immigration are looking for regular transfers (preferably international). They are not bankers nor do they understand banking sort codes (which differ from bank to bank) but they ARE the people who authorise the extensions of visas for thousands of foreigners in Thailand every year.   They are bureaucrats and that is what they understand and they work within a set of guidelines laid down by the Immigration Department. Many of them have only limited English skills let alone other European languages and prefer simple and correct to make their life easy. When their life is easy then our lives are easier as well.   Regards
The reason they can't send it direct is they do massive bulk transfers daily

I'm not sure that some of the people here are getting it yet. Transferwise offer a great, quick service for getting money into Thailand but their modus operandi is no good for proving that the money comes from abroad. That's why they can't be used to bring in funds for a condo purchase, for example.  As the responses to various posters' enquiries from Transferwise clearly set out they will choose whatever method they want to get the money into your account including using money already in Thailand.

A lot of us use Transferwise because of their quick and low cost service but it ain't going to be any good for your visa extension unless immigration don't start checking where the money comes from - and that's not likely. In my case the transfers in the early part of 2018 were shown as international transfers but suddenly in August they changed to Dummy branch. We aren't going to be able to rely on Transferwise to satisfy the new Immigration requirements. I think it's probably unlikely that, whatever bank you use here, you're going to reliably get 12 consecutive transfers shown as foreign transfers.  

I don't like this any more than anyone else but, unless something changes in the next few months, then that's the way it is.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

you may need to update more than a couple of times a year if yo uhave a ot of transactions.

After a certain number of transactions the update will automatically combine them into a single code. You can request a separate detailed printout but you miss the chance to have the bank book show what it needs to show. has happened to me several times. Last time after less than 2 month since prior update.

I normally update my passbooks now once a month when I am out shopping or in the village. It is free and a good habit to start.

8 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

Which county are you sending the funds from?

The UK.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I normally update my passbooks now once a month when I am out shopping or in the village. It is free and a good habit to start.

I’m a city boy and my passbook has remained in my safe for years only coming out along with my passport when I need to go to show proof of account at the bank to correspond with them directly... I do most everything online thru their website & app... Every six month I make a point to go in and request a six month statement printout that has a detailed print of all transactions... They put a few pretty red stamps on each page and sign their names to it.  All for 200 baht!... I have these with all my monthly transfers highlighted and in the past my agent asks if I I have backup for my Affidavit I show him these and he take these over my stack of tax returns as proof of affidavit income to give to immigration.

Obviously TI will need more than the six month statements under the new rules... My bet is that the banks will issue a detailed 12 month statement with a cover letter similar to the 800k letter they issue now...

The passbook is antiquated, inconvenient and from what others have said can easily become incomplete if you miss for a period for a while

I've just done some comparisons between using TW or a direct bank transfer from UK Nationwide (GBP20 for SWIFT) to Kasikorn for the 65,000 bt/mon.

Using the current rates quoted by both TW and Kbank at the same instant, a bank to bank SWIFT is 39.76 GBP more expensive, or 477 GBP over the year.

If you need to send in 2 tranches each month the additional cost is almost double (71/mon or 850/yr).  If you receive 3 separate pensions and cannot wait to consolidate them then it'll be more again.

One thing to bearing mind though, is that TW quote a fixed rate which allows you to send EXACTLY 65,000bt.  Using the bank-to-bank SWIFT, the rate is only fixed when the cash arrives (and the receiving bank decides to convert it) which could result in a lower rate being applied.  Since you don't want less than 65,000bt to arrive, it would make sense to send perhaps an extra 1% or so. 

Clearly there are significant savings and other benefits in being able to use Transferwise (or a similar low cost system), and if this means opening a new account with BBL to receive these funds then I think it's worth doing, if you need to rely on this method.

Note:  UK bank fees for SWIFT varies from around 5 to 25 GBP, so my example above may not apply to all...  YMMV.

• Thanks 2

I've just done some comparisons between using TW or a direct bank transfer from UK Nationwide (GBP20 for SWIFT) to Kasikorn for the 65,000 bt/mon.

Using the current rates quoted by both TW and Kbank at the same instant, a bank to bank SWIFT is 39.76 GBP more expensive, or 477 GBP over the year.
If you need to send in 2 tranches each month the additional cost is almost double (71/mon or 850/yr).  If you receive 3 separate pensions and cannot wait to consolidate them then it'll be more again.

One thing to bearing mind though, is that TW quote a fixed rate which allows you to send EXACTLY 65,000bt.  Using the bank-to-bank SWIFT, the rate is only fixed when the cash arrives (and the receiving bank decides to convert it) which could result in a lower rate being applied.  Since you don't want less than 65,000bt to arrive, it would make sense to send perhaps an extra 1% or so. 

Clearly there are significant savings and other benefits in being able to use Transferwise (or a similar low cost system), and if this means opening a new account with BBL to receive these funds then I think it's worth doing, if you need to rely on this method.

Note:  UK bank fees for SWIFT varies from around 5 to 25 GBP, so my example above may not apply to all...  YMMV.
Would be good to know if there are any companies that will send a chaps payment with low cost but you don't need to bank with them?

Also anyone fancy letting on to Immigration that Bangkok Bank is showing these transfers as International incorrectly

Kasikorn Bank can't add and subtract. Not unusual for Thailand. You are lucky that they let you open an account. I had no such luck.  "Must have work permit" .  Me:  "I am retired, cannot work."   Them:  "Must have work permit."

2 hours ago, colinchaffers said:

There have been more posters with non-international transfers with TW than with, and some getting a combination of both. I contact the TW London office and this was their reply. Someone else also got the same information from them. Image1547098740.587214.jpg

Actually she is wrong (misinformed, or not understanding the question). It does show as an international transfer at the bank they partner with for the transaction.

The problem is that it is then often sent onward to the recipients account and that of course is a domestic transfer.

If they could allow people to select which of those 3 banks is used for the transaction people could arrange to have their accounts at that same bank and problem solved. but currently people have no way of knowing. They seem to use Bangkok Bank more than the other two but not exclusively.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Also anyone fancy letting on to Immigration that Bangkok Bank is showing these transfers as International incorrectly

It is not incorrect. The fund transfer originated abroad. They show it as international only when they are the bank used by TW for the transfer. When a different bank s used and they receive a domestic transfer form them, it shows as domestic.

• Like 2

Actually she is wrong (misinformed, or not understanding the question). It does show as an international transfer at the bank they partner with for the transaction.

The problem is that it is then often sent onward to the recipients account and that of course is a domestic transfer.

If they could allow people to select which of those 3 banks is used for the transaction people could arrange to have their accounts at that same bank and problem solved. but currently people have no way of knowing. They seem to use Bangkok Bank more than the other two but not exclusively.
I'm pretty sure i read that not all bank chaps payments to Kasikorn will show as Intl, Is that true? or will they all show as Intl?