Seven foreigners arrested over illegal pre-wedding photo shoots in Phuket

webfact

9 minutes ago, natway09 said:

If they are getting paid & taking photos in Thailand  then they are breaking the law .

I admire your apparent childlike innocence and trust that if a law exists, it, by definition, was put there by wise and benevolent leaders for the benefit of society. Some cynical people might foolishly imagine that many laws only serve special interests or the interests of those who make the laws.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the beach a public beach or a private beach? I just can't fathom that taking a few photos on a public beach would be an issue!! What was the infraction? Taking a picture? Or was this an immigration issue? Or was it a contract enforcement issue?

I just don't get it!

7 hours ago, anterian said:

So based on this if an infirm foreigner visits Thailand with his private nurse, on tourist visas, that nurse would be breaking the law. 

My guess is that if anyone is working in Thailand regardless as to where their employer is located or from where the salary comes, all funds earned while working in Thailand would be taxable. Just a guess

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

While I respect the rights of Thailand to protect such jobs. If the answer is - have the wedding and shoot in China. What has been gained?

Perhaps in need of Chinese speaking photographers

Indeed!  In the U.S. the beef against "undocumented workers" is that they take jobs away from American workers by working for less than prevailing wages. I assume that Chinese are not undercutting Thai rates. So, what do you assume the attraction is? Do Thai wedding photographers have good multi-lingual websites? Do they have e-mail? Do they actually respond to e-mail? If they respond, to they respond in a way that is useful, that gives the impression they are happy to have new business?  Assuming staff can speak Chinese, do they know how to do business and close a deal over the phone?  I don't know the answers, just raising the questions.

5 minutes ago, rexall said:

Indeed!  In the U.S. the beef against "undocumented workers" is that they take jobs away from American workers by working for less than prevailing wages. I assume that Chinese are not undercutting Thai rates. So, what do you assume the attraction is? Do Thai wedding photographers have good multi-lingual websites? Do they have e-mail? Do they actually respond to e-mail? If they respond, to they respond in a way that is useful, that gives the impression they are happy to have new business?  Assuming staff can speak Chinese, do they know how to do business and close a deal over the phone?  I don't know the answers, just raising the questions.

I just love your Drug Stores.   Undocumented Aliens in the USA, or as Thais say, "BAD GUYS," also cause mayhem, destruction, murder, drunk driver, and all sorts of Bad Guy behaviours.

3 hours ago, Cobby said:

Very strange 

it’ seems all foreigners can be arrested for illegal working 

but if you are from African country you can sell drugs on the steers of Bangkok while wife’s or girlfriends sell bodies 

is this not working I’m confused 

Gosh...now they’re selling their drugs off the back of a cow. Who’da thought

1 hour ago, The Alien said:

"Why not call them Chinese rather than foreigners?"

I think Thai Visa wanted the readers to know "pre-wedding photographer job" is illegal for foreigners without proper work permit.

that would be discrimination and wouldn't be well accepted.... foreigners sound much better

23 minutes ago, Top Chef said:

Is the beach a public beach or a private beach? I just can't fathom that taking a few photos on a public beach would be an issue!! What was the infraction? Taking a picture? Or was this an immigration issue? Or was it a contract enforcement issue?

I just don't get it!

It's a work permit thing! Now as for the PROPER criminals - that would mean PROPER police work!

have been seeing this type of work for the past 2.5 to 3 years, mainly Koreans and Chinese taking wedding photos, it's a package trip..... it too that long for Thai police to act..., wonder if would take that long if they were 'westerner' foreigners..... just a thought

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Are you sure about that, I don't recall seeing that mentioned.

I and many of my colleagues do a vast amount of charitable work within the Kingdom- we have been responsible for providing clean safe water to thousands of families , helping many children - especially the migrant children, building new schools, we have been recognised by the Royal Family - a hint of needing a work permit - never . 

Dont believe everything you read or hear on ThaiVisa . 

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Hey, after the Phuket deaths last year, let's upset the Chinese more by ruining WEDDING photo shoots. 

