Video: Rain blamed as pick-up driver ends up in the Chiang Mai moat

webfact

Video: Rain blamed as pick-up driver ends up in the Chiang Mai moat

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A video posted on the Facebook page of Chiang Mai radio station 108 showed the recovery operation after a man drove his pick-up into the moat.

The driver was Bunchana Tomklan, 35, who said he was driving along Manee Nopparat Road to the market. He blamed the rain that has been falling heavily in the northern Thai city.

"I applied my brakes as normal," he told Sanook, "But it was slippery and I lost my rear end and ended up floating in the moat". 

Luckily he managed to swim to safety before his vehicle started to sink. 

Sanook said it took a rescue winch the best part of an hour to retrieve the vehicle that seemed to have gone into the water around 6 am according to the video. 

Local officials reminded the public to drive carefully in the wet conditions especially on roads around the city. 

Last week two well-known Thai people were killed when a CRV ended up in a klong in the city.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-09

Ok, blame the rain, never admit you were driving too fast

for the conditions, and when going through water,after, put

your foot lightly on the brake,to dry them out,so they work

when you need them

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

I live in Chiang Mai, and if you go over the curbs around the moat, you are definitely going to fast. 

Not at all, certainly not in a pick-up truck. Wouldn't be a bad idea to make the walking path around the moat 1-2 bricks higher but who cares, most times they survive accidents there anyway.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Rain blamed as pick-up driver ends up in the Chiang Mai moat

Another excuse from the British Rail Book Of Good Excuses.

Originally started when BR blamed the 'wrong sort of leaves' on the track, delaying trains. Went on to include 'dry snow' on another occasion.

If the pick up was not damaged before the recovery team took action it certainly is now . Before they started I thought the crane was to near the vehicle , side ways on and could not see any outriggers . One point lift from the crane hook instead of a spreader beam that would not have damaged the car wings . Did they manage to recover the car ?

The recovery truck was too close to the pick up , should of closed half or all the road and winched from further away , would of avoided destroying the tub anyway, but that will be back on the road in a week or two or perhaps sold to 1 lucky new owner.

15 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

This is a problem with pickup's real light in the rear end when unloaded,this happened to me a few years back,i took a corner a little to sharply,there was oil on the road,lost the rear end down the ditch i went.

Canadians are well trained in driving in adverse weather conditions - ice, blowing snow, freezing rain, snow packed and wet roads - it all boils down to untrained, inexperienced drivers!

Archived