Health insurance for expats over 65 in Thailand?

JTXR

My only advice to everyone is to be careful with the health provider you sign-up with. Under the planned new visa laws relating to health insurance only a few health insurance providers make the list at the moment (6 in total so far). Hope they add more to the list or else health insurance premiums could get expensive.

If this list doesn't change when they introduce the new laws you could be stuck with a health policy that is not recognized by the Thai Govt. Which could effect your immigration status in Thailand. Before renewing your health insurance please make sure that the health insurance provider is on the Thai Govts approved list. 

Please seek clarification from your health provider and if you are in doubt please let me know and I can put you in touch with an organization that will ensure you sign-up with the approved health insurance providers.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My only advice to everyone is to be careful with the health provider you sign-up with. Under the planned new visa laws relating to health insurance only a few health insurance providers make the list at the moment (6 in total so far). Hope they add more to the list or else health insurance premiums could get expensive.

If this list doesn't change when they introduce the new laws you could be stuck with a health policy that is not recognized by the Thai Govt. Which could effect your immigration status in Thailand. Before renewing your health insurance please make sure that the health insurance provider is on the Thai Govts approved list. 

Please seek clarification from your health provider and if you are in doubt please let me know and I can put you in touch with an organization that will ensure you sign-up with the approved health insurance providers.
Nonsense post. Do you work for one of them?

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 hours ago, hdblk said:

Nonsense post. Do you work for one of them?

Judging by his one other post, he works for a broker.

19 hours ago, hdblk said:

The "approved list" pertains only to O-X visa.

Requirements for the O-A visa (the "new law" you refer to) have not yet been issued but there have been statements to the effect that international policies will be accepted if they meet the minimum requirements.

I read with interest a comment made by a Pacific Cross representative earlier in this thread stating:

It is also correct that we reserve the right to increase a premium 25% in the event of a high claims experience.  If the claims versus premium is moderate we would hold rates the following year, and if no claims are lodged we have no claims discounts.  However that does NOT mean we would continue to increase 25% year on year every year if someone has an ongoing condition.  It would be capped after 3 years.  The very worst case is that someone has there premium loaded 25% for 3 years to recover losses on the policy.  We individually experience rate each renewal, where as most companies pool claims and have base premiums increased for everyone. 

If a premium has been loaded 25%, if the following year there is no re-occurrence in claims of the accident or illness that loading would be removed at the following renewal.

I joined Pacific in June 2015 paid 100,000 baht in premiums before having my first claim in my third year for around 70,000 baht in Feb 2018. I was then charged the 25% increase in my 2018-19 premium (which I didn't pickup), and I don't see how that was applicable under the 'high claims experience' quoted by the representative on this forum. Not only that but they have asked for another 25% extra this year 2019-20, which as I am due for a 10% no-claim discount, not having claimed anything in 2018-19, makes for a 35% increase. According to Pacific Cross as there has been no 're-occurance' any loading should be removed. All of this bias from Pacific is based on the one claim for less than premium I have paid. 

I have read through the Pacific Cross online brochure and the policy document and can't see anything about this 25% charge if you submit a claim. It may be there somewhere but it is certainly not up front as it should be.

I have a complaint in with Pacific Cross and am waiting for a reply and will report back but I believe this shouldn't be an issue. Be warned that Pacific Cross in reality doesn't match the words quoted in this thread, in my case anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Medical evacuation to your own country. Are there any such insurance plans that cover this, and this alone? I've been looking, but so far only found plans for evacuation to the nearest medical facility, and they are usually tied in with a full medical insurance plan. I'm looking at this as something separate from the new medical coverage required by the govt.

Once you start getting older, the best advice is to leave Thailand if you're 65 and eligible for Medicare in America or return to your home country to live out your final years like the UK and use the NHS or one of the advanced European/Aussie/NZ countries with proper socialized healthcare for their citizens of all ages.

If you love Thailand so much just return for short visits and buy travel insurance, or stay and die broke in Thailand. 

