Brexit: Germany says not time to discuss Article 50 extension

snoop1130

Brexit: Germany says not time to discuss Article 50 extension

gdfg.JPG

FILE PHOTO: German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas addresses an event discussing issue of '100 years of German Polish policy' in Berlin, Germany, November 15, 2018. REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch

DUBLIN (Reuters) - It is not yet the time to consider a delay to Britain’s exit from the European Union as the British parliament may come around to supporting the current deal, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Tuesday.

“I wouldn’t really want to think about the possibility of extending article 50 here and now. I don’t think this is what we ought to focus on today,” Maas told journalists during a visit to Dublin.

Maas said a no-deal Brexit “might have a negative effect on jobs in Germany and that is something that we intend to prevent at any possible cost.”

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-1-8

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of whether Brexit is a good thing or not, this bungled leaving process has turned into a national humiliation for the UK, being gleefully watched around the globe.

The main culprits are the spineless government and manipulating civil service, neither of which want to do what the referendum vote told them to do.

2 hours ago, RickBradford said:

The main culprits are the spineless government and manipulating civil service, neither of which want to do what the referendum vote told them to do.

No. The culprits are the knobs who voted leave. From the beginning, we were always going to end up in this mess no matter who did the negotiating on the British side.

Did you really think that the rest of the EU membership were going to let us leave quietly and amicably?

4 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

If we leave without a deal there will only be one loser, and its not the UK

How do you figure that? Hypothetically, if all trade stops between us and Europe, we lose all of our trade, each member country loses only 1/27th of it's trade. Do the maths, we lose out far more than any one European country. Simples!

36 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No. The culprits are the knobs who voted leave. From the beginning, we were always going to end up in this mess no matter who did the negotiating on the British side.

Did you really think that the rest of the EU membership were going to let us leave quietly and amicably?

Thankyou. And even if they did, there are such things as 'laws' and 'legal treaties' which after all these years cannot be simply undone by the stroke of a pen, even with the best will in the world.

On the assumption that the UK does eventually, one way or another, stagger through the exit door and out into the cold light of reality, I think that the 'old' [ie western] members of the EU will - despite some relatively minor damage to their economies - be glad to see the last of the Brits. Mostly more trouble than they're worth.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Germany said what?

Here's a thought: Why not express your own views in your own words, rather than engaging in a war of links? Do you need to hang around lollygagging and waiting for the next instructions from the mothership?

Applies to both sides, so I am not having a go at you personally.

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

How do you figure that? Hypothetically, if all trade stops between us and Europe, we lose all of our trade, each member country loses only 1/27th of it's trade. Do the maths, we lose out far more than any one European country. Simples!

leave voters know very little bout maths,

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It would be amusing if the EU declared the UK had to leave, change of mind or not.

It'll never happen of course, but I can dream.

Of  course , it will happen ,  drop the blade now ,  take us out , of this misery.  Hard Brexit , asap .

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It is not yet the time to consider a delay to Britain’s exit from the European Union as the British parliament may come around to supporting the current deal, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Tuesday.

well thanks for advice - you want to know where you can stick it

British affairs are for the British - see you on the other side when the UK can trade freely without interference from Brussels and Germany - your worst nightmare 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

It's not as bad as all that. It's bad, but not that bad. The EU in toto has a GDP of about 18 trillion dollars. The UK's share is about 2.6 trillion dollars. Which means that a about 14 percent of the EU's GDP belongs to the UK. This doesn't track exactly with the amount of trade between the UK and the rest of the EU but it does give a clearer idea of their relative strengths.

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

On the assumption that the UK does eventually, one way or another, stagger through the exit door and out into the cold light of reality, I think that the 'old' [ie western] members of the EU will - despite some relatively minor damage to their economies - be glad to see the last of the Brits. Mostly more trouble than they're worth.

yes we will stop buying your goods lol

if only

trade will continue between the EU and UK, if it doesn't then the EU will implode and the UK will still continue trading across Europe - win win for the UK not so sure about the EU

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

you are making a common error regarding UK trade with the EU 27, 90% of it actually only involves 6 of the 27 and those 6 rely heavily on UK trade

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

you are making a common error regarding UK trade with the EU 27, 90% of it actually only involves 6 of the 27 and those 6 rely heavily on UK trade

So, according to you the total amount of export each country sends to the UK will be greater than or equal to the total amount of exports the UK sends  all 6? I know there's something of an imbalance between the UK and the rest of the EU but what you seem to be positing is bizarrely unlikely.

