Diarrhea for over 6 months

cyril sneer

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Some doctors would empirically treat for giardia in a case like this as it can take multiple stool tests to isolate the parasite and treatment is pretty straightfoward.

This is what I would do. I would take the treatment immediately and if it doesn't clear up I would then go to the most knowledgeable doctor available to me for whatever tests are required, even if it's a pain in the ass to do so.

What I wouldn't do is leave something like this untreated for more than a week or so.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Very likely a parasitic infection like guardia or less likely a bacterial infection.

Stool exam would be usual first step not colonoscopy. Colonoscopy only if no cause of diarrhea found on repeat stool exams and cultures.

Some doctors would empirically treat for giardia in a case like this as it can take multiple stool tests to isolate the parasite and treatment is pretty straightfoward.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

someone told me they take an OTC medication for parasites every year or so just to be on the safe side

is this something i could try first to see if it fixes it?

19 hours ago, cyril sneer said:
someone told me they take an OTC medication for parasites every year or so just to be on the safe side

No as those types of parasites would not cause this. And the type of parasite that would, is not something people treat prophylactically once a year for.

You could however empirically treat for giardia and amoeba. Tinidazole (Fasigyn or other brand) 2 gms a day for 3 days will cover both.

Take with food. May make you nauseous and don't drink alcohol while on it.

Don't take without consulting doctor if you have any liver or kidney problems.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

30 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Slightly off topic:  Do you recommend taking worm killing medicines every year even if you have no symptoms ?  Even if you don't eat street food and always cook your pork well. A pharmacist told me she takes these every 6 months. 

It could be parasites.  I had similar issues that lasted for 2 months , then I started a diet that included a lot of natural yoghurt and I bought this from iHerb .  

ParaSmart , 15 day program to kill any parasites . It actually worked for me and my stool went back to normal. 

53905_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, balo said:

It could be parasites.  I had similar issues that lasted for 2 months , then I started a diet that included a lot of natural yoghurt and I bought this from iHerb .  

ParaSmart , 15 day program to kill any parasites . It actually worked for me and my stool went back to normal. 

53905_1.jpg

How could you think about worms crawling around inside you for 15 days? Most Thais I know take this once a year just to be sure.  Takes a day

para.jpeg

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How could you think about worms crawling around inside you for 15 days?

Parasites don't have to be worms , they can be other micro organisms not detected in the stool.

I am aware of the easy anti worm tablet. 

the op should not do anything until he gets a stool sample taken. even at six months in, it may still be possible to find the original cause of your on going chronic diarrhea. where do you live?

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

I had I long lasting terrible diarrhea a while back, lots of gases, and rapid weightloss. Bought Tinidazol OTC and the symptoms were gone in less than 24h. My weight came back gradually.

Quite sure it was giardia, never took any samples though. Giardia is very common, and I believe it could last very long time.

I would try Tinidazol since the relieve would be rapid. If no improvement in 24-48h I'd visit a gastroenterologist.

2 hours ago, how241 said:

Slightly off topic:  Do you recommend taking worm killing medicines every year even if you have no symptoms ?  Even if you don't eat street food and always cook your pork well. A pharmacist told me she takes these every 6 months. 

No, I do not, and I do not take such medication myself.

People who do take these need to understand that they are effective against just a small number of potential parasites. There is no single medication that is effective "all" parasites.

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No, I do not, and I do not take such medication myself.

People who do take these need to understand that they are effective against just a small number of potential parasites. There is no single medication that is effective "all" parasites.

I assume they would definitely be ineffective against h pylori 

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Is it really diarrhea or just a softie? If it's really diarrhea and you have not checked it in the past 6 months may I also suggest that you see a mental professional.

yes proper diarrhea, the same type you get when you first visit this country and have a dodgy spicy meal, only it's every day

i've not had it checked as i assumed it was 100% self-inflicted and a doctor would just recommend not having alcohol/coffee/spicy foods.

I wouldn't go to a doctor every Saturday complaining of a hangover

Do a carrot juice fast for 10 days.

No bowel movement. No probs.

Then add steamed veggies 1 week

Meat the next, and so on

You get the picture.

See what foods causes it.

My bet is carbs. Bread rice pasta cereals grains.

2 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

yes proper diarrhea, the same type you get when you first visit this country and have a dodgy spicy meal, only it's every day

i've not had it checked as i assumed it was 100% self-inflicted and a doctor would just recommend not having alcohol/coffee/spicy foods.

I wouldn't go to a doctor every Saturday complaining of a hangover

Hangovers last one day. You've been suffering from something for 6 MONTHS.

Dude, just get to a good doctor. Poster NCC1701A and I have both recommended excellent doctors at Bumrungrad. (I'd rate the quality of service I received there on a par with that I've received in the past at Stanford Medical Center and the Palo Alto Medical Foundation, in Silicon Valley.) This could be as benign as giardia and cleared up with a simple prescription, or could be as serious as what I had/have, Ulcerative Colitis. But you'll never know listening to keyboard doctors as opposed to seeing a real one.