Thai insurance companies will not cover you for any pre existing cover they will often refuse to pay claiming your illness was based on a preexisting condition, they are basically government sanctioned criminal enterprises (even taking preventative cholesterol mediation is considered a preexisting condition because it's "blood vessel medical condition" and will refused payment for heart attack or stroke) but the covert lying Agent will never tell you this upfront.

And don't belive any English speaking insurance Agents/sales representatives they are liars and thieves and will tell you whatever they need to say to get you to enroll. They will never tell you the "special conditions" regarding the policy upfront. If you do end up enrolling  you might as well hire and retain lawyer to read the member's manual which is usually 2 inches thick and be prepared to sue for any reimbursement for most claims. There is no good solution I've found as I approach 65 and my current medical issues for medical insurance in Thailand after having a stroke in 2017 (and never being reimbursed) and a back injury in 2013 that I live in constant pain with because the surgery is cost prohibitive.

Goodby Thailand soon after I turn 65 and back to America for proper elder care medical insurance. I'm open for any suggestions but have researched the industry here for several years and found no real solution except make sure you have a million baht or more in your bank account so you can pay cash for medical care when your Thai insurance company gives you the middle finger. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:23 AM, Sheryl said:

The "approved list" pertains only to O-X visa.

Requirements for the O-A visa (the "new law" you refer to) have not yet been issued but there have been statements to the effect that international policies will be accepted if they meet the minimum requirements.

The listed companies who participate in this scheme, 5 companies listed here with links to "approved" plans; Apply for Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa

Once you start getting older, the best advice is to leave Thailand if you're 65 and eligible for Medicare in America or return to your home country to live out your final years like the UK and use the NHS or one of the advanced European/Aussie/NZ countries with proper socialized healthcare for their citizens of all ages.
If you love Thailand so much just return for short visits and buy travel insurance, or stay and die broke in Thailand. 
Thai insurance companies will not cover you for any pre existing cover they will often refuse to pay claiming your illness was based on a preexisting condition, they are basically government sanctioned criminal enterprises (even taking preventative cholesterol mediation is considered a preexisting condition because it's "blood vessel medical condition" and will refused payment for heart attack or stroke) but the covert lying Agent will never tell you this upfront.
And don't belive any English speaking insurance Agents/sales representatives they are liars and thieves and will tell you whatever they need to say to get you to enroll. They will never tell you the "special conditions" regarding the policy upfront. If you do end up enrolling  you might as well hire and retain lawyer to read the member's manual which is usually 2 inches thick and be prepared to sue for any reimbursement for most claims. There is no good solution I've found as I approach 65 and my current medical issues for medical insurance in Thailand after having a stroke in 2017 (and never being reimbursed) and a back injury in 2013 that I live in constant pain with because the surgery is cost prohibitive.
Goodby Thailand soon after I turn 65 and back to America for proper elder care medical insurance. I'm open for any suggestions but have researched the industry here for several years and found no real solution except make sure you have a million baht or more in your bank account so you can pay cash for medical care when your Thai insurance company gives you the middle finger. 
True that it's difficult to have confidence that the health insurance company will pay up. They will try to get out of it. How bad would it be if you paid premiums for years and years and then they deny the claim

Thanks for that account.

No surprise to me.

I think in your case repatriating to the US at 65 makes sense.

Some general caveats though - -

You still have to be able to afford basic living costs in the US. For people that have been away for a long time those costs could easily be a big shock.

Years ago so I'm sure its higher by now I read that the average American on Medicare still needs to spend 150k usd out of pocket lifetime on medical that isn't covered by Medicare.

Likely not for you but there is a third option. People can move to another lower cost of living expat country that offers a buy in option for retired expats into their national health care systems. Meaning waiting lists and variance of quality but no pre-existing conditions exclusions. Also having the option of paying private for some things likely much less expensive than private hospitals in Thailand. This plan might make sense for some depending on their health conditions and wealth level. In other words if you can't afford to rent a basic apartment in the US having Medicare or not might not be all that compelling.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for that account.

No surprise to me.

I think in your case repatriating to the US at 65 makes sense.

Some general caveats though - -

You still have to be able to afford basic living costs in the US. For people that have been away for a long time those costs could easily be a big shock.

