Mystery death of French woman found floating in Samui: Police looking for motorbike

webfact

Mystery death of French woman found floating in Samui: Police looking for motorbike

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Mystery surrounds the death of a 42 year old French woman who was studying at a language school on Koh Samui. She was found floating in the sea with a head injury after apparently going for a trip to a waterfall on her motorcycle.

Staff from a hotel on Thong Kate Bay saw the body of the woman floating offshore around midday yesterday and alerted the authorities. 

By the time Bo Phut police had arrived the body of Isabel Baillee (name transliterated from Thai and possibly incorrect) had been brought ashore in a boat. 

The forty two year old was wearing a white shirt and jeans shorts.

She had a fracture to her forehead and bruising and had been dead about two to three hours.

Her friend Natalie was soon on the scene having heard the news. 

She said that she had been staying with Isabel for two years. Isabel was not yet working and had been studying language at a school on Samui, reported Sanook. 

She had left their place at 9 am on her motorcycle saying she was going to visit a waterfall. That was the last she saw of her.

She added that Isabel had had some problems with her family but she was not exactly sure what. 

Police are looking for the motorcycle to help them with their inquiries. 

No conclusions have yet been made as to what happened.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-09

Just now, roo860 said:

Twas a tongue in cheek comment.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry missed that one some people love to comment on the Thai police as incompetent (and they often are) but in this case it just sounded like the right thing to do.

Anyway sorry hard to get someones meaning at times. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

She was found floating in the sea with a head injury after apparently going for a trip to a waterfall on her motorcycle.

Are there waterfalls close to the sea in Samui ?

I don't think so ;

so finding the motorbike will help for sure.

Maybe it's a murder..if they find the motorbike far inside Samui ..

23 hours ago, robblok said:

Sorry missed that one some people love to comment on the Thai police as incompetent (and they often are) but in this case it just sounded like the right thing to do.

Anyway sorry hard to get someones meaning at times. 

Unless foul play was the cause of her death & someone moved her motorcycle from it's original location... 

in which finding it will actually prove nothing, unless CCTV with her riding it and arriving at same place as it's found!

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Unless foul play was the cause of her death & someone moved her motorcycle from it's original location... 

in which finding it will actually prove nothing, unless CCTV with her riding it and arriving at same place as it's found!

You can interview witnesses too, not everything has to be caught on CCTV so investigating this is useful and should be done even if it leads to a dead en. 

14 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

Another foreigner dead (murdered maybe) and case will be closed soon : No sign of struggle etc etc etc etc

She was visiting a waterfall, lots of people slip and fall around waterfalls.

It's not beyond the bounds that she fell and hit her head at the waterfall, then was washed into the sea.

Sad photo of the lady holding her dead friends hand.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

She was visiting a waterfall, lots of people slip and fall around waterfalls.

It's not beyond the bounds that she fell and hit her head at the waterfall, then was washed into the sea.

Sad photo of the lady holding her dead friends hand.

Perhaps she never made it to the waterfall. The way the water drains and with the currents, I don't know how she could have drifted to where she was found in only 2-3 hours. Perhaps she went swimming at a beach instead. The waterfall is from her friend's comment only.

Perhaps she never made it to the waterfall. The way the water drains and with the currents, I don't know how she could have drifted to where she was found in only 2-3 hours. Perhaps she went swimming at a beach instead. The waterfall is from her friend's comment only.
So at the moment her friend's comment is the only thing they have to go on, no sign of the bike yet.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, worgeordie said:

RIP, I hope the police don't take the easy way out,but really

do a proper investigation,the missing motor bike,is not good.

regards Worgeordie

You would be amazed at the network of informants that the Thai police have at their disposal and the information they can gather if they wish. There are low-level civil servants / elected representatives everywhere (think phoo yai bahn, rangers at the waterfall) who all have their own network of eyes and ears of locals and security guards. Add into to that the fact that Thailand is an outdoor society where everything is observed, Thais couldn't keep a secret if their life depended on it and the fact that nobody cares a damn here about client confidentiality (think banks, accountants). And then top it off with the nature of Samui where the locals all know each other and who is up to what.

However, if the truth is inconvenient, then we know the police will concoct an alternative scenario.

I won't speculate on the cause of death but being a single woman in Thailand is not really a great idea if you ask me.i had a couple of young girls (friends) go to samui and got robbed twice by ladyboys,once in there room.of course they got back to the uk and spread the word how dangerous it is in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 11:43 AM, Briggsy said:

You would be amazed at the network of informants that the Thai police have at their disposal and the information they can gather if they wish. There are low-level civil servants / elected representatives everywhere (think phoo yai bahn, rangers at the waterfall) who all have their own network of eyes and ears of locals and security guards. Add into to that the fact that Thailand is an outdoor society where everything is observed, Thais couldn't keep a secret if their life depended on it and the fact that nobody cares a damn here about client confidentiality (think banks, accountants). And then top it off with the nature of Samui where the locals all know each other and who is up to what.

However, if the truth is inconvenient, then we know the police will concoct an alternative scenario.

Hope that you are right but does anyone have an update on this sad story?

On 2/2/2019 at 5:40 AM, balo said:

I would think she just slipped and hit her head.

But the conspiracies will continue as always and another mystery death can be added to the list. 

Sure, I can add to them, maybe not ... (this is true not a conspiracy story). A friend of mine (on Samui) got knocked off his bike deliberately on the way home by someone in a '4x4'. Lucky for him he wasn't injured seriously. When he got up he asked for his motorbike keys back and got no response, so walked away, probably saving his life. The motorbike 'disappeared' and he was charged the full new price for a 2nd hand bike from the rental company.

There are many more stories about car rentals as well, bet you can't wait to hear about them!

Archived