Savanakhet consulate visa documents

I am doing a visa run to Savanakhet for the first time next week 16/17/18 January 2019. Sorry I know this has been done to death in various threads, but it's my first time after several years on an OA based on marriage and annual extensions. I am aware this will "kill" that! But as I come and go this actually looks better for me as no financials are required.

Could someone who does this be kind enough to confirm the following:

I will want a multiple entry type O visa valid 1 year based on marriage to a Thai.

I think that is what I want as I understand it gives me  multiple entries and stays each time of up to 90 days for the 1 year validity of the visa. By timing it right that could actually give me up to 15 months here plus 1, 60 day, extension if needed. Also, when I leave Thailand on this visa I can return the same day, if I wished, for a further 90 days, although I don't expect that to happen, still useful.

I understand the documents I need are

1 fully completed application form, obtainable outside the Consulate

My passport + photocopy of picture page

2 passport sized photos of me, plus 1 for Lao visa on arrival

Original Thai marriage certificate + 1 photocopy, signed by my wife

Copy of my wife's ID card, front and back, signed by her

Complete copy of my wife's blue House Book, signed by her

5,000 baht fee.

My wife does not need to accompany me.

Is that it? 

i think I read that a handwritten statement in Thai from my wife, confirming  that I stay with her and she wishes that to continue is also needed but I haven't found that post again. Needed or not?

Also no financials of any kind whatsoever eg bank pass book, are required. Just adequate cash for the Lao visa 1,500 baht, for the Thai visa, 5,000 baht and for the expenses of the trip.

I'll be driving to the bridge, as it's less than 3 hours from home, parking the car on the Thai side where I believe there is covered parking ( at a cost of 200 baht a day ?) and then getting on the bus to Savanakhet on the Thai side ( 50 baht)  at Thai immigration. Do I do this before or after Thai immigration?

I read somewhere that there may also be an entry and exit fee charged on the Lao side. Or is it the Thai side? Right or wrong? 

Have I missed anything?

So far as the Thai visa application form is concerned: I could use some help, here's what I think

Section 2 for present address I give the hotel I am staying at in Savanakhet, for permanent address do I give my wife's Thai address or my European address( ie: where I am legally resident)?

Section 3 I am on a UK passport, so I guess valid all countries.

Section 4 Purpose of visits. To visit my Thai wife, date of arrival in Thailand will be the 18/1/2019, travelling by bus/car, previous visit to Thailand would be the last entry date showing on my passport to 16/1/19, proposed stay 90 days each permitted entry, place of stay being may wife's address.

Section 5 I have no guarantors either in Lao or Thailand, except of course my wife. Do I leave both blank or simply put my wife's name in for Thailand

Apologies for the length of this post! Anxious to get all bases covered so as to avoid delays/ difficulties.

Thanks in advance for replies.

SVK-VisaForm (1).PDF

It may turn out to be a fairly short term solution for a permanent stayer like yourself. .  The 'no financials required for a Non O visa' is an obvious gap in the system that the Thais can plug easily and I image that they are already on to it. It may still end up being a lot less onerous than the other alternatives for proving sufficient income, bit it can only get more difficult, not less.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It may turn out to be a fairly short term solution for a permanent stayer like yourself. .  The 'no financials required for a Non O visa' is an obvious gap in the system that the Thais can plug easily and I image that they are already on to it. It may still end up being a lot less onerous than the other alternatives for proving sufficient income, bit it can only get more difficult, not less.    

Envy, what a beast...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I am sure some IOs in the agent-money chain don't like it.  But, fortunately, even if they add financials to the application (like in Penang), an embassy-letter (over 40K Baht/mo) from a Thai consulate overseas will work.  It's only in Thailand they stopped issuing those letters from my embassy, due to objections from Thai immigration. 

• Like 1

Just got back yesterday from doing the same thing. Don't stress mate, it's a very easy process and Laos is a really relaxing place to spend a couple of days.

The tuk tuk drivers will hassle you when you get through Laos immigration lol

• Haha 1

Not needed - for the past 8-9 years I have been going there.

I was there on Boxing Day and used the photocopy tent directly across the road from the consulate , they told me and others that they require photocopy of Laos entry stamp now. Apologies if this is not correct , looks like I have been scammed for 10baht.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, a3tsw said:

I was there on Boxing Day and used the photocopy tent directly across the road from the consulate , they told me and others that they require photocopy of Laos entry stamp now. Apologies if this is not correct , looks like I have been scammed for 10baht.

Yep....????

Is there a difference between a Lao applied multi entry non-O and a multi entry non-o to visit wife. You say no funds required. If they should ask for some proof of funds, how much in Bank book would satisfy them and would you have to show proof of where money came from? Posters mentioning ME-O from Saigon same as Savannakhet. Would it matter if Passport only shows long term extensions based on retirement to get the ME Visa would the multi entry Non-O still be approved? 

