UK PM May defeated in parliament, lawmakers create new obstacle to no-deal Brexit

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yes I know that, but in the UK it's called a beefburger.

Although it was named after the city of Hamburg, the term "hamburger" was first used in the US.

I thought it was JFK that coined the phrase, "ich bin ein Hamburger" ????

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m also wondering what this actually means now for the UK. I might be wrong but my understanding is that 29 March has been set in stone on both sides and it is highly unlikely that parliament would vote to change the law that says the UK has to leave the EU. Assuming that this recent move will not pressure too many MPs into voting for May’s deal, doesn’t this mean that a no-deal Brexit will become even more severe?

Why would it be highly unlikely that parliament amends the current law stipulating Brexit in 29/3?

I don't think I understand the implications of the amendment referred to in the OP.

Anyway

I read in the Telegraph the other day that Cooper&Co is working on an amendment to the Finance act that would prevent the government from spending money on preparing for a potential no-deal Brexit, unless explicitly permitted by parliament. Such would surely make a no-deal Brexit harder, should it happen.

Not sure that the above mentioned amendment is sound and wise

but at least it is good to see that the parliament is able to get its act together

and make some decisions re Brexit.

One of the very few, if not the first, parliament does smth re Brexit since A50 was triggered.

Couple of more performances like that and I might

start to believe in Grouse's repeat commercial that Parliament is sovereign.

Haven't seen much of that over the past 2 years, alas.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

News feeds are international, the use of the term ’Law Makers’ is widely understood as the ‘equivalent’ of ‘MP’s’, ‘Members of Congress’ etc.

You yourself understood who the term refers to, as did everyone else.

Focus on the good news.

Parliament exercising its sovereignty and halting rule by executive order.

that's called democracy

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The 303 to 296 defeat means that the government needs explicit parliamentary approval to leave the EU without a deal before it can use certain powers relating to taxation law.

Good to see parliament doing it's job.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Yvette Cooper isn't a lawmaker, she's an MP. What's with the lawmakers? Where did that crap come from? Did it float across the Atlantic like a turd? We've had MPs in the UK for hundreds of years, why the sudden change?

the job being the same they can and will be called or referred to by different names by different countries, depending on the English word translated to such countries..... England is not the world, it's just an island 55555

This vote was on a fairly minor issues re. tax powers in the event of no deal. The government has other ways to get funds so the vote in itself is not critical.

However, what it does do is show that Parliament "could" try and sabotage the Brexit process if they don't get what they want. Personally I think that would be a very dangerous course of action. The majority voted for leave, not for a "deal" so if Parliament tries to block a no-deal Brexit with more votes like this (e.g. they could block the trade bill) then things could get extremely messy.

Leaving the EU has been legislated and No Deal is the default position if May's deal is rejected. Trying to sabotage the process with these type of votes would cause massive issues.   

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Not in the English English language. She's an MP. This term has recently migrated over from the US. Ergo, US English. Hamburgers I can accept, lawmaker is a bridge too far.

just curious, please enlighten me, who makes or passes the laws in England, PM? Queen?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Yes I know that, but in the UK it's called a beefburger.

Although it was named after the city of Hamburg, the term "hamburger" was first used in the US.

ohhh I get it,.... it was invented in the city of BEEF

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

No wet trousers yet. Got news this morning that makes it look like I'm going to have to pack a bag and fly up to Nong Khai, in the next few days, to bounce some dirty paedophile out of his baan. I don't need this.

Some newsfeed perverting my language was the last straw.

take 3 deep breaths, relax, it will go away soon

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This vote was on a fairly minor issues re. tax powers in the event of no deal. The government has other ways to get funds so the vote in itself is not critical.

However, what it does do is show that Parliament "could" try and sabotage the Brexit process if they don't get what they want. Personally I think that would be a very dangerous course of action. The majority voted for leave, not for a "deal" so if Parliament tries to block a no-deal Brexit with more votes like this (e.g. they could block the trade bill) then things could get extremely messy.

Leaving the EU has been legislated and No Deal is the default position if May's deal is rejected. Trying to sabotage the process with these type of votes would cause massive issues.   

Trying to sabotage the process with these type of votes would cause massive issues. 

Unspecified ‘massive issues’ v wrecking the economy.

A question re making laws MPs etc.

PM May is also an elected MP, as most, if not all, of her cabinet ministers.

While these guys serve as PM/minister can they still take part in the

parliament's dealing and vote etc

or are they on temporary "leave of absence"

and their seats in parliament filled by "step ins"/temps?

1 minute ago, David in the north said:

Rubbish.
Trying to over rule a democratic vote will cause many problems in the UK - regardless of what your view point was or is

Sounds more like the angry and very vocal mob of 5-7% of the UK population wishes people to think in that way. Meanwhile most of the people would be just fine with revoking A50.

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Sounds more like the angry and very vocal mob of 5-7% of the UK population wishes people to think in that way. Meanwhile most of the people would be just fine with revoking A50.

Do you have the percentage range for your "most of the people" too?

And please add a linki, Linki.

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

It wouldn't have any consequences whatsoever - a few angry letters to the Guardian and the UK can get on with forgetting about the Brexit madness!

It wouldn't be the first democracy to either have a second vote or change its mind. I think the silent majority, whether Leave or Remain, is sick of the whole thing, and probably realizes the glorious Brexit once envisaged isn't going to happen.  Broadly speaking, we can say the electorate would like Brexit but don't want to pay for it- common sense sanity really!

Archived