Years ago so I'm sure its higher by now I read that the average American on Medicare still needs to spend 150k usd out of pocket lifetime on medical that isn't covered by Medicare.

Likely not for you but there is a third option. People can move to another lower cost of living expat country that offers a buy in option for retired expats into their national health care systems. Meaning waiting lists and variance of quality but no pre-existing conditions exclusions. Also having the option of paying private for some things likely much less expensive than private hospitals in Thailand. This plan might make sense for some depending on their health conditions and wealth level. In other words if you can't afford to rent a basic apartment in the US having Medicare or not might not be all that compelling.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Having a stroke and trying to deal with the long term costs eventually if I get worse for care is my issue, and I continue to get new medical post stroke issues every few months now. I am able to take care of myself but no Thai Ins plan will do a thing for me. I just returned from 5 months in Tulsa Oklahoma last August for a 2nd opinion on my stroke, got on a $1200 a month Obamacare plan and to was able to visit my senile elderly parents living in assisted living (my mom age 95 has since passed on but my father seems ok age 104 next month). These assisted places would bankrupt most people as these facilities are so expensive. My father had a very nice nest egg and double pension, but my horrible covert liar lawyer niese got them to assign her as the POA and she has mismanaged my father's life savings (another horror story I won't go into at this time, but I am now considering legal action against her). 

While back in America my SS paid for all my expenses including a furnished rented condo, my food and internet at a nice high rise with a pool and gym. BTW I don't recommend this area of America full or tornados and bad allergy pollen, but very nice people. I'm still looking for a nice place to consider moving to in America that's not too cold or expensive depending on if I get any inheritance and out live my father. 

6 hours ago, rainwater said:

Yep quite simple an effective and just go on tourist visa or visa exempt and forget the retirement visa drama and TM 30 etc

Married guys not so easy the poorer ones will be deep in the poo unless they can get everyone back to first world but not a cheap process

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 hours ago, rainwater said:

True that it's difficult to have confidence that the health insurance company will pay up. They will try to get out of it. How bad would it be if you paid premiums for years and years and then they deny the claim

A reputable international company will not "try to get out of it".

The entire health systems of many countries is based on having private  health insurance. Do you really think the whole population of the Netherlands, USA etc are not getting their health care paid for? That all their claims, all the time, are denied? 

Many, many TV members, myself included, have had claims paid in full over the years with no problems.

Problems do occur when people go with questionable local companies, often ones who do not primarily do health insurance -- or fail to disclose a pre-existing condition or take note of the policy terms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 4:16 PM, TonyThailand26 said:

I read with interest a comment made by a Pacific Cross representative earlier in this thread stating:

It is also correct that we reserve the right to increase a premium 25% in the event of a high claims experience.  If the claims versus premium is moderate we would hold rates the following year, and if no claims are lodged we have no claims discounts.  However that does NOT mean we would continue to increase 25% year on year every year if someone has an ongoing condition.  It would be capped after 3 years.  The very worst case is that someone has there premium loaded 25% for 3 years to recover losses on the policy.  We individually experience rate each renewal, where as most companies pool claims and have base premiums increased for everyone. 

If a premium has been loaded 25%, if the following year there is no re-occurrence in claims of the accident or illness that loading would be removed at the following renewal.

I joined Pacific in June 2015 paid 100,000 baht in premiums before having my first claim in my third year for around 70,000 baht in Feb 2018. I was then charged the 25% increase in my 2018-19 premium (which I didn't pickup), and I don't see how that was applicable under the 'high claims experience' quoted by the representative on this forum. Not only that but they have asked for another 25% extra this year 2019-20, which as I am due for a 10% no-claim discount, not having claimed anything in 2018-19, makes for a 35% increase. According to Pacific Cross as there has been no 're-occurance' any loading should be removed. All of this bias from Pacific is based on the one claim for less than premium I have paid. 

I have read through the Pacific Cross online brochure and the policy document and can't see anything about this 25% charge if you submit a claim. It may be there somewhere but it is certainly not up front as it should be.

