Altercation with a taxi driver

gppower

15 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Hey wrench,  turn left in 50 metres nah krup... You bloody wrench.. ????

Or you could replace 'wrench' with various other tools / adjectives including but not limited to...

• Spanner
  • Hoe
  • Crank
  • Dip stick
  • Oily rag
  • Spatula ????

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1)  When you arrived at yak 3 sub soi of Soi 56 you should have been telling him to turn.  As he went past it you should have demanded him to stop.  If he didn't stop, open the door a little so that the dome light will go on.  That will get his attention.  If he stops you can get out but I don't know how far you had to go down the sub soi.

2)  When he refused to take you back to the sub soi and demanded payment say ok.  Then take a picture of his ID on the front left dashboard.  When he feigned physical confrontation take his picture.  He really won't like that.

3)  Exit vehicle and start walking back to your destination after paying him.  Make sure he doesn't try to run you over!  

4) contact the office of DLT as was previously mentioned.  

9 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Did you really know where you had to go?

Never had a taxi not obey my requests tor "leo sai" or "leo kwha in 27 years

Today I totally agree with One More Farang

Don't forget, trong pai, trong pai, then  klap rott as he's drove past... 

11 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Don't forget, trong pai, trong pai, then  klap rott as he's drove past... 

Trouble is, that if you said that, the taxi driver wouldn't have a clue what you are saying. Just might have worked with some HiSo Thai. Phrase books are neither use nor ornament in these situations.

Better to have said, tong bai, tong bai and then cap lot. Though why you would say "drive car" after you had passed your turning, I don't know. I would have said "Yut" and then "U- turn"

The easiest solution when he threatened you was to fall to the ground and start crying. A quick sh**e in the pants adds to the realism. Then he will just leave you there, and you wont have to pay.

But hey, as said, the next time pay him as you are taking a pic of his license card. It will ruin his day. The other day I was standing outside my building smoking a dog end contemplating whether I should cab it or BTS it. A cab with the get in light pulled up. I dropped the dog end, pulled out my phone, leaned in, opened the door and told him my destination. No no, he says, No? I replied, and I took a pic of his card and closed the door, stepped back and another cab pulled up. As I leaned into the second cab, cabbie one opened his window and began gesturing me to get in looking in his mirror. I put my phone to my ear and go in the second one. Gave the dude something to think about.

We had enough comments about taxi drivers and it seems some people have constantly problems with them and other people have almost never problems.

Now the question is: Do those guys who have constantly bad experience have just bad luck all the time? Or are there other reasons that they have always problems with taxi drivers while other people don't have these problems...

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We had enough comments about taxi drivers and it seems some people have constantly problems with them and other people have almost never problems.

Now the question is: Do those guys who have constantly bad experience have just bad luck all the time? Or are there other reasons that they have always problems with taxi drivers while other people don't have these problems...

Bad body odour is usually the problem. Nothing winds a taxi driver up more than a smelly passenger.

Trouble is, that if you said that, the taxi driver wouldn't have a clue what you are saying. Just might have worked with some HiSo Thai. Phrase books are neither use nor ornament in these situations.

Better to have said, tong bai, tong bai and then cap lot. Though why you would say "drive car" after you had passed your turning, I don't know. I would have said "Yut" and then "U- turn"
Spot on spidey lad, you can write it anyway you want, saying it right is another thing.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hard to say maybe it was a language barrier and a bit of a greedy driver. 

Similar happens everywhere in the Workd sometime. Worked for a company 20+ years at the time of the incident. Worked out of California office headquarters in Dallas TX suburb.

Went to the headquarters at least 40 times. It’s always been the same place and still is 30 years later. 

First St time I went to office by taxi usually rented a car. This time there were several company cars so they said taxi in and use one of the cars. 

Taxi stops in front of a building and says ok youve arrived. I told him this is not the right place. He wanted to argue and I wouldn’t 

bait him. Finally I used GPS and showed him the location. 

West Divison street where the headquarters where was 3 or 4 miles of titty bars and used cars. They’ve cleaned it up a bit now .

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If the guys who say they never have problems can go to Sukhumvit Soi 11 at about midnight... see how they get on obtaining a metered taxi...  

issues are generally related to your location, your destination and whether or not the driver is an a33ho!e !!!  

Just now, Spidey said:

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m going to load up on sprouts and start exacting my revenge! 

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Same as sprouts if you really want some ripping farts.

It’s a shame the craft beer is so pricey, just to top off the effect - I’m all class !!! 

23 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Spot on spidey lad, you can write it anyway you want, saying it right is another thing.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I learnt my Thai by listening and speaking to Thais. I always write it down phonetically. Easier to get the pronunciation right that way.

Simply buy yourself a bicycle. Easiest and quickest way by far to get around central Bangkok. It's almost completely flat, so dead easy to cycle around and you'll be amazed how quickly you can get anywhere. Plus, of course it's free and counts towards your daily exercise. Just buy a sturdy bike lock (preferably two) and make sure you lock it up well to a lamppost and remember where you put it. You can also attach a child seat on the back for the Thai GF. Works fine as long as she's not over 50 kg. Another basket for carrying shopping on the front. Perfect solution.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

If the guys who say they never have problems can go to Sukhumvit Soi 11 at about midnight... see how they get on obtaining a metered taxi...  

issues are generally related to your location, your destination and whether or not the driver is an a33ho!e !!!  

I live there and I know that sometimes its difficult to get a taxi-meter.

So you ask the driver and if he refuses to switch on the meter then you close the door and ask the next one, and the next one.

I agree that is annoying but it's easy to just say no and don't drive with any of them.

If necessary I walk or take a motorcycle taxi to the main road and get the taxi-meter there. Ok, that's maybe 5 or 10 minutes walking but that's it.

Life if too short to get upset about those drivers.

And in my experience the issue can be solved before sitting down in the taxi. If you don't like the driver just don't go with that one. I had very seldom any problems after the driver knew the destination and agreed to switch on the meter.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Only a rookie tourist tries to do that. The rest of us walk a few blocks and call a grab

A few years back many long termers on here will remember the American guy who got into an argument with a taxi coincidently not far from this similar altercation.He paid for it with his life in the worst possible way.The Thai taxi driver pulled a sword out of his boot and just about sliced his head off..all over a few dollars!Not worth the grief and the hassle mate..just put it down to life's experiences and move on!

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:
11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Only a rookie tourist tries to do that. The rest of us walk a few blocks and call a grab

Why do you walk a few blocks an call a grab? You can just walk a few blocks to the main street, in this case Sukhumit Road or Sukhumvit Soi 3, and get a metered taxi there, there are enough of them. Putting a hand out is just fine, you don't have to call anyone.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do you walk a few blocks an call a grab? You can just walk a few blocks to the main street, in this case Sukhumit Road or Sukhumvit Soi 3, and get a metered taxi there, there are enough of them. Putting a hand out is just fine, you don't have to call anyone.

I dunno I have been using Grab a bit more lately as it is only 20 baht more and I am meeting some cool younger drivers who speak better English. Plus I get to ride in different cars vis a vis the ubiquitous Toyota. Got a brand new Mazda 3 the other day and it was pretty nice. Only $24K in the USA.

I havent had much of a problem getting a meter like you say. Closing time is a bitch, but its all good.

My Mrs is Bangkok born and bred knows the city pretty well, and most times better than the taxi driver

When we are  in Bangkok a lot  taxi rides are an adventure and or argument.

The OP is not alone!  

Archived