My Girlfriend Stateless.

4 minutes ago, samran said:

You really only have two options at this stage.

If you suspect she is from Myanmar then all migrants from there need to go back and undertake ‘nationality verification’ where they go back and get their IDs updated and then a passport can be issued for them to return to Thailand. 

Without this they they are unable to apply for the non-immigrant LA visas anymore and can’t get sponsored for the work permit that comes with this under the migrant labour scheme. 

The local department of labour office usually has the step by step outline of how to do all of this. 

If you suspect she is a from a minority hill tribe then the Thai government has been promoting getting everyone Thai ID cards to prove thai citizenship. 

You’d be best to approach an NGO like this one to ask for assistance.

Thanks for that. As mention she has been here probably 10 years now but no proof of that.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Does she even want to solve her problem or is this just what you want?

She wants it. I have just about reached the point of running around I don't care and ready to give up. Believe me you have to know her to know what she is like. To give an example we went to doctors at RAM once and they told her to come back at a certain time and day. She walked out of the office and I asked her when. She had forgotten in less than 1 minute. I had to go ask. This applies to everything she does.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

I did accompany her to the Thai/Burma army crossing but was told I can't cross. Honestly if we crossed at Techalek, which is probably the closest I don't know if she could find our way to the village.

I am not sanguine that it would ultimately help, but she does not need to know how to reach the area of her village from Tachilek. You have a pretty good idea where it is, and with rough GPS coordinates you can find your way almost anywhere these days in principle. The two concerns would be (i) whether you would be allowed to travel within Myanmar to the area you want to reach; and (ii) how much time, money and effort would be involved. Travel in parts of Myanmar is difficult to say the least.

In my younger days I had a GF from Shan state.

She asked if I would like to visit and meet her family. Sure.

She foned her brother on the other side, he brought 3 mules down to the Myanmar side of the river. We walked down the hill, crossed, and Viola I was in Burma.

Paid my respects to the Headman (Warlord) first, had a nice 3 day visit, and walked back over to the Thai side.

Risk involved of course, but I got to see things that are not discussed in Lonely Planet 555

You could consider this route too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems she is incapable of doing anything unaided. Presumably, when she originally got a work permit, someone helped her, probably for money. Have you managed to figure out who helped her get a work permit? Maybe, that individual has contacts inside Myanmar who could contact her father to get the basic information you need to know how to proceed:

• Name of father (OK, you have that)
  • Nationality of father
  • Name of mother
  • Nationality of mother
  • Is mother still living? Is there any chance of finding the mother?
  • Place and date of birth
  • Whether birth was registered

It will become even more difficult if her father dies before anything is done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

In my younger days I had a GF from Shan state.

She asked if I would like to visit and meet her family. Sure.

She foned her brother on the other side, he brought 3 mules down to the Myanmar side of the river. We walked down the hill, crossed, and Viola I was in Burma.

Paid my respects to the Headman (Warlord) first, had a nice 3 day visit, and walked back over to the Thai side.

Risk involved of course, but I got to see things that are not discussed in Lonely Planet 555

You could consider this route too.

I did trips like this 30 years ago, but the Thai Myanmar border is not as porous now as it was then. It is still possible for locals to sneak across, but Westerners trying it run a severe risk of being caught and punished.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

It seems she is incapable of doing anything unaided. Presumably, when she originally got a work permit, someone helped her, probably for money. Have you managed to figure out who helped her get a work permit? Maybe, that individual has contacts inside Myanmar who could contact her father to get the basic information you need to know how to proceed:

• Name of father (OK, you have that)
  • Nationality of father
  • Name of mother
  • Nationality of mother
  • Is mother still living? Is there any chance of finding the mother?
  • Place and date of birth
  • Whether birth was registered

It will become even more difficult if her father dies before anything is done.

As I previously mentioned she changed her phone and number and lost all contact details including her father.

Assume she knows fathers name.

She doesn't know his nationality.

Mother deceased.

Again, as mentioned she does not know where she was born. Not sure when she was born.

No idea if registered.

Yes it will become very difficult if he dies and I am trying to get her to go home now.