Shampoo rip off

owl sees all

I'm not sure this topic is in the right section. But, never mind. There is no 'RANT' section; yet!

I've been using a shampoo (see pic) and it is fantastic. Use it for body and beard and as a shaving gel. It smells (this one) of peas, and I've often been complimented on the lingering body smell after using it. It comes in different smells; vanilla, peach, wild berries even durian.

The cost is just 40 baht for the shampoo. It's great value for money! Except that it says its contents are 1 litre and it is not nearly as much. I have measured it this morning and it is just shy of 0.8 litres.

Given that this 800 is well short of 1000, I tried to contact the rip-off merchant concerned. No luck as yet but when I go back to town I'll confront the shop that is complicit in all this. I know it's the container and poor labeling but the shop must know it's wrong.

shampoo-02.jpg.c64c8d8d461a84a3b571d5349c855936.jpg

Has any member on TVForum had experience of this particular container?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, petermik said:

40 baht??????????? and your complaining about not getting the full amount.....beggars belief....and I thought I was the number one cheap charlie here :whistling:

It's either right or it's not. Why say it's 1 litre when it is not? I'm going to the top with this one.

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

It smells (this one) of peas, and I've often been complimented on the lingering body smell after using it.

Strange. Do they make one that smells of pie and chips also?

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Except that it says its contents are 1 litre and it is not nearly as much. I have measured it this morning and it is just shy of 0.8 litres.

Given that this 800 is well short of 1000,

Not easy to see from your photo, but are you sure that it doesnt say 1000g rather than 1000ml?

1000g of dense shampoo could have a volume of only 800ml.

15 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Not easy to see from your photo, but are you sure that it doesn't say 1000g rather than 1000ml?

1000g of dense shampoo could have a volume of only 800ml.

I'm going to check this out KK. My wife says it is 1 litre but she doesn't share my fact-finding enthusiasm in all this. And could be saying anything 'cause she don't use it; or care even. 

I've just checked the mouthwash and some of the water bottles. They are fine. It's just the shampoo. And this container is also used for conditioner; but I don't use that.

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

My wife says it is 1 litre but she doesn't share my fact-finding enthusiasm in all this.

Well there is a surprise.

Shocking that you are paying 40B for 32B worth of product.

I think at 40 baht a bottle I would buy 6 bottles lest the price goes up.

Too bad you don't put as much effort into knowing what the actual ingredients are in the chemical concoction you are using.  @ 40 baht, I doubt you are getting anything considered "safe" in markets where such things count. Many of the fragrances used in the cheap perfumes and scents available in Asia are derived from very dangerous chemicals.

35 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

It's either right or it's not. Why say it's 1 litre when it is not? I'm going to the top with this one.

For the same reason they say there is no prostitution or corruption! Bending the truth is a national pastime.

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe it says the bottle is one ltr,but they put 800 ml in,

whatever "much ado about nothing". and at 40 THB a bottle

what the hell's in it,washing up liquid with pea effervesce ! 

regards Worgeordie

No!

I've just tipped out all the contents and filled the container up with water. It only holds 795ml.

Corruption seems to be everywhere in Thailand. They don't call it LOS (Land of Shampoo-rip-off) for nowt!

50 minutes ago, petermik said:

40 baht??????????? and your complaining about not getting the full amount.....beggars belief....and I thought I was the number one cheap charlie here :whistling:

The original post has to be a wind up.............surely no one in their right mind would take the time to post or be worried about something so trivial?

35 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

My wife says it is 1 litre but she doesn't share my fact-finding enthusiasm in all this. And could be saying anything 'cause she don't use it; or care even. 

They can be like that. But

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

...I've often been complimented on the lingering body smell after using it.

I take it the compliments are not coming from your disinterested wife then?

21 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Shocking that you are paying 40B for 32B worth of product.

I'm glad you agree VN.

The other day I was shopping in Tesco and noticed that their cat food had jumped up in price from 34 to 39 for 400g. I wasn't prepared to pay the asking price, so I walked up to Big C (about 1kl away) and bought three cans of their cat food for 32 baht a tin. BUT, when I got to check-out they charged me 34 baht a tin. I paid, but went straight to customer services, and after a 10 minute wait in the queue, the lady reimbursed me 6 baht, with a smile. I obviously hadn't been the first to point out the incorrect pricing. 

Then I walked back to Tesco where the wife was waiting for me.

It's worth paying attention to prices.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They can be like that. But

I take it the compliments are not coming from your disinterested wife then?

Bang on the money NL. 

The trick is to use the shampoo as a body wash and not to actually wash off the shampoo. Otherwise, what's the point of any smell. Let it dry and go out amongst the people.

Their pricing seems to be very iffy !!

The other day was looking at some Yaksa statues for the garden, they were 2,900 for the pair or 1,400 each !
I told him via the gf that I would buy one for 1,400 and then another for 1,400 straight afterwards ( jokingly) , he said okay so that’s what I did !
Poor guy looked a bit bemused by my tomfoolery but happy to have made a sale .

57 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Not easy to see from your photo, but are you sure that it doesnt say 1000g rather than 1000ml?

My daughter is off school today and she confirms that it says 1000 milli-litres. There is a little 'u' followed by a letter, that looks like a scribbled 'n'.

shampoo-04.jpg

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Instead of "confronting" them why not offer the pro rata price for 800ml @ 40baht per litre when you make your next purchase?

Possibly everyone could end up smiling if handled "sensitively".

If that fails torch the shop.

Just now, beau thai said:

If you think that's a rip off then dont buy a quart of ice cream for 299bht at swensen. it's less than 1/8th-until they redined the term quart from quart(er) of a gallon.

In another thread this week a member proposed a club where we (TVForum members) could form as a pressure group. It was suggested that the group be called FART (shortened). Your post is precisely where the group/club could be used.

I have set a target of 8k per month to live on. I couldn't afford swensen.

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

My daughter is off school today and she confirms that it says 1000 milli-litres. There is a little 'u' followed by a letter, that looks like a scribbled 'n'.

Fair enough. It was worth checking.

In that case I suspect that the problem may be that they changed the bottle size without updating the label details (or vice versa). That doesnt help you, of course. I've noticed that Head and Shoulders do all sorts of different bottle sizes, sometimes with just 10 or 20 ml difference between two types of the same brand of shampoo.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I've noticed that Head and Shoulders do all sorts of different bottle sizes, sometimes with just 10 or 20 ml difference between two types of the same brand of shampoo.

I don't think I've had two H&S bottles the same size in 14 years here (ok, slight exageration, but I get the point). Not sure why, marketing ploy, buying up stock destined for other markets, who really knows?

30 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm glad you agree VN.

The other day I was shopping in Tesco and noticed that their cat food had jumped up in price from 34 to 39 for 400g. I wasn't prepared to pay the asking price, so I walked up to Big C (about 1kl away) and bought three cans of their cat food for 32 baht a tin. BUT, when I got to check-out they charged me 34 baht a tin. I paid, but went straight to customer services, and after a 10 minute wait in the queue, the lady reimbursed me 6 baht, with a smile. I obviously hadn't been the first to point out the incorrect pricing. 

Then I walked back to Tesco where the wife was waiting for me.

It's worth paying attention to prices.

Cool thread..wot a larf!

35 minutes ago, madmen said:

I knew I shouldnt have clicked on this thread. Now I'm looking at all the contents in my pantry with deep suspicion

I know, now I am measuring everything!

I bought