Jump to content
BANGKOK
MiKT

noise "wow"kite flying problem

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

 

Hell, even I'd complain about that one...

 

SShh!  I have a  good  friend  who is  a Scots Piper.

But I  really  like the  Oirish  modern  pipes. At least they  can not  take it outside  the Pub so easy ! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

As an "noise" issue  do you feel it is appropriate to  object  to a sound that annoys you  any more than the other excesses common in Thailand? Have you established  a communal consensus  of support in your objection to a  traditional activity? Or perhaps even the  distressing sound of  babies incessantly  crying?

Scottish  bagpipe music  that  lasts  more  than 2  minutes? Kareoke singers  who  have  no chance in hell of qualifying  in any  competition  but insist  on grinding out  a  sound that could  break rocks  or  glass  depending on which random pitch they  accomplish at any moment?

So what is that  whining  sound I hear?

 

Well, if you had really assimilated my post, you would have noted that my resort is just across the road from the new international race track in Buri Ram, so it can be very, very noisy, even all night races and the frequent concerts at the track and football stadium, not to mention the monks next door loudspeakers and the local village news loudspeakers that open at 5AM.  I have no problem with any of that, only the constant, certainly not traditional, noise of highly tensioned plastic strips being tortured all night.

NB I would have no problem with Traditional bagpipes all night, or a nice traditional "Korn" or even traditional drums, they will not be hovering over my head.

 

After 8 kids the sound of babies crying is  "what noise"

 

NB (again) Thailand has a traditional cure for Kareoke singers, just check with the dentists association.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

As an "noise" issue  do you feel it is appropriate to  object  to a sound that annoys you  any more than the other excesses common in Thailand? Have you established  a communal consensus  of support in your objection to a  traditional activity? Or perhaps even the  distressing sound of  babies incessantly  crying?

Scottish  bagpipe music  that  lasts  more  than 2  minutes? Kareoke singers  who  have  no chance in hell of qualifying  in any  competition  but insist  on grinding out  a  sound that could  break rocks  or  glass  depending on which random pitch they  accomplish at any moment?

So what is that  whining  sound I hear?

 

The noise goes all night, you would complain as well. I have kits around here, too. But they are barely audible. When I heard them the first time, I actually though: now it got me too, I hear voices! As my wife did not hear them ... but one day she could and explained. those are kites. We have some that basically play a melody, kind of "pentatonic sounds" ... so it is actually very pleasant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Enki said:

The noise goes all night, you would complain as well. I have kits around here, too. But they are barely audible. When I heard them the first time, I actually though: now it got me too, I hear voices! As my wife did not hear them ... but one day she could and explained. those are kites. We have some that basically play a melody, kind of "pentatonic sounds" ... so it is actually very pleasant.

I actually do understand what you  say. I hear "Music " in the sound  from  kites. Not here  but in Indonesia  where  are  probably  more  prolific  at times  than in Thailand. How  can I  object  to  a  cultural  phenonemon that is not mine simply  because I  reside  in  it??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, point is: here they make music, not just wow wow wow ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 10:15 PM, Enki said:

Well, point is: here they make music, not just wow wow wow ...

music would be good and as I have said earlier, their is nothing cultural about torturing plastic strips.

 

Anyway, it is not just me, other members of my family and other nearby residents also object to the noises caused by a selfish few (read mostly one person) who puts up his noisy kites in the late evening and then goes home a long way away. He can get no pleasure from that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MiKT,

I'm really sorry for you. - All the best for the future.
 
Replacing 'kite' with 'dog' I might tell you a very similar story.
For some reason the former policeman wants to annoy you.
Stay away from this man and from his kite.
 
You probably can't do anything at all.  I don't see a good way.
So: move or try to endure it.
Sometimes a short vacation might help...
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortunate for you, it appears to be superstition that if the kite is flew overnight will result in good harvest, there has been cases reported where police were called to bring down noisy kites to the chargrin and surprise of locals  sentiments seem to be that these kite sounds are a feature of Isan winter/dry season so unless your neighbour supports you, getting authorithy involved would single you out as the weird one out. 

 

Maybe after a couple of times where his kite mysteriously flew away, he'll learn to go fly ite somewhere else  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As kids we flew fighting kites . there were many different types but the best ones were the triangular shape ones because they were very maneuverable/

Image result for kite razor blades

for he tail we would take a piece of paper roll it up and cut it lengthwise to two inches from the top,it would effectively make like handlebar tassels 

image.jpeg.68d6f7d41b3f023165e8eba369c8c776.jpeg 

These tassels would be infused with double sided razor blades, and the tail consisted of these tales lied to a string every 6 or 7 inches.

Maneuver your kite in the vicinity of the other kite and keep jerking the line maling the kite flu left and right , trust me you will find his line.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 12:18 AM, sirineou said:

As kids we flew fighting kites . there were many different types but the best ones were the triangular shape ones because they were very maneuverable/

Image result for kite razor blades

for he tail we would take a piece of paper roll it up and cut it lengthwise to two inches from the top,it would effectively make like handlebar tassels 

image.jpeg.68d6f7d41b3f023165e8eba369c8c776.jpeg 

These tassels would be infused with double sided razor blades, and the tail consisted of these tales lied to a string every 6 or 7 inches.

Maneuver your kite in the vicinity of the other kite and keep jerking the line maling the kite flu left and right , trust me you will find his line.

  

Yes, I flew an ex army signalling kite used to raise radio aerials. But the locals are really big buggers and the "string" is steel cable you can't cut it with a razor blade. I don't  cut their cables, but occasionally sneak out and wind one in and cut off the "wow" strip. But since the area is infested with snakes, its not always a good idea to be walking around in the dark trying to wrestle a kite down without a winder.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 1:36 PM, Yom said:

MiKT,

I'm really sorry for you. - All the best for the future.
 
Replacing 'kite' with 'dog' I might tell you a very similar story.
For some reason the former policeman wants to annoy you.
Stay away from this man and from his kite.
 
You probably can't do anything at all.  I don't see a good way.
So: move or try to endure it.
Sometimes a short vacation might help...
 

thanks for you comments, unfortunately its not easy to move an 11 rai resort. Still I expect things to improve (in one way) as some of the open land adjacent to ours is being sold off in building plot size lots now and eventually the open area will be reduced. So they will have to go elsewhere (plenty of options)……...eventually.

 

Also this winter season I have not actually been at home in Buri Ram and only my poor sisters in law are being bothered by the noise. It seems like such a silly complaint, until you  have to endure the peculiar noise all day and all night. Would be good for physiological "keep awake" torture sessions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it's not  ' a silly complaint '.

I think it can actually be torture.

So, good luck for you and the resort in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...