Trump demands U.S. border wall, sidesteps declaring emergency

webfact

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

you don't seem to be able to differentiate between a concrete wall and a metaphorical one.

" An episode of a 1950s TV series called “Trackdown” is getting a fresh look — make that a double-take — because it tells of a con man named Walter Trump who rolls into town with an ominous warning. Everyone in the town will die unless they let him build a protective wall, Trump scares the townsfolk in an episode called “The End of the World. Trump: “I am the only one. Trust me. I can build a wall around your homes that nothing will penetrate.”

https://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/article224233450.html

https://youtu.be/h1D2ynASqe4

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray Charles posed the great existential question "What I Say?"

"When during the campaign I would say ‘Mexico is going to pay for it,’ obviously, I never said this, and I never meant they're going to write out a check," Trump told reporters. "I said they're going to pay for it. They are."

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/jan/10/donald-trump/trump-claims-he-never-meant-mexico-would-write-che/

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

“If you have a wall this thick and it’s solid concrete from ground to 32 feet high, which is a high wall, much higher than people planned. You go 32 feet up and you don’t know who’s over here. You’re here, you’ve got the wall and there’s some other people here.” — Interview with The Wall Street Journal

I think that calls for a graphical humor break --

nut.jpg.80bd7e54275998bf12378a41ea39580c.jpg

5 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Are you under the impression that the citizens of the USA are soldiers and that Trump is their Commander-in-Chief? 

I just think as I believe the rest of the world does also that USA politics is the greatest lot of crapp ever seen in recent times (Crapp invented the flushing toilet, often referred to in Aus as the crapper).  Every time some politician farts in the USA my retirement fund drops about 5%.  I would like to ignore it but I have to observe it, it affects me.  Too many politicians.  You know in Australia we have 9 law enforcement agencies, one in each state and one for each of the 2 the territories and one to cover the country AFP. Australian Federal Police. In the USA you have 18,000 law enforcement agencies.  A complete and utter disgrace. 

Yes, as far as I know, soldiers in The USA are Citizens of the USA as they have to be in Australia if they want to join want to join the Australian Defense Forces.  Us soldiers are there to defend the country just let them do the job...get on with it.  I can't say I like Trump but you have given him the job of President and supreme commander of your defense forces and will be for the next 2 years.  Just let him do the job.

3 hours ago, David Walden said:

I just think as I believe the rest of the world does also that USA politics is the greatest lot of crapp ever seen in recent times (Crapp invented the flushing toilet, often referred to in Aus as the crapper).  Every time some politician farts in the USA my retirement fund drops about 5%.  I would like to ignore it but I have to observe it, it affects me.  Too many politicians.  You know in Australia we have 9 law enforcement agencies, one in each state and one for each of the 2 the territories and one to cover the country AFP. Australian Federal Police. In the USA you have 18,000 law enforcement agencies.  A complete and utter disgrace. 

Yes, as far as I know, soldiers in The USA are Citizens of the USA as they have to be in Australia if they want to join want to join the Australian Defense Forces.  Us soldiers are there to defend the country just let them do the job...get on with it.  I can't say I like Trump but you have given him the job of President and supreme commander of your defense forces and will be for the next 2 years.  Just let him do the job.

I got news for you. It isn't the job of soldiers to police the borders. In fact they are prohibited by law from doing so. And Trump is the President, not the Generalissimo.

*Messed up quote edited out*

Off topic, but no you do not have to be a citizen, can be a Permanent Resident with intent to be a citizen within three months of joining or in US a Green Card holder

I have edited one post with a messed up quote and removed replies to it.   It does happen that quotes get attributed to the wrong poster.   Please feel free to report the posts.   We can remove or edit the quote out.  

5 hours ago, bristolboy said:

I got news for you. It isn't the job of soldiers to police the borders. In fact they are prohibited by law from doing so. And Trump is the President, not the Generalissimo.

Therein lies the problem.  With your 18,000 law enforcement agencies you still do not know how to police or defend your borders.  You have probably spent a 100 billion dollars arguing over the politics of the matter when 10 billion dollars would have fixed the problem (with some reservations).

On 1/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, bristolboy said:

Such nonsense. Uncontrolled? Really? If it were in fact uncontrolled then there would be millions crossing over the southern border. If it were uncontrolled, why do would-be illegal immigrants pay $10,000 to get help in getting over that border?

Another one blinded by politics.

23 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Therein lies the problem.  With your 18,000 law enforcement agencies you still do not know how to police or defend your borders.  You have probably spent a 100 billion dollars arguing over the politics of the matter when 10 billion dollars would have fixed the problem (with some reservations).

Well the people who do know how to defend their borders are the North Koreans and the Israelis. The North Koreans can do it because they are a totalitarian state. The Israelis can do it because they face a genuine threat to their lives if they don't pour huge resources into defending their borders and the Israeli people overwhelmingly support it. Keep in mind that both of those nations have the draft and can conscript as many soldiers as they need into patrolling their borders.

Up to now the US isn't a totalitarian state, doesn't have the draft,  and only a minority of Americans support building that wall which in itself would be ineffective without continued massive funding for the human resources to support it.