What a joke!

The problem here is that the couples are ALWAYS walking from far away as there is no parking close to the entrance that NON paying hotel guests have to use. They are seen by the tuk tuks, taxis and everyone else. These guys with the cameras got called on by these people.

Those taxidrivers who refuse to use the meter and still get away with it?!

Was in Chichen Itza. .. (Chicken pizza )  Mexico visiting Mayan ruins. Had a simple tripod wanted to take a picture for me my scrapbook. Was asked if I have a license which I didn’t they were nice about it and the rules are there for a reason. 

Beautiful if yiu ever have a chance to go there.

52 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I'm sure Farang, not Falang, means "Look, over there, a big fat pasty white man."  They point at me and yell Farang! all the time!

And upcountry they push their companion to make sure he/she also saw the farang and repeats the word as well...That's why i won't go there anymore, i feel like the white monkey they have been searching for since ages.

7 hours ago, Kolantaman said:

Reciprocal laws in the usa would see thousands of Thai restuarants close......darn foreigners taking away jobs......not.........China will own Thailand in 100 years according to many Chineae I talk to so piss China off too much and that schedule could be accelerated.......or conversely China could pull out all investments and Thais would beg to have the Chinese come back.........hmmm......distant relatives maybe....dont forget where you came from many thousands of years ago....thats another story........and now for something completely different.............

You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Have you heard of the Treaty of Amity?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Amity_and_Economic_Relations_(Thailand–United_States)

Americans in Thailand can own a business 100% and do business just like a Thai. 

2 hours ago, peterb17 said:

I and many of my colleagues do a vast amount of charitable work within the Kingdom- we have been responsible for providing clean safe water to thousands of families , helping many children - especially the migrant children, building new schools, we have been recognised by the Royal Family - a hint of needing a work permit - never . 

Dont believe everything you read or hear on ThaiVisa . 

You still require officially a workpermit.

33 minutes ago, hansgruber said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Have you heard of the Treaty of Amity?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Amity_and_Economic_Relations_(Thailand–United_States)

Americans in Thailand can own a business 100% and do business just like a Thai. 

You just keep on believing that and stay happy. ????????????

3 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

I just love your Drug Stores.   Undocumented Aliens in the USA, or as Thais say, "BAD GUYS," also cause mayhem, destruction, murder, drunk driver, and all sorts of Bad Guy behaviours.

I wish to hell they were my drug stores, I'd be on my yacht!  No doubt some undocumented persons commit crimes and cause other problems. But they do not commit crimes because they are undocumented, they  commit them because they are criminals just as citizens do. Most or all undocumented residents put a downward pressure on low-end wages. I reckon that zero legal residents or citizens do that.

1 minute ago, rexall said:

I wish to hell they were my drug stores, I'd be on my yacht!  No doubt some undocumented persons commit crimes and cause other problems. But they do not commit crimes because they are undocumented, they  commit them because they are criminals just as citizens do. Most or all undocumented residents put a downward pressure on low-end wages. I reckon that zero legal residents or citizens do that.

All very true, but we have to deal with citizens.  We don't necessarily have to deal with criminals from another country unless we don't keep them from coming into the country.  We have enough problems with our own people.

10 hours ago, anterian said:

So based on this if an infirm foreigner visits Thailand with his private nurse, on tourist visas, that nurse would be breaking the law. 

Of course. They could both go to prison - share the cell block with the Belgium who went to prison for overstay - because he went jogging and had a heart attack and when he got out of the hospital he was illegal.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Are you saying that Chinese are not foreigners in Thailand?

Because if you are, you are as wrong as kittenkong.

Not wrong!

The term Farang refers to us people of white-European descent, a.k.a. Honkies, Hauwlies, Cavachos, et cetera.

It is a cultural concept and is used to distinguish-discriminate us from regular people.

The legal term Foreigner is a different matter - and legally all non-citizens are equally outside of the law.

Some of the commentators are alluding to the practice of enforcing some laws on the Farangs that are just over-looked in the case of non-Farang Foreigners.

Archived