Only non-o I have ever had was a 90 Day non-o for marriage from LA while living in Tacoma over 20 years go. Terminology is a bit confusing. I understand the difference based on an extension.

Thank you. 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, Pilotman said:

Appreciate what you say, even though not what I was asking. I would just say that I do not spend more than 6 months in total a year in Thailand, and have finally realised that sticking 400k in the bank doing nothing for 2 months is not only a bummer but at least at present not necessary for how I arrange things..nor for expenditure here. Of course the coming and going, especially under this type of visa, could cost me more than 400k but I doubt it.,even travelling business class long haul.

And thanks to all for your help and encouragement.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 4:32 PM, Danthai said:

Is there a difference between a Lao applied multi entry non-O and a multi entry non-o to visit wife.

No - there is just one "1-Year Non-O Multiple Entry Visa" - which is available at some Thai consulates.  You get 90-days permitted-stay on each entry from it.

You say no funds required. If they should ask for some proof of funds, how much in Bank book would satisfy them and would you have to show proof of where money came from?

No funds at either Thai consulate in Vietnam, or in Laos.  But Vientiane Laos does not offer the 1-Year Multiple-Entry version - must go to Savannakhet if going to Laos - either consulate in Vietnam offers it.

If you go to Penang, you can get this visa there, but must show funds (400K in a bank, or 40K/mo proof with an embassy-letter).

Posters mentioning ME-O from Saigon same as Savannakhet. Would it matter if Passport only shows long term extensions based on retirement to get the ME Visa would the multi entry Non-O still be approved?

It will be approved if you have your original marriage-cert to show (flowery one), plus a copy of your wife's house-book and ID (front and back) and copy of the original marriage certificate - with all 3 copies signed by her.

In Vietnam, also include a short letter from your wife requesting they give you the Visa (not needed in Laos).

Only non-o I have ever had was a 90 Day non-o for marriage from LA while living in Tacoma over 20 years go. Terminology is a bit confusing. I understand the difference based on an extension.

Thank you. 

Yes - not to be confused with a "1-year extension based on marriage to a Thai" from an immigration office in Thailand - which allows staying a year continuously.

• Thanks 1

Thank You Jack Thompson. Have processed a Bangkok direct deposit account for SSA and Military Retired Pay, but they indicated SSA can take two or three months to start. Hoping to get a retirement extension on combination method, but my extension was done just before they came out with all the new rules about proving money is being transferred. So don't know what they will do with money in bank and less than 12 months direct come end of September 2019.

Good luck to everyone getting their extensions.

12 hours ago, Danthai said:

Thank You Jack Thompson. Have processed a Bangkok direct deposit account for SSA and Military Retired Pay, but they indicated SSA can take two or three months to start.

That is nonsense that some branches state. It should not take more than a couple of weeks after your application for the direct deposit account and your 1199 forms are received at the main office in Bangkok. They scan the 1199 for SSA and sent it by email to the Manila office. Not sure how the handle the one for your military retirement payments.

Hope your right Ubonjoe. When I questioned it, they said not them, but it is Social Security taken time. I can access my DFAS secure online account and request direct deposit right away now that I have my direct deposit book and account number and NY bank routing number. Thank you for your expertise as always. 

8 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Hope your right Ubonjoe. When I questioned it, they said not them, but it is Social Security taken time. I can access my DFAS secure online account and request direct deposit right away now that I have my direct deposit book and account number and NY bank routing number. Thank you for your expertise as always. 

It might be Manila that is slowing things down by doing it as soon as they receive the email from Bangkok. I assume your address with the SSA is for here and that was what you put it on the 1199.

Be sure DFAS does it in the IAT format or it will be bounced back by Bangkok Bank in New York. I have heard that could be a problem with DFAS. Same for VA payments.

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It might be Manila that is slowing things down by doing it as soon as they receive the email from Bangkok. I assume your address with the SSA is for here and that was what you put it on the 1199.

Be sure DFAS does it in the IAT format or it will be bounced back by Bangkok Bank in New York. I have heard that could be a problem with DFAS. Same for VA payments.

Yes, can go to secure online account and change to Bangkok Bank using 9 digit code. Comes up with BKK NY Bank address. Social security should send to BKK NY. using all the information on BKK forms. Actually all my mail from IRS, Social security, DFAS statements are sent here using Apo military system through Bkk Embassy to Consulate. But Bkk did take my local address on some of their paperwork. Thank you again. Will just have to go with flow. Have several things going at same time as you know, and all these changes complicated everything this year.