And no one, not even the completely clueless, not even Trump, contend that 10 billion dollars would solve the problem. You don't have much use for facts, do you?

On 1/10/2019 at 4:38 PM, spidermike007 said:

We might get a fence, but we will never get the impenetrable metal barrier Trump loves to rant on and on about, during his campaign. It would cost $40 to $70 billion. All it takes is a tunnel, which is so easy to create, so even if we had that mythical wall, it would barely stop the flow. The illegal immigrants would get in with or without a wall. And the terrorists all come by sea or air. Maybe we can build a cage around the entire country? 

The presidency is the last job in the world I would want. I am not sure if there is any amount of money they could pay me, that would compel me to take that most horrendous of jobs. I think the only people that are attracted to that job (these days) are the megalomaniacs and fame hungry (Trump), those that love to wield real power (Clinton, Eisenhower, Nixon), those that are deluded into thinking they really have something to offer (Trump, Bush Jr.) and those that are idealists (Carter, Lincoln?, and a few others from the long forgotten past). Nobody of nobility, grace, elegance, vision, or integrity would seek the job at this stage. The days of the Bill Bradley and Bill Richardson types are long past. 

Spidermike   I give you 9.5 out of 10.  You must mostly be correct because your opinions are much like mine.   There must be a hundred different ways of stopping illegals without shooting them, although shooting people in USA is still a very popular pastime

6 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Spidermike   I give you 9.5 out of 10.  You must mostly be correct because your opinions are much like mine.   There must be a hundred different ways of stopping illegals without shooting them, although shooting people in USA is still a very popular pastime

There are ways of stopping illegals and they are being stopped. If the threat of being stopped wasn't real enough, do you think that they would be paying what is for them big bucks to bypass those obstacles? It's just that spending the money that it would take to impose a near 100% blockage isn't worth it. Most studies of illegal immigrants show that they contribute much more to the economy than they cost it. Of course, if you want to take the kind of measures to put a stop it most if it, that plus turns into a minus pretty quickly.

14 hours ago, bristolboy said:

There are ways of stopping illegals and they are being stopped. If the threat of being stopped wasn't real enough, do you think that they would be paying what is for them big bucks to bypass those obstacles? It's just that spending the money that it would take to impose a near 100% blockage isn't worth it. Most studies of illegal immigrants show that they contribute much more to the economy than they cost it. Of course, if you want to take the kind of measures to put a stop it most if it, that plus turns into a minus pretty quickly.

Excuse me I thought these posts and were about the escalating numbers of illegal aliens trying to enter the USA.  In order to support your case are you suggesting that the number has already declined significantly and that everyone who has an opinion in regard to this escalating situation is wrong?  Well if so that is a turn up if you are correct.   Where do get off? It is very very clear that the number of illegal entries to the USA is increasing.  The wall may not be the perfect solution however it may be the beginning of a solution. It may need a bit of spit and polish. and a few reviews, that's where the military should be involved. They are the guardians of your borders.  Give them a go and support them and forget the politics.  This situation is real, get on with it.  You are fighting a war.

43 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Excuse me I thought these posts and were about the escalating numbers of illegal aliens trying to enter the USA.  In order to support your case are you suggesting that the number has already declined significantly and that everyone who has an opinion in regard to this escalating situation is wrong?  Well if so that is a turn up if you are correct.   Where do get off? It is very very clear that the number of illegal entries to the USA is increasing.  The wall may not be the perfect solution however it may be the beginning of a solution. It may need a bit of spit and polish. and a few reviews, that's where the military should be involved. They are the guardians of your borders.  Give them a go and support them and forget the politics.  This situation is real, get on with it.  You are fighting a war.

Please don't print unsubstantiated information.   The number of undocumented people in the US has dropped.  Here's one link on the matter:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/us/illegal-immigrants-population-study.html

Several other researchers on the matter also substantiate a drop:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/28/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

And here's some more on the issue:

DHS estimated that the growth of the illegal immigrant population had slowed considerably, saying the population increased by 470,000 per year from 2000 to 2007, but only by 70,000 per year from 2010 to 2015.

CMS found a decline in the undocumented population, and specifically those from Mexico, of about 1 million since 2010. And the Pew Research Center found a peak of 12.2 million in the population in 2007, and a decline since.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/06/illegal-immigration-statistics/

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

No, it isn't a war. Where did you get such a daft idea? 

Another scam by scammy Trump inspired promoters that, after a lot of publicity, is coming to nothing.

However, the headline does give a bit of a misleading impression, in that the backers of this won't have to refund ALL the contributions. Apparently, if a contributor specifically contacts them and specifically says they can keep the money for whatever next step they're planning, then they can.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/11/wall-gofundme-trump-border-wall-brian-kolfage/

Kolfage claims that he has formed an advisory board that features war privatization enthusiast and brother of the Secretary of Education Erik Prince and the also ethically questionable former Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who lost his race this past November.

While Kolfage might be in good company, it sounds like GoFundMe will be automatically handing back every bit of the $20 million he raised before getting called out for changing the terms of the campaign. Donors who still want their money to go to Kolfage will need to opt in specifically.

Archived