How not to treat animals

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I agree entirely that this sort of treatment of animals should never be allowed.  It's horrifying and disgusting.

But it won't stop until tourists realise the way these animals are treated and, once they realise, care enough to stop paying for the 'entertainment'.

Agree, but unfortunately that will take a few more decades.

The majority of tourists are Chinese (and Russian), and they dont care about animal well-being.

Its mostly developed countries producing citizens that care, but they are not a large group of the arrivals here anymore.

Maybe not a tourist thing, I've seen many elephants earning a living for their adoptive family, the elephant people sell bananas to villagers to feed the elephant thereby earning money for the family. The villagers in turn have special dances and customs for this "Elephant occasion".

I think it is better chained than to be allowed to wander on the roads.

32 minutes ago, chassa70 said:

Maybe not a tourist thing, I've seen many elephants earning a living for their adoptive family, the elephant people sell bananas to villagers to feed the elephant thereby earning money for the family. The villagers in turn have special dances and customs for this "Elephant occasion".

I think it is better chained than to be allowed to wander on the roads.

The young female comes from the quite new extream activity park 200 meters away they must have some males in musk.

35 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Agree, but unfortunately that will take a few more decades.

The majority of tourists are Chinese (and Russian), and they dont care about animal well-being.

Its mostly developed countries producing citizens that care, but they are not a large group of the arrivals here anymore.

They first need another source of income, it is fine complaining about the treatment of animals when your livelihood is not dependant on them. Then give them a few years and they end up keeping pets. China is a prime example, about 20 years ago 75% of dogs were used a food. Visit the wealthier cities like Shanghai and the Chinese are keeping dogs like pampered pets. Education goes a long way as does a bit of disposable income. If you have neither don't be surprised by the results.  

22 hours ago, Formaleins said:

They first need another source of income, it is fine complaining about the treatment of animals when your livelihood is not dependant on them. Then give them a few years and they end up keeping pets. China is a prime example, about 20 years ago 75% of dogs were used a food. Visit the wealthier cities like Shanghai and the Chinese are keeping dogs like pampered pets. Education goes a long way as does a bit of disposable income. If you have neither don't be surprised by the results.  

There are other sources of income, but they prefer this source probably because the payments are much better for the amount of work it requires.

For example, I dont think people build a dolphin aquarium (costing millions of baht), get dolphins caught in the wild, and hire trainers, just because they have no other ways of making money. They just think this way is more lucrative. 

About your China example: how much dog meat is still being consumed today?

Is the disappearence of dogs for food due to the availability of other sources of income, or because demand is just lower making it less profitable?

Educate the consumers to lower demand and soon treating animals like this isn't profitable anymore.

Do you know how long the elephant is chained, and for how many days? Sometimes they will be chained briefly for safety (theirs or human). The chain should really have a plastic cover or even be strong plastic (if the elephant is accustomed not to stray when tethered, like a horse when you just drop the reins over a post). Or a male may be in musth and dangerous, but needed some attention. It's a complex matter. I don't know if that animal is being abused, but we can't assume anything without facts.

18 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Do you know how long the elephant is chained, and for how many days? Sometimes they will be chained briefly for safety (theirs or human). The chain should really have a plastic cover or even be strong plastic (if the elephant is accustomed not to stray when tethered, like a horse when you just drop the reins over a post). Or a male may be in musth and dangerous, but needed some attention. It's a complex matter. I don't know if that animal is being abused, but we can't assume anything without facts.

She has now been moved, also saw a big bull elephant being moved from the park so she could be back home.

Archived