Edit:     "The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports)."

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

The Maths are against you.

21 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

So, according to you the total amount of export each country sends to the UK will be greater than or equal to the total amount of exports the UK sends  all 6? I know there's something of an imbalance between the UK and the rest of the EU but what you seem to be positing is bizarrely unlikely.

Edit:     "The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports)."

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

The Maths are against you.

There are 6 major players in the EU that account for 80-90% of trade - Germany is number one the UK number two and France number three, the 22 that are hangers on contribute little, they are being used by Germany for cheap labour in return for handouts - the whole thing is sickening, there was nothing wrong with free trade (EEC) 40 years ago - that is not what we have now, we now have a political power grabbing dictatorship that is dangerous and out of control - the UK don't want any part of it

I could go on but do some research away from mainstream media - the stuff that doesn't get published or aired   

31 minutes ago, smedly said:

yes it would cause a murmur,probably 0.2%ish of GDP to the big 6 and nowt to the rest,meanwhile the UK loses 2-3% or in plain english a full blown recession.leave voters can say what they want but its the likely outcome,most MPs know it hence the change in thinking.It will take 6-12 months to kick in but it will come

1 minute ago, smedly said:

There are 6 major players in the EU that account for 80-90% of trade - Germany is number one the UK number two and France number three, the 22 that are hangers on contribute little, they are being used by Germany for cheap labour in return for handouts - the whole thing is sickening, there was nothing wrong with free trade (EEC) 40 years ago - that is not what we have now, we now have a political power grabbing dictatorship that is dangerous and out of control - the UK don't want any part of it

I could go on but do some research away from mainstream media - the stuff that doesn't get published or aired   

after brexit BMW will close its oxford plant and move to eastern europe as will nissan,toyota,jaguar all because of brexit,pretty sickening isnt it,100,000+ good jobs gone,one good thing the slovaks and pole fruit and veg pickers in lincolnshire might have to return home to build these cars,now thats what brexit was all about ???? 50000 quality low paid  jobs created.

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Maas said a no-deal Brexit “might have a negative effect on jobs in Germany and that is something that we intend to prevent at any possible cost.”

So basically isn't he saying that in the end they will indeed consider an extension? Which would be a shame for both sides actually, as would be a new referendum.

15 minutes ago, bomber said:

yes it would cause a murmur,probably 0.2%ish of GDP to the big 6 and nowt to the rest,meanwhile the UK loses 2-3% or in plain english a full blown recession.leave voters can say what they want but its the likely outcome,most MPs know it hence the change in thinking.It will take 6-12 months to kick in but it will come

Well, I ran the figures for Germany and their exports to the UK account for about 2.75 percent of GDP. So that's a considerable figure. 

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

we were always going to end up in this mess no matter who did the negotiating on the British side.

I agree, however the continued migration to the UK had to stop before it was too late to turn the clock back. 

Ignoring trade, the UK could not sustain the continual increase of migrants (note not immigrants) each year (a ticking time bomb waiting to happen)

we are creating huge ghettos of migrants in every city. schools, NHS, city councils cannot cope. child birth is higher (up to 70%) to migrants than to UK citizens in some cities

If France were to hold a referendum, it is likely, they too would pull the plug

Where my parents live, English is the second language in many of the schools

Breaks my heart to say it but better a bomb now rather than a nuclear bomb later

As far as trade is concerned there is no evidence to prove that we will suffer or prosper, only propaganda (time will tell)

My only regret is that the time to recover from this mess will take 10 years or more, if ever

PS

i am one of those Knobs

27 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

I agree, however the continued migration to the UK had to stop before it was too late to turn the clock back. 

Ignoring trade, the UK could not sustain the continual increase of migrants (note not immigrants) each year (a ticking time bomb waiting to happen)

we are creating huge ghettos of migrants in every city. schools, NHS, city councils cannot cope. child birth is higher (up to 70%) to migrants than to UK citizens in some cities

If France were to hold a referendum, it is likely, they too would pull the plug

Where my parents live, English is the second language in many of the schools

Breaks my heart to say it but better a bomb now rather than a nuclear bomb later

As far as trade is concerned there is no evidence to prove that we will suffer or prosper, only propaganda (time will tell)

My only regret is that the time to recover from this mess will take 10 years or more, if ever

PS

i am one of those Knobs

No EU nation even has a fertility rate at replacement level. Are you saying that migrants from the EU have a much higher fertility rate than the EU nations they come from?

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

No, because they are the real knobs. ????

Archived