Govt Quietly Halts Election Preparations Nationwide

webfact

Govt Quietly Halts Election Preparations Nationwide

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2%E0%

Protesters flash the anti-junta ‘three-finger salute’ during a rally to protest another election day Monday at the Election Commission in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — The interior affairs minister confirmed Tuesday a leaked memo instructing officials across the country to halt election preparations is genuine.

The leak sparked fresh outrage among opposition activists, some of whom are set to gather today to protest yet another delay to the poll, while the government and the Election Commission trade blame for not settling on an Election Day.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/01/08/govt-quietly-halts-election-preparations-nationwide/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-08

Not quietly enough it would seem. Amazing that they thought they could stop the election scheduled for next month and that no one would notice or care. I suspect the outcry and protests will start to grow in number, the longer this debacle continues.

As much as I would love to see a free and fair democratic system in my adoptive country, I have to admit to a small part of me enjoying all this if only to see how f###ed it can really get. A very small part of me. 

The next paragraph in the quoted article is interesting.

Speaking to reporters this morning, Gen. Anupong Paochinda said the memo was issued after the government failed to enact legislation that would have set Feb. 24 as the date.

Election Vow Highlights:
Election Will Take Place in October 2015 at Earliest
Post-Coup Election May Be Delayed To 2016
‘There Will Definitely be an Election’ in 2017, Prayuth Promises

Junta Promises Election in 2017, For Real This Time
No Elections For Thailand in 2017, NLA Says

No Really, There Will Be Elections in 2017, Prawit Says
Asserting ‘Thailand First,’ Prayuth Says Elections Up to Him
Election in 2019 For Sure Unless Not, Prayuth Says

“Let me confirm again that there will be an election, 1 million percent, no matter which day it would be, and whether it would be sooner or later than we expected,” Anupong said. “We haven’t seen the Royal Decree for this election yet, so we have to wait for clarity.”

So they have not passed the required legislation to hold the election. 

They seem to be waiting till the last possible minute to do anything in case a new excuse comes along. Maybe hoping for civil uprising to use as an excuse to defer indefinitely.

3 minutes ago, nikmar said:

As much as I would love to see a free and fair democratic system in my adoptive country, I have to admit to a small part of me enjoying all this if only to see how f###ed it can really get. A very small part of me. 

does it get really excited?

9 minutes ago, nikmar said:

Join the club ????

2 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

The next paragraph in the quoted article is interesting.

So they have not passed the required legislation to hold the election. 

They seem to be waiting till the last possible minute to do anything in case a new excuse comes along. Maybe hoping for civil uprising to use as an excuse to defer indefinitely.

it's a shame there isn't a few out there with the gonads to really bring it to a head -

hopefully one day there might just be someone out there with the necessary tackle to shout vive le Thailand and get something meaningful underway ensuring the correct outcome.

Would it be fair to say that this cretin is taking-the-piss out of Thailand and the world? He deserves hanging, as Trump appears to be telling him, having got no sensible answer out of Prayuth re the election date.

c87a44dc7743476f9e73d644006d4296-696x464

The junta put the blame on absence of royal decree who blame the EC who blame the junta who blame........ and the man who holds all the card with his Article 44 on whom the entire blame should fall upon is busy with his tv phone-in shindig. Holding back all the expletives in my vocabury. ????????????????????

11 minutes ago, Artisi said:

it's a shame there isn't a few out there with the gonads to really bring it to a head -

hopefully one day there might just be someone out there with the necessary tackle to shout vive le Thailand and get something meaningful underway ensuring the correct outcome.

It takes sometime to organise, however when they do get their feathers ruffled, watchout, the reason there is actually civilians allowed to even be included in the running of the country is because of people power, unfortunately the trade off to save face the last time was, Generals in charge of departments, so in reality the military have never stopped running the country, it wont happen again.   

12 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Would it be fair to say that this cretin is taking-the-piss out of Thailand and the world? He deserves hanging, as Trump appears to be telling him, having got no sensible answer out of Prayuth re the election date.

Prayut is not regarded as a parliamentary leader by western countries and has been told many times to stop pretending he is one.

14 minutes ago, Artisi said:

there might just be someone out there with the necessary tackle to shout vive le Thailand

Stirring words, Artisi, but it's looking increasingly unlikely that an 'out there' person will appear. You needn't be Thai to shout 'vive le Thailand', so why not check your tackle, front up and get shouting? I'll lend you a tuk-tuk, c/w public address system and a tee to rest your gonads on, too.

4 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Prayut is not regarded as a parliamentary leader by western countries

OK, I'm with you so far but, regarding the following . . .

5 minutes ago, chainarong said:

and has been told many times to stop pretending he is one.

. . . exactly who told Prayuth this home-truth and when is he/her due out of attitude adjustment?

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Not quietly enough it would seem. Amazing that they thought they could stop the election scheduled for next month and that no one would notice or care. I suspect the outcry and protests will start to grow in number, the longer this debacle continues.

Switch the light off, it won't go far in the dark.

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Wow. Never saw this coming.

I enjoy watching all of this. I’m curious to see just how much crap the Thais will take before they’ve had enough. All of this is in their hands.

Well.....they've seemingly have had enough for several decades and nothing has come of it. 

Knowledgeable perspectives will vary - 

How repressed are Thais? 

And how much of this falsehood is perpetuated greatly?

39 minutes ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

This ongoing debacle might spark violent civil unrest.

It is playing right into the hands of the corrupt Shinawatra Clan who must be popping champagne corks and singing Happy Days Are Here Again.

A thoroughly clean slate is required. 

19 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

A thoroughly clean slate is required. 

Assuming you mean one of those big ceiling to floor jobbies, there'll be so many items needing bullet-pointing on it. I think I'll put in for that job if it comes up.

1 hour ago, chainarong said:

Prayut is not regarded as a parliamentary leader by western countries and has been told many times to stop pretending he is one.

He couldn't give .... RATS about it ( <- to put it mildly this way due to forums rules)

2 hours ago, Ossy said:

At first I wondered which cretin in the picture you were referring to.

Archived