BANGKOK 17 February 2019 14:27
Kalasin Jo

Savanakhet consulate visa documents

I am doing a visa run to Savanakhet for the first time next week 16/17/18 January 2019. Sorry I know this has been done to death in various threads, but it's my first time after several years on an OA based on marriage and annual extensions. I am aware this will "kill" that! But as I come and go this actually looks better for me as no financials are required.

Could someone who does this be kind enough to confirm the following:

I will want a multiple entry type O visa valid 1 year based on marriage to a Thai.

I think that is what I want as I understand it gives me  multiple entries and stays each time of up to 90 days for the 1 year validity of the visa. By timing it right that could actually give me up to 15 months here plus 1, 60 day, extension if needed. Also, when I leave Thailand on this visa I can return the same day, if I wished, for a further 90 days, although I don't expect that to happen, still useful.

I understand the documents I need are

1 fully completed application form, obtainable outside the Consulate

My passport + photocopy of picture page

2 passport sized photos of me, plus 1 for Lao visa on arrival

Original Thai marriage certificate + 1 photocopy, signed by my wife

Copy of my wife's ID card, front and back, signed by her

Complete copy of my wife's blue House Book, signed by her

5,000 baht fee.

My wife does not need to accompany me.

Is that it? 

i think I read that a handwritten statement in Thai from my wife, confirming  that I stay with her and she wishes that to continue is also needed but I haven't found that post again. Needed or not?

Also no financials of any kind whatsoever eg bank pass book, are required. Just adequate cash for the Lao visa 1,500 baht, for the Thai visa, 5,000 baht and for the expenses of the trip.

I'll be driving to the bridge, as it's less than 3 hours from home, parking the car on the Thai side where I believe there is covered parking ( at a cost of 200 baht a day ?) and then getting on the bus to Savanakhet on the Thai side ( 50 baht)  at Thai immigration. Do I do this before or after Thai immigration?

I read somewhere that there may also be an entry and exit fee charged on the Lao side. Or is it the Thai side? Right or wrong? 

Have I missed anything?

So far as the Thai visa application form is concerned: I could use some help, here's what I think

Section 2 for present address I give the hotel I am staying at in Savanakhet, for permanent address do I give my wife's Thai address or my European address( ie: where I am legally resident)?

Section 3 I am on a UK passport, so I guess valid all countries.

Section 4 Purpose of visits. To visit my Thai wife, date of arrival in Thailand will be the 18/1/2019, travelling by bus/car, previous visit to Thailand would be the last entry date showing on my passport to 16/1/19, proposed stay 90 days each permitted entry, place of stay being may wife's address.

Section 5 I have no guarantors either in Lao or Thailand, except of course my wife. Do I leave both blank or simply put my wife's name in for Thailand

Apologies for the length of this post! Anxious to get all bases covered so as to avoid delays/ difficulties.

Thanks in advance for replies.

SVK-VisaForm (1).PDF

It may turn out to be a fairly short term solution for a permanent stayer like yourself. .  The 'no financials required for a Non O visa' is an obvious gap in the system that the Thais can plug easily and I image that they are already on to it. It may still end up being a lot less onerous than the other alternatives for proving sufficient income, bit it can only get more difficult, not less.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You're good to go KJ.

No changes at Savannakhet for multi entry Non-Imm O based on marriage.

Picked up mine 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It may turn out to be a fairly short term solution for a permanent stayer like yourself. .  The 'no financials required for a Non O visa' is an obvious gap in the system that the Thais can plug easily and I image that they are already on to it. It may still end up being a lot less onerous than the other alternatives for proving sufficient income, bit it can only get more difficult, not less.    

Envy, what a beast...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I am sure some IOs in the agent-money chain don't like it.  But, fortunately, even if they add financials to the application (like in Penang), an embassy-letter (over 40K Baht/mo) from a Thai consulate overseas will work.  It's only in Thailand they stopped issuing those letters from my embassy, due to objections from Thai immigration. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, metisdead said:

Moving to the Thailand Visas forum. 

Sorry! Thought I'd put it there.

15 hours ago, a3tsw said:

Copy of Laos entry stamp in your passport.

Not needed - for the past 8-9 years I have been going there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drjden said:

Confirmed, not needed.

21 minutes ago, drjden said:

Correct, the staff have eyes regarding PP stamps...😋

Just got back yesterday from doing the same thing. Don't stress mate, it's a very easy process and Laos is a really relaxing place to spend a couple of days.

The tuk tuk drivers will hassle you when you get through Laos immigration lol

• Haha 1

I was there on Boxing Day and used the photocopy tent directly across the road from the consulate , they told me and others that they require photocopy of Laos entry stamp now. Apologies if this is not correct , looks like I have been scammed for 10baht.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, a3tsw said:

I was there on Boxing Day and used the photocopy tent directly across the road from the consulate , they told me and others that they require photocopy of Laos entry stamp now. Apologies if this is not correct , looks like I have been scammed for 10baht.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yep....😋