I had a bad cough for months, so i can't throw stones.  had to go to the clinic three times before the doctor led me in the right direction.  but then no coughing for over a year, so it got sorted.    he was only treating the coughing, not the real issue... anyhow.

my advice to you.   cut out everything, especially meat, anything that might be greasy or friend, dairy, etc...    eat bananas if you don't have a sugar problem (diabetic or something) and electrolytes.  go to tea instead of coffee (acid in coffee can ruin you after decades, i know).....

find one restaurant that doesn't really wreck your stomach, and keep going back.  eat the same stuff over and over...

now the funny part.  Doctors knows more about this than people on TV, because they see it a lot.  Go to a doctor, take all the pills they give you, and drink lots of water (or not, it's UP TO THE DOCTOR).   Forget the internet, everything.....  doctor.  doctor.  doctor.   doctor.  no, not the person selling medicine.... doctor, doctor, doctor, doctor.   

I would say that parasites are the most likely culprit.. I also usually pickup a parasitic infection once or twice a year since my 5 yrs in SE Asia.. My first time I had blood tests and a stool test and was prescribed Flagyl or Fasigyn through my doctor in Oz..

Now knowing the symptoms, severe stomach cramping and explosive diarrhea, I purchase OTC Tinodazole 500mg x 4 = 2g taken as one dose, x 3 days.. It treats four different common parasites, and can be taken in half dose for children, so is reasonably safe unless you have liver issues.. But it is important to not drink alcohol while taking the medication for up to 72 hrs after completing your course.

I use GynoGena Tinodazole 500mg x 4, available OTC. Price can vary from 45bht to 150bht depending on pharmacy. I always keep 3 packs in my fridge and take with me on my travels..

I would also be taking electrolytes such as Hydrolite to keep the body hydrated with essential mineral salts, particularly for chronic diarrhoea symptoms..

If no improvement after several days then get to a gastroentoligist for further testing and and diagnosis..

chula university hospital across the street from silom mrt station is quite decent and normally priced. they will not pad the bill nor pressure you to buy medications at an overpriced in house pharmacy (like some private hospitals) . their in house pharmacy is reasonably priced and nearby are a few large well stocked normally priced pharmacies.

a gi doc might also try a short course of anti parasite/bacteria medication.  whether or not you need a colonoscopy depends on the big picture, other factors also such as age, past medical history, timing of prior colonoscosp if any, family history, presence of trace blood in stool, etc.

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Nonsense.  Google best hospitals in Asia or Most technologically advanced hospitals in the world.  You get what you pay for.  Go to a good hospital get a good doctor or ask on Thai Visa.

Hehe.. maecusarelus has no idea about Thai doctors and hospital care. 

They will try anything first before examing for a serious cause and solution.. 

Some will quote excellent health care here.. but experience tells me I need to know more about my problem than any doctor here. 

Just as experience taught me I need to dictate to those same doctors what tests they should give and what medicine they should try dispensing. 

You should do the same

I've just read through all the posts on this topic and there is something that simply hasn't been mentioned and which is really important.  That is "re-infection".  When I am staying in Thailand and get the runs, I always adopt what I call my Thailand rules.  I wash my hands after using the toilet and dry them on household paper towel that is then thrown away.  Any ordinary towels are only used once before being put in a hot wash - and a laundry using hot water can be hard to find here.  One careless slip and you can reinfect yourself for another few days of angst.  No more handling any ice with the fingers or drinking from wet glasses that have just been swilled.  It all matters.

4 minutes ago, atyclb said:

not common at all got h pylori to cause diarrhea.  it is related to ulcers

Correct diagnosis and sometimes correct antibiotics is a necessity, not just quack remedies and guesses, I'm surprised  how many people rely on carrots etc!

Eventually you can get ulcers and / cancer issues! See a Doctor!

21 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

the doctor will just save face and feed me a cocktail of useless meds. that's my usual experience anyway

Sounds more like you want to save face (and money) by not seeing a doctor. Seems that everything you've done was useless, that's apparently your experience for 6 months anyway. And posting about it all on Thai Visa is a pretty useless strategy as well.

Go to hospital. Bring along a stool sample. If you've really had this problem for 6 months, rehydrating with basic drinking water does nothing to replace everything else you've been losing. At the very least you should be using Oral Rehydration Salts along with water.

7 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Correct diagnosis and sometimes correct antibiotics is a necessity, not just quack remedies and guesses, I'm surprised  how many people rely on carrots etc!

Eventually you can get ulcers and / cancer issues! See a Doctor!

my remark about h pylori is in the context of the issue of this thread, diarrhea, not peptic ulcer disease. 

Archived