Thailand's a financial winner as free Visa on Arrival extended to end of April

webfact

Thailand's a financial winner as free Visa on Arrival extended to end of April

2pm.jpg

A government spokesman has indicated that offering free visa stamps on arrival has stimulated tourism to Thailand and the scheme will be extended. 

Though money lost from not charging for the stamps was 2 billion baht the extra tourists have spent a whopping 6 billion. 

Phutthipong Punyakan said that Visa on Arrival (VoA) that was previously charged at 2,000 baht would be offered for free until April 30th. 

The scheme to boost tourism from certain nationalities including the Chinese was started on November 15th and was set to run until January 13th. 

Now it will encompass Chinese New Year in early February and Songkran in mid April too, reported INN. 

Phutthipong said that figures from November 15th to December 27th showed 1,030,561 tourists seeking VoA stamps at various points of entry into the kingdom. This represented a 70.44% upturn on the same period of the previous year, he claimed. 

While revenue from charging for the stamps was down 2,140 million baht he said that revenue from tourist expenditure was 6,420 million baht. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-09

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, webfact said:

While revenue from charging for the stamps was down 2,140 million baht he said that revenue from tourist expenditure was 6,420 million baht. 

Meaning that each of these one million visitors spent on average 6,000 baht during their entire stay, a figure that Western tourists might well be expected to spend every day. 

Right. Because most people suddenly decide to visit Asia and choose Thailand so they don’t have to pay a few bucks. 

Anyone want to go to Peru with me next week? They are running a deal that’s so good that I couldn’t pass on... we don’t have to pay $20 for the entry visa. What a deal!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Phutthipong said that figures from November 15th to December 27th showed 1,030,561 tourists seeking VoA stamps at various points of entry into the kingdom. This represented a 70.44% upturn on the same period of the previous year, he claimed. 

I notice the use of the phrase 'he claimed'. Cleverly putting doubt on what he said, without directly calling him a liar.

Guessing he previously worked for TAT?

As I understand it, this is only about visa on arrival. It is not about visa waiver when crossing borders, which until recently was limited to two per callendar year. The cabinet made the decision to change this but no one is sure whether it has been implemented. Any news?

I don't believe this free visa idea has done anything to stimulate tourism. Why would it? I don't believe its making the slightest difference. It's just another excuse to ignore the real and mounting reasons why they are continuing to stay away.  Nothing will change unless the core reasons are dealt.

9 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

While so many other reports indicate a lack of tourists.

It picked up from the 27th december to jan 6th and now its dropped again.  Tourism is massively down.

Whereas Vietnam is mobbed!!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Exactly three times the amount? Coincidence or evidence that the figures are just pulled out of the air?

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Meaning that each of these one million visitors spent on average 6,000 baht during their entire stay, a figure that Western tourists might well be expected to spend every day. 

And that during a longer stay.

27 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

As I understand it, this is only about visa on arrival. It is not about visa waiver when crossing borders, which until recently was limited to two per callendar year. The cabinet made the decision to change this but no one is sure whether it has been implemented. Any news?

Ha ! I was going to ask the same question, I'm resident in Vientiane and we are all waiting for this so called Visa Waiver fee, as of a week ago the same old 1000 baht single entry fee is still in place, or 5000 baht plus certain documents for a 6 month Multi Entry (Of which most of us up here don't travel 'that' often to Nong Khai and Udon ...) its just a money making scheme as far as I am concerned, they are too lazy to query why you travel to Thailand so often and/or why doesn't their so called computers register the day you enter and leave again ... !!!

20 minutes ago, semtech said:

I came over for a month to stay in BKK, cha am and Hua hin. I’ve never seen so few tourists. Tourism seems to have crashed ? 

Thats interesting because Bangkok was/is supposed to be the one tourist area that is busy!!  Admittedly they only stay for one or two nights but its an extremely popular transit stop.

Problem is, thats all it is then they are flying out to a different country for their main holiday. Or rather, they are going somewhere and its not here.

All sounds fantastic but where are all the tourists even in Pattaya the Chinese tourists are about half compared to last year

evident as last year the whole town was brought to a halt by tour buses 

now the streets are empty 

fantasic

western tourists are again half as last year 

still so many Indians 

they are as much good to the tourists trade as chocolate fire guards

now still high season ????????????????????????

low season on its was I’m sure the government figures will say low season will be booming 

????????????????

1 hour ago, carmine said:

I don't believe this free visa idea has done anything to stimulate tourism. Why would it? I don't believe its making the slightest difference. It's just another excuse to ignore the real and mounting reasons why they are continuing to stay away.  Nothing will change unless the core reasons are dealt.

I couldn't agree more what a ludicrous claim, what on earth are they thinking, say many are coming believing more will follow.

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

I,m beginning to think all Thais care about is how much money they can make out of us ????

geeezz man....how long it took you to figure that one out..... it has been repeated over and over here TV

The revenue of tourist spending is 6.420BN, the loss of visa fee is 2.140BN, which produce a net revenue of 4.280BN.

To the best of my understanding, they need a markup on sold products of 50% just to go break-even.

Hence - this free visa on arrival is just generating an overall loss in my humble opinion.

It's nothing to do with telling the truth.

Phutthipong Punyakan has to say what he thinks his superiors expect him to say.

If he told the truth, that tourism was down (according to virtually everyone else), then his bosses would lose face after saying the free visa on arrival would stimulate tourism.

I suppose being cynical, it's just another example of 'Thainess', which us ferangs are constantly being told we will never understand. Too right.

1 minute ago, Lamphen said:

The revenue of tourist spending is 6.420BN, the loss of visa fee is 2.140BN, which produce a net revenue of 4.280BN.

To the best of my understanding, they need a markup on sold products of 50% just to go break-even.

Hence - this free visa on arrival is just generating an overall loss in my humble opinion.

your numbers look good but you didn't mention how many IMO lost their job due to visa free

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

Right. Because most people suddenly decide to visit Asia and choose Thailand so they don’t have to pay a few bucks. 

Anyone want to go to Peru with me next week? They are running a deal that’s so good that I couldn’t pass on... we don’t have to pay $20 for the entry visa. What a deal!

I'm in. So long as you pay for the airfare too. 

Rooster. 

So why are'nt they a little kinder to long term retirees who spend millions here, rather than making it more difficult.

Archived