Seven foreigners arrested over illegal pre-wedding photo shoots in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, MuuKondiao said:

Not wrong!

The term Farang refers to us people of white-European descent, a.k.a. Honkies, Hauwlies, Cavachos, et cetera.

It is a cultural concept and is used to distinguish-discriminate us from regular people.

The legal term Foreigner is a different matter - and legally all non-citizens are equally outside of the law.

Some of the commentators are alluding to the practice of enforcing some laws on the Farangs that are just over-looked in the case of non-Farang Foreigners.

Chinese are foreigners in Thailand because the two nationalities are different. 

So yes, it is wrong to say Chinese are not foreigners in Thailand.

That is the point I made. 

I at no point have used the term farang.

If you wish to debate that term, do so with someone who has introduced it into this thread. 

17 hours ago, anterian said:

So based on this if an infirm foreigner visits Thailand with his private nurse, on tourist visas, that nurse would be breaking the law. 

Yup!  If you came with your personal staff and was touring around the country and your staff was assisting you, as they always do, then you are breaking the law.  

19 hours ago, KittenKong said:

No, because Chinese is a racial type as well as a nationality.

Wrong.

Chinese is a nationality.  If you want to talk about race then you would need to mention ethnicity.  As I am sure you are aware there are at least 52 ethnic groups in China.  If not then why is the CCP imprisoning (sorry, reeducating) the Uigher people.

20 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Because they could be Chinese and not foreign. Plus the crime is working while being foreign, not working while being Chinese.

Meanwhile, more serious crimes like mobbing all-you-can-eat buffets while being Chinese or driving while being Thai are being ignored.  :cheesy:

I guess the immigration have a right to question their reason of stay in Thailand...

if it's pleasure then ok, but if they're working as a company taking pre-wedding photo's then it's not a holiday it's work !!

Some countries might over-look this as a working holiday but if it's continuous then they need to get the correct documents.

21 hours ago, LuukKoeyKorat said:

I'm thinking its not to upset the sensitivities of the Chinese tourist, when quite clearly it is a Chinese wedding group?

Fair point Cannot be upsetting that section of the tourist trade 

3 hours ago, car720 said:

Wrong.

Chinese is a nationality.  If you want to talk about race then you would need to mention ethnicity.  As I am sure you are aware there are at least 52 ethnic groups in China. 

Yes, but in SE Asia it is common to hear people referred to as being Chinese even if they hold a passport of another country. It may not be official but it is common way to define origin and racial type and "Chinese" was one option used in UK censuses until very recently.

Err this article is about wedding photographers working illegally. not what constitutes 'Chinese' .

For those actually IN Phuket they know what a pain these people are. In Kamala alone there are ten crews. The can on occasion be stood in the middle of the main road with cars whizzing past on both sides, blocking parking spaces in the supermarket, on one occasion stood on my truck (!), jabbering away at volume 10 and blocking the sidewalk.  

On 1/10/2019 at 10:32 AM, phuketrichard said:

There at LEAST 3-4 ( some days up to 8 or more) Chinese wedding photographers working DAILY on Kamala beach and around Kamala town

And of course , very near from the police station !!!

On 1/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, anterian said:

So based on this if an infirm foreigner visits Thailand with his private nurse, on tourist visas, that nurse would be breaking the law. 

And what about all the Arab families coming to BKk with there Phillipines house maids. 

Most of these wedding photographers from China works in groups, and they have a Thai tourist guide with them to assist. 

So in this case someone must have warned the immigration, maybe a local who didn't like the competition.You can make big money on this. 

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Yes, but in SE Asia it is common to hear people referred to as being Chinese even if they hold a passport of another country. It may not be official but it is common way to define origin and racial type and "Chinese" was one option used in UK censuses until very recently.

This is true.

There are some though that would say that no matter what passport they hold that they will always belong to the motherland.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, Jimi007 said:

No one can work on a tourist visa or retirement visa. And a work permit is required for most everything, including volunteer work.

I posed this Question a few weeks ago and the answer i got was since May we can do volunteer work with no pay,can anyone clarify this ????     :post-4641-1156694572:

15 hours ago, balo said:

Most of these wedding photographers from China works in groups, and they have a Thai tourist guide with them to assist. 

So in this case someone must have warned the immigration, maybe a local who didn't like the competition.You can make big money on this. 

I have never seen a thai with them in kamala.
on the roads or beach

Noticeably;, they have been absent in town and on the beach the last 2 days  LOL

On 1/10/2019 at 10:39 AM, KittenKong said:

Because they could be Chinese and not foreign. Plus the crime is working while being foreign, not working while being Chinese.

Semantic misdirection. They are either Chinese or they aren't. Foreign is a relative term. 

I suspect that the political correctness demonstrated here would not apply to persons of other types of 'foreigness' at this point in time. 

Also I find it extremely unlikely that 'non-Chinese foreigners' would be contracting with Chinese companies for the work. The Chinese economy just doesn't work that way. The common term for it is protectionism. 

The government knows who butters their bread these days. 

On 1/10/2019 at 10:49 AM, moe666 said:

They should check out Chiang Mai lots of them around Thapae gate

Why would the Phuket authorities have any interest in Chiang Mai- or has it been annexed to the south?

It was nice to see yesterday that instead of the 8 or so gangs normally working Kamala (which IS in Phuket) narry a one was about town or on the beach.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:21 AM, KittenKong said:

NO ONE CARES!!!!!!! 

9 out of ten pages about wedding photographers working illegal have been about what constitutes being Chinese for god's sake. 

Archived