Thai woman abandoned by Thai husband

GalaxyMan

My Thai girlfriend's husband abandoned her 8 years ago after a year of marriage and running up mounds of debt. Typical story. My question is what can she do to be legally divorced when she hasn't seen nor heard from him in years?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta love the misogynism so many ThaiVisa posters seem to exhibit. Not all Thai women are bar girls, whom I have nothing against. Each to their own.

Found a Thai lawyer in Lipa Noi who says that GF's case is particularly easy. He is submitting the relevant documents to the court today, says it should take about a month.

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Grounds for divorce.

This link may be helpful ...

https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/grounds-divorce.php

Specifically:

1) a 3-year period of separation

2) One spouse has deserted the other for over one year

... Etcetera

Yeah, that seems to go along with what the lawyer said. Thanks for this.

9 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Gotta love the misogynism so many ThaiVisa posters seem to exhibit. Not all Thai women are bar girls, whom I have nothing against. Each to their own.

Found a Thai lawyer in Lipa Noi who says that GF's case is particularly easy. He is submitting the relevant documents to the court today, says it should take about a month.

Sorry to ask, but how long do you know her ?

Do you think you can trust everything she says ?

I have noticed that women are better than men at acting, be careful.

7 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

GalaxyMan

Don,t forget the old saying "buyer beware" hope things work out for you though....:thumbsup:

I don't get the comments or questions about me. This has nothing to do with me other than the fact that she is my girlfriend. It took her 8 years of busting her ass to pay off all of the debt her husband saddled her with. She says, and I have no reason to disbelieve her, not that it matters, that I'm the first farang that she's ever had anything to do with on a personal level. She doesn't particularly care for farangs. She is an educated woman and has been the spa director at several of the top 5-Star resorts in Thailand. Now that she is no longer in debt and is acquiring property of her own, she doesn't want the husband to suddenly show up and try to claim anything because of his spousal rights. That's why she wants to make sure that he is legally severed from her life. Has nothing to do with me.

13 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I don't get the comments or questions about me.

I'm the first farang that she's ever had anything to do with on a personal level.

Has nothing to do with me.

She is an educated woman and has been the spa director

We're all assuming you're sleeping with another man's wife, so technically that makes you a criminal under Thai law. Anyways, white knight syndrome is always a bit of a laugh.

They all say that, even the bar girls, it's always their first week/night on the job.

It has nothing to do with you, but you're financing the divorce. That's a bit of a dichotomy.

Educated, hi-so, running her own business, etc., etc. So why are you paying the divorce bills?

Looks like you're going for every cliche in the book!

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

We're all assuming you're sleeping with another man's wife, so technically that makes you a criminal under Thai law. Anyways, white knight syndrome is always a bit of a laugh.

They all say that, even the bar girls, it's always their first week/night on the job.

It has nothing to do with you, but you're financing the divorce. That's a bit of a dichotomy.

Educated, hi-so, running her own business, etc., etc. So why are you paying the divorce bills?

You clearly have a reading comprehension issue. I've never posted anything about paying for anything. She's doing this, not me. What part of that do you not get?

22 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

You clearly have a reading comprehension issue. I've never posted anything about paying for anything. She's doing this, not me. What part of that do you not get?

Why would a foreigner be asking advice of other foreigners about a Thai woman and her Thai legal problems?

Strong independent woman running her own business, earning her own money, but can't sort out her own legal problems in her own country?

Why would she think you could help with anything apart from money?

I certainly can't think of one valid reason, unless she's hoping for some cash.

Oops, I see Samsensam has just written the same thing.

4 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

I don't get the comments or questions about me. This has nothing to do with me other than the fact that she is my girlfriend. It took her 8 years of busting her ass to pay off all of the debt her husband saddled her with. She says, and I have no reason to disbelieve her, not that it matters, that I'm the first farang that she's ever had anything to do with on a personal level. She doesn't particularly care for farangs. She is an educated woman and has been the spa director at several of the top 5-Star resorts in Thailand. Now that she is no longer in debt and is acquiring property of her own, she doesn't want the husband to suddenly show up and try to claim anything because of his spousal rights. That's why she wants to make sure that he is legally severed from her life. Has nothing to do with me.

TITV

21 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

If you feel that way I wonder why you bother to ask the question?  Many?  you ever wonder why?  Yes not all Thai women are bar girls and there are success stories but ever wonder why they are a minority people didn't wake up today and said to themselves lets get the Thais?

Good luck you will need it!

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They've always got a sob story to tell the gullible foreigner.

Thai man done me wrong ......... etc., etc.

You're supposed to give her money, not post the story on ThaiVISA.

Correct. However,IME the stories are almost always true.

21 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Sorry to ask, but how long do you know her ?

Do you think you can trust everything she says ?

I have noticed that women are better than men at acting, be careful.

IME, Thais, including women, are terrible liars, very easy to see through their juvenile lies. If you are so easily fooled by a Thai woman's lies, good luck with raising children.

TVF is great for getting advice on a DIY project or travel or food etc etc but mention there is a Thai female involved and it takes a whole different trajectory !!

My advice would be:
You have an answer on post #3 and now you have a lawyer involved you should be good to go .
So you should cut your losses and make a run for it ( outta this thread I mean not your relationship !! )

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Just now, IAMHERE said:

Oh, I so wanna see what the OP has to post this time next year. 

Yes, I'll bet you're wetting your knickers in the hope that his relationship fails.

Classic TV poster, they can't form relationships with women, so need to see others failing to justify their own inadequacies. So sad.

Happened over 8 years ago and she still hasn't figured it out ?

It's no wonder why you've got some of these replies.

Instead of taking it personally, which of course it's not, since most TV members do not know each other, you should be discussing this with her and findingout what the issue is and why she hasn't sorted this sh!t out already.

20 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

mate, my wife had similar happen to her, she married her first ever boyfriend after finishing uni , fell pregnant almost straight away and he did a runner, she then found out he was already married, he has never seen or had anything to do with his daughter. She divorced him and paid all the debts he had run up, then she wanted to use her name on the birth certificate and he made her pay 100,000 baht to do so, same again when she wanted to get a passport, fathers permission is needed in both cases. Thai males are called butterflies for a good reason, its why many thai ladies want nothing to do with them, hope things turn out well for you and your girl friend, ignore the idiots in here that only  have a life in sleezy bars and in the arms of a hooker

20 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

so an educated thai career woman didn't just ask her educated career friends, (perhaps an attorney friend), inquire within thai society/culture but apparently ask a farang to look into it on thaivisa ??   hmmmm

forgive me for being slightly cynical

23 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

I would certainly want to make sure she comes free of that debt.

Even if the wife can sort it out and didn't ask the farang for anything, I would still like to know what the procedure is just for my own peace of mind.

OP is not claiming the woman is or has asked for anything from him.

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Where did he say he is paying the divorce bill?

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

IME, Thais, including women, are terrible liars, very easy to see through their juvenile lies. If you are so easily fooled by a Thai woman's lies, good luck with raising children.

That's easy to say for you, because you have many years of experience.. But i can see on daily bases the lovey-dovey , unexperienced foreigners getting fooled by pretty women :coffee1:

Archived