Edited by Danthai
Typo

On 1/9/2019 at 1:39 PM, a3tsw said:

What a Naughty Scammer.....

On 1/17/2019 at 11:44 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

What a Naughty Scammer.....

Update: Yesterday went to the Savanakhet consulate as planned. Border crossing was fine. Not sure if you were scammed about the Lao entry stamp. Decided to get the consulate form across the road and fill it in whilst waiting to save time. The friendly guy asked if I had copy of Lao entry stamp. No, I said, not needed. It is he said. So I let him do it.15 baht for both form and the copy. Glue to stick on photos provided and plentyof pens.

So wait to go in. It's 8:30 and a small number waiting too. 9:05 and let in. I'm number 5 in queue and about 10 behind me. First 2 needed the consulate form. The guy behind the glass hands over forms as none outside in the waiting area. So back of the queue for them. No pens, no glue. They go away to do the forms. It's my turn in just a few minutes. The guy takes my papers and competed form, including the copy of the Lao stamp in my passport which he be kept.

He also took copy change of family name certificate for my wife and checked original. Why my wife decided to do this I do not know, but we have had this problem before because her name on marriage certificate does not match her ID card, which carries my family name, same as her passport. So I thought best add this in to complete the picture. Paid the 5k and given ticket. Less than 10 minutes inside. Nobody was waiting when I got there at 8 am. So going back this afternoon to collect my passport, hopefully with the right visa! No financial evidence of any kind required.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Update: Yesterday went to the Savanakhet consulate as planned. Border crossing was fine. Not sure if you were scammed about the Lao entry stamp. Decided to get the consulate form across the road and fill it in whilst waiting to save time. The friendly guy asked if I had copy of Lao entry stamp. No, I said, not needed. It is he said. So I let him do it.15 baht for both form and the copy. Glue to stick on photos provided and plentyof pens.

So wait to go in. It's 8:30 and a small number waiting too. 9:05 and let in. I'm number 5 in queue and about 10 behind me. First 2 needed the consulate form. The guy behind the glass hands over forms as none outside in the waiting area. So back of the queue for them. No pens, no glue. They go away to do the forms. It's my turn in just a few minutes. The guy takes my papers and competed form, including the copy of the Lao stamp in my passport which he be kept.

He also took copy change of family name certificate for my wife and checked original. Why my wife decided to do this I do not know, but we have had this problem before because her name on marriage certificate does not match her ID card, which carries my family name, same as her passport. So I thought best add this in to complete the picture. Paid the 5k and given ticket. Less than 10 minutes inside. Nobody was waiting when I got there at 8 am. So going back this afternoon to collect my passport, hopefully with the right visa! No financial evidence of any kind required.

Very nice report. When registered your wife kept her own name on marriage documents (Certificate)? Your saying that it is best for gov ID and name on marriage docs best to match? Thanknyou for your report. Did you spent a night there?

11 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Very nice report. When registered your wife kept her own name on marriage documents (Certificate)? Your saying that it is best for gov ID and name on marriage docs best to match? Thanknyou for your report. Did you spent a night there?

You collect your PP the next day at 2pm...Except Saturday and Sunday....

4 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Well it's a bit weird.We married in Bangkok. The marriage certificate bears her family name before we were married. The registration document records that she wishes to use my family name, but you never have to produce that. Then she gets a change of name certificate at her local Amphur, along with new ID card in the my family name. As we've had problems from this before, I always include the original cha be of name certificate plus a copy. Original always checked and copy kept.

I stayed 2 nights: the night before making the application alleging supporting papers  as the consulate is only open from 9 - 11 am for this and  they only return your passport afternoon of following day. Stayed at Aura. Walkable to consulate, may be 15minutes. Very close to bus station. Pleasant stay. Restaurant is fine. A bit far from anything else though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Danthai said:

When registered your wife kept her own name on marriage documents (Certificate)? Your saying that it is best for gov ID and name on marriage docs best to match?

The marriage certificate will always show her maiden name on it.

It is not mandatory for her to take your name after you get married (before 2002 it was). My wife had no choice when we got married (2001) and we have never been asked for a name change certificate which is good because it was not issued back then.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both. Hope to register in near future after our little house is finished in Maejo and in her name. And hopefully have some options for visa extension late this year. Ubonjoe, I have had a nice direct contact with people that handled SS benefits. He assured me that the processing is handled in one two months, but can't change until Bangkok Bank sends the documents to them. So apparently it is the process through the BKK that delays the SS processing.

The SS claims department also explain the quickest way to change direct deposit BKK back to US bank. Can just call, email, or telephone giving them routing and account number and they will prioritize it.

With the kind information from several on blog, I feel like everything will work out somehow.