Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 06:46
webfact

Britain's Hammond says no-deal Brexit would harm its people

It's really going to be worth to watch when UK starts using WTO deals worldwide. It will be the 2nd country to trade with only WTO rules, after Mauritania. 

https://medium.com/@MrWeeble/who-actually-trades-solely-under-wto-rules-1b6127ce33c6

Here is the list of the current countries EU and therefore UK trades with WTO rules. These are the 24 countries EU has not yet made a trade deal. 

_98630427_wto_rules_640-nc.png.67ea53decba9d5c75b619957df039a87.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41859691

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

ANY kind of Brexit will harm the people as businesses continue to warn. My main concern would be the value of the baht if a no deal Brexit comes about 

Honest, at least. Finally.

10 hours ago, pegman said:

Could the top Tories' true intent be, in agreeing to such a bad deal,  to lose the commons vote? Then reason a new referendum is a better option than a no deal exit. She was a remainder after all.

Could be that. But you seem to have accepted that if there was another vote then it would favour remain.  Yet many Brexiteers claim that with another vote the leave vote would actually strengthen. 

Now the consequences of Brexit are know I wonder which way it would go?

What about all the non-UK people with big/small businesses and/or interests who don't know what is going to happen?!?

They are unable to prepare because the UK can not make up their mind; because the UK is stupid enough to leave the EU, all people in EU countries suffer and have to deal with the indecisiveness of the UK. Not fair!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

What about all the non-UK people with big/small businesses and/or interests who don't know what is going to happen?!?

They are unable to prepare because the UK can not make up their mind; because the UK is stupid enough to leave the EU, all people in EU countries suffer and have to deal with the indecisiveness of the UK. Not fair!

I am a UK person with a small business and have made a contingency plan for after Brexit should it end with a no-deal or a bad deal.  I have set up (with five other small businesses) a base in Holland.  There are hundreds of other businesses doing the same thing at the moment 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I am a UK person with a small business and have made a contingency plan for after Brexit should it end with a no-deal or a bad deal.  I have set up (with five other small businesses) a base in Holland.  There are hundreds of other businesses doing the same thing at the moment 

That is smart and good preparation! However I am talking about non-UK people who run small businesses in other countries that do/did business with UK. They are unable to prepare because UK is so f***ing indecisive and they had no saying in the whole affair at all (unlike the Brits)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

That is smart and good preparation! However I am talking about non-UK people who run small businesses in other countries that do/did business with UK. They are unable to prepare because UK is so f***ing indecisive and they had no saying in the whole affair at all (unlike the Brits)

Totally agree.  I spend a lot of time apologising to my business contacts in Europe

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I firmly believe that my job is to look after the welfare and interests of the British people and I conclude that it would not be in their interests to leave without a deal.

After of course my old Etonian chums fellow millionaires especially foreign ones tax havens and my wine cellar with the only caveat being the expats who we have successfully hung out to dry after throwing them under Boris's Brexit bus with our never ending party infighting 🤔  

But did he actually say that?

46 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Of course they are able to prepare. Who or what is stopping them?

You always prepare for the worst case and from then on it is easier if the worst case doesn't happen.

Any business that doesn't plan for the worst case, even if it never happens shouldn't be in business.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Latest poll says 46% want to remain, 39% want to leave (and 15% don't know, or don't care).

Is that poll by the same people who said the Brexit vote would be 'no' (and Hillary would win the US elections)?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Latest poll says 46% want to remain, 39% want to leave (and 15% don't know, or don't care).

Update , 15% dont  care anymore . Expected to increase daily .

Edited by elliss

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What consequences?

How do you know?

I don't know that soon a beautiful woman won't be banging on my bedroom door demanding uncomplicated sex.

I don't know if Mrs baboon would mind too much if I knock her about a bit.

I don't know that the earth isn't flat.

However I won't be taking the gamble on my being wrong.

So this is it, now? Support Brexit because you don't know for sure that it will be a catastrophe? Forget that bit about the extra NHS money? Forget that 'Easiest deal in history'? Forget the "No downside"? Forget that Brexiteers weren't exactly scrambling for the PM's job? Forget that they aren't even trying to send a consistent message anymore?

There are plentiful reasons to resent the EU. But given the shysters in the UK and what passes for their objections, I'll stay in, thanks.

• Like 2