I have a complaint in with Pacific Cross and am waiting for a reply and will report back but I believe this shouldn't be an issue. Be warned that Pacific Cross in reality doesn't match the words quoted in this thread, in my case anyway.

I have just read TonyThailand's post and it has horrified me because I am currently looking at Pacific Cross for my health insurance as the Aetna premium has gone up by 33% since last year, so I have applied to Pacific Cross to get a quote for my health insurance.

I am no spring chicken and at 71 years old will obviously find it difficult to get health insurance with someone else what with pre-existing conditions etc, but I'm quite prepared to forego those and also pay a share of any inpatient costs in order to make the premium reasonable.

One other thing that Aetna have done, which annoys the crap out of me is to refuse to accept my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card for payments on the policy (as BUPA did before) meaning that I will have to open another bank account in another bank and also apply for a Visa debit card from them, which is not easy here as expats will know.

According to all the literature I have read on Pacific Cross, it seemed to be reasonable, but reading the post above is quite frightening.

I could carry on with my Aetna policy, but at 133,000 baht per annum it is getting up there somewhat, so obviously I am looking elsewhere, but it's not too late and I can still keep this current policy if I have to.

Has anyone else had this sort of carry on with Pacific Cross or can recommend anyone else?

I have just read TonyThailand's post and it has horrified me because I am currently looking at Pacific Cross for my health insurance as the Aetna premium has gone up by 33% since last year, so I have applied to Pacific Cross to get a quote for my health insurance.

I am no spring chicken and at 71 years old will obviously find it difficult to get health insurance with someone else what with pre-existing conditions etc, but I'm quite prepared to forego those and also pay a share of any inpatient costs in order to make the premium reasonable.

One other thing that Aetna have done, which annoys the crap out of me is to refuse to accept my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card for payments on the policy (as BUPA did before) meaning that I will have to open another bank account in another bank and also apply for a Visa debit card from them, which is not easy here as expats will know.

According to all the literature I have read on Pacific Cross, it seemed to be reasonable, but reading the post above is quite frightening.

I could carry on with my Aetna policy, but at 133,000 baht per annum it is getting up there somewhat, so obviously I am looking elsewhere, but it's not too late and I can still keep this current policy if I have to.

Has anyone else had this sort of carry on with Pacific Cross or can recommend anyone else?
Befire suggesting options I would need an idea re the nature of your pre existing conditions

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Befire suggesting options I would need an idea re the nature of your pre existing conditions

Thanks Sheryl and I certainly don't mind posting them here, so here goes for the record (I am 71)...........

I had a TURP in 2008 and a bladder neck incision a couple of years ago. 

I had prostatitis for years but since my TURP that has disappeared.

In 2004 I had a gastroscopy which showed I had GERD with the possibility of the start of Barrett's oesophagus (both the surgeon and my doctor were unsure as it wasn't clear) however I was put on omeprazole for a couple of years and then I stopped taking them and about four years ago back in NZ I had another check done and there was absolutely nothing showing in my oesophagus, much to the surprise and delight of the doctor and surgeon.

I did go to hospital about two months ago for a bout of pneumonia, which is the first time I've ever had it in my life.

I have just had a full and thorough medical and my kidney and liver function tests are fine; my PSA score is 1.19 (and that hasn't varied much for years); chest and abdomen x-rays and ultrasounds show nothing of any concern and I had a Calcium Score test done on my heart and on my major arteries via CT and the result is a big fat ZERO.

I had a heart stress test done about four years ago and the doctor was extremely pleased suggesting that I had arteries of a 50-year-old!

I did see a dermatologist about an allergy/rash a few months back and although that has subsided quite markedly, it still comes back from time to time, but cannot identify the cause.

I have regular health checks here and when I go back to NZ my doctor also does one for me.

I was always very fit and healthy and played a sport up until the age of about 65.

I am not on any medications whatsoever.

That's about all I can remember, and I may add that I am prepared to forego inclusion/cover of any previous ailments, within reason, and I only want in-patient cover, and I am prepared to pay the first 20,000/40,000 of any inpatient costs.

I thought that I would be okay with Pacific Cross, however having seen the post I commented on, I'm not quite so sure I want that type of company covering my health needs.

The main reason for not going with Pacific Cross was the ability to increase 25% (according to some person they will increase as soon your claim is higher than the Insurance Premiums, which is lower than what you pay per year, as some parts of it are not for Insurance as they are for Office works and other stuffs).

So this then lead me to think about my Insurance and I was going to Cigna Silver (Not Cigna Thailand). 

I think if you want be on the more secure site you should try Cigna or April International if you still able to go for it age wise.

Additional note with Cigna it's possible to take exclusions away after some Time. In the case of my wife the took away a pre-existing condition in the second year as there was not change in the condition. So can't complain so far!

Thanks Sheryl and I certainly don't mind posting them here, so here goes for the record (I am 71)...........

I had a TURP in 2008 and a bladder neck incision a couple of years ago. 

I had prostatitis for years but since my TURP that has disappeared.

In 2004 I had a gastroscopy which showed I had GERD with the possibility of the start of Barrett's oesophagus (both the surgeon and my doctor were unsure as it wasn't clear) however I was put on omeprazole for a couple of years and then I stopped taking them and about four years ago back in NZ I had another check done and there was absolutely nothing showing in my oesophagus, much to the surprise and delight of the doctor and surgeon.

I did go to hospital about two months ago for a bout of pneumonia, which is the first time I've ever had it in my life.

I have just had a full and thorough medical and my kidney and liver function tests are fine; my PSA score is 1.19 (and that hasn't varied much for years); chest and abdomen x-rays and ultrasounds show nothing of any concern and I had a Calcium Score test done on my heart and on my major arteries via CT and the result is a big fat ZERO.

I had a heart stress test done about four years ago and the doctor was extremely pleased suggesting that I had arteries of a 50-year-old!

I did see a dermatologist about an allergy/rash a few months back and although that has subsided quite markedly, it still comes back from time to time, but cannot identify the cause.

I have regular health checks here and when I go back to NZ my doctor also does one for me.

I was always very fit and healthy and played a sport up until the age of about 65.

I am not on any medications whatsoever.

That's about all I can remember, and I may add that I am prepared to forego inclusion/cover of any previous ailments, within reason, and I only want in-patient cover, and I am prepared to pay the first 20,000/40,000 of any inpatient costs.

I thought that I would be okay with Pacific Cross, however having seen the post I commented on, I'm not quite so sure I want that type of company covering my health needs.
From what you say thr only reasonable exclusion would be for diseases of the prostate. Ideally only for BPH and not all prostate problems but that may be hard.

I suggest you apply to Cigna Global, April Global and Pacific Cross and see what they each come back with. Also suggest you do this through a broker.

In my experience insurance underwriters differ enormously in how they handle the exact same information on medical history.

You will likely be asked for more info on the prostate after you submit the form. Provide as much detail and supporting documentation as you can.

Until you get a insurance company's offer there is really no way to know how they will treat your history.

Not sure re Pacific Cross but Cigna and April both offer deductible options which lower premiums.

Re the raising of premiums based on claims, Cigna and April will not do this (cannot do this). PC can and will if the claim is large. Very good chance so will Aetna Thailand, so check the wording on your current policy carefully.

Then once you have all info you can decide between the 4 options taking all factors into account.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:
My wife is insistent on having a local one.  

What's the logic of that? good luck with that one

Sitting at the hospital and wondering about coverage called the local agent and she advised how to proceed as she was familiar with the hospital and doctors because she was local.  It was good luck that she was local.

14 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

And your local broker understands policies of international insurers? Obtains competing offers ably comparing them?

I'm in the process of finding out right now as I'm increasing my coverage to conform to the new rumors I've read here.  

29 minutes ago, THAIPHUKET said:

suspense is killing me !

I have AIA and I'm changing to a more comprehensive policy and I don't think it will require a physical - I'll know in a few days and be sure when I pay them on my anniversary date in August.  Thanks for the concern it warms the cockles of my heart.  Yous guys are insurance agents, right?

Archived