Corbyn to call for UK election if May loses Brexit vote - Labour

webfact

11 minutes ago, Basil B said:

May should go to Parliament today, say she has not enough support for her deal and she is conceding, this uncertainty is damaging the country and is withdrawing article 50, further more call Corbyn's bluff by calling a vote of confidence in her Government.

Agree, but not sure what you mean by "and is withdrawing article 50"?

Probably best to let the next MPs vote on May and the eu's 'deal' play out - and see what happens from there - as this will give the electorate an even better idea as to the game being played by their MPs.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Basil B said:

May should go to Parliament today, say she has not enough support for her deal and she is conceding, this uncertainty is damaging the country and is withdrawing article 50, further more call Corbyn's bluff by calling a vote of confidence in her Government.

strongly disagree

would be a very very bad signal for UK politics if she did

this is not her deal

the UK electorate voted leave,

as a consequence, the government triggered A50 and entered into and concluded talks with EU

on how UK should leave EU

the deal is the result of that effort

there are statutes in UK guiding this deal business and the role of the parliament

whether the deal should be scrapped or accepted and followed up on

is for parliament to decide

Now I am but a stupid 'merican, and for God's sake our elections take so long we're already basically in the 2020 Presidential election cycle.

However, even with my limited understanding of UK politics and election law, aren't you in time crunch regardless of what happens?

If everything I've read is true, by law you leave the EU in the end of March(?). 

Even if you had another general election, that's got to be a least 2 months to organize surely?

So how does that actually work, and what does it change??

41 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now I am but a stupid 'merican, and for God's sake our elections take so long we're already basically in the 2020 Presidential election cycle.

However, even with my limited understanding of UK politics and election law, aren't you in time crunch regardless of what happens?

If everything I've read is true, by law you leave the EU in the end of March(?). 

Even if you had another general election, that's got to be a least 2 months to organize surely?

So how does that actually work, and what does it change??

good question,

what does it really change at this stage, re Brexit

I can see more good reasons for ditching May if the deal is accepted by parliament

than if it is not accepted

if it is not accepted it seems that now finally the UK parliament has woken up and can grab the tiller,

doesn't really matter if she is running about yelling

whilst,

with an accepted deal it would be quite simply important to get her out swiftly,

it will be a very long process to disentangle UK from EU through the deal,

I think one should let somebody else guide that process

10 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

good question,

what does it really change at this stage, re Brexit

I can see more good reasons for ditching May if the deal is accepted by parliament

than if it is not accepted

if it is not accepted it seems that now finally the UK parliament has woken up and can grab the tiller,

doesn't really matter if she is running about yelling

whilst,

with an accepted deal it would be quite simply important to get her out swiftly,

it will be a very long process to disentangle UK from EU through the deal,

I think one should let somebody else guide that process

It's actually fascinating to watch, in a kinda slasher movie kinda way.

it's akin to saying Texas was going to disentangle itself from the Union. I'm not sure how you do it.

The Brit's have to be totally honest only yourselves to blame for this however.

You joined a free trade area, similar to NAFTA then y'all  agreed to join a political union after Maastricht, then seem shocked!

You could walk away from a NAFTA, talk to Donald...a political union, not so easy

Archived