Six migrants held for using eight young children to beg in Pattaya

webfact

Six migrants held for using eight young children to beg in Pattaya

By The Nation

562000000281501.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

In a crackdown on Tuesday night, Pattaya police arrested six migrants and rescued eight children after a Facebook page alerted them that a woman might be using a baby for begging.

Pol Capt Chainarong Chai-in, deputy inspector of Pattaya Police Station, led a team of police officers to join forces with officials from a homeless centre and a home for juveniles in Chon Buri to check the roads of Pattaya for beggars on Tuesday evening.

At 8.30pm, Chainarong announced that five migrant women and a migrant man were found begging along with eight children. The youngest child is just a year old.

The police inspector added that the six adults were fined and their DNA samples taken to compare with that of the children. If DNA tests show the children are not related to the migrants, then they will also face human-trafficking charges.

The crackdown was launched after Sunantha Saenthep, 29, posted a video clip of a woman, who appeared to be about 20 to 25 years old, carrying a one-month-old baby and begging on a Pattaya street.

Sunantha said she took the video clip and tried to talk to the woman to see if she could seek help for her, but the woman refused to talk and walked away. Sunantha raised the issue because she said she was concerned the woman might be using someone else’s baby to beg for money.

Officials also looked for the woman in the video clip, but failed to find her.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361892

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-09

These are "rented" beggars by some mafia that brings them in, children, cripples, old and haggard to beg on the streets of Thailand, been going on for years, as soon a truckload is deported, a new batch comes in, thanks to the boys ate the borders...

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

In a crackdown on Tuesday night, Pattaya police arrested six migrants and rescued eight children

In plain English: On Tuesday the Pattaya police decided to do the job they're paid to do, just for one day.

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

If DNA tests show the children are not related to the migrants, then they will also face human-trafficking charges.

I wonder how long it takes DNA test results to come back?

Other reports I've seen seem to indicate a couple of weeks. Is that another case of staff not having to work too hard, or are they genuinely under-resourced?

In the meantime I assume all those arrested will be detained by the police.

17 minutes ago, ezzra said:

These are "rented" beggars by some mafia that brings them in, children, cripples, old and haggard to beg on the streets of Thailand, been going on for years, as soon a truckload is deported, a new batch comes in, thanks to the boys ate the borders...

I even read stories (long ago) that those gangs break the legs of the children used for begging so they won't run away and get more money. It's about time this is getting stopped. Also they block the walkway while begging and brings shoppers into a sad mood.

I even read stories (long ago) that those gangs break the legs of the children used for begging so they won't run away and get more money. It's about time this is getting stopped. Also they block the walkway while begging and brings shoppers into a sad mood.

So retail therapy doesn't work then? Always brings a smile to my wife's face.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I remember more than fifteen years ago on Pattaya Second Road, seeing an old woman with no legs and part of one arm missing. She was there begging every day.

Towards dusk a guy with a handcart came along and lifted her into it. He pushed the cart away with her inside. Never knew if that was part of a gang (Thai or otherwise), or if perhaps it could have been someone who genuinely took care of her?

Yes, I know it's a misprit: 'boys ate the borders' so assume it's 'boys at the borders', rather than the cannibalistic alternative: 'boys ate the boarders'

(sorry!)

48 minutes ago, mok199 said:

The food chain , it ain't pretty ,even worse in Phillipines as gangs of orphaned children run wild ,swarming foreingers for food and money ,most sniffing glue supplied by their pimps....

It'll be like that in parts of the UK soon the way things are going! They're already nicking tubes of Super Glue and Uhu out of the Poundshops.

It's not only migrants who exploit children. A large percentage of Thai women flower sellers, surely not very poor, ply their trade late into the night using children as 'emotional bait' I never buy flowers. Any Thai bargirl would opt for the money for sure. I say, at risk, "that baby should be in bed" Don't buy from them. 

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

In plain English: On Tuesday the Pattaya police decided to do the job they're paid to do, just for one day.

I wonder how long it takes DNA test results to come back?

Other reports I've seen seem to indicate a couple of weeks. Is that another case of staff not having to work too hard, or are they genuinely under-resourced?

In the meantime I assume all those arrested will be detained by the police.

Send it to Khao Tao where it can be done almost immediately by the local police.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It took a Facebook page? I struggle to remember a time I have walked down 2nd Rd and NOT seen a woman squatting with a lolling baby scrounging. 

Get the guy who drops them off in a pickup!

seldom seen these days.......what about the old guy with amputated legs.. he has an expensive mbike with sidecart, parked down the road from his wheelchair...

i usually donate to those with major amputations, especially the guy who slides around on his buttocks..

its hard to know how genuine they are- either way-- 20 bahts is nothing for me--can feed them for a .day.

i often give 100baht to amputees....

9 minutes ago, murraynz said:

seldom seen these days.......what about the old guy with amputated legs.. he has an expensive mbike with sidecart, parked down the road from his wheelchair...

i usually donate to those with major amputations, especially the guy who slides around on his buttocks..

its hard to know how genuine they are- either way-- 20 bahts is nothing for me--can feed them for a .day.

i often give 100baht to amputees....

He can still be seen on Walking St (ironic) in his hand powered wheelchair. He used to hang around 13/1 and 13/2 and Pattayaland many years ago. Not seen 'The Slug' for a while either, maybe saw him a couple of months back.  But the women with the kids, many of them, still see those regularly and in the past saw them being dropped off. I am afraid I am very cynical wrt these beggars.

Once I came across a well dressed Thai woman with a Toyota and  3 kids on  Jomtien beach , early morning ,  two were well dressed and one was absolutely filthy , she stopped her 2 kids from playing to close  with the little  girl . I eventually figured that she was hiding the girl while some sort of police raid was going on .

Horrible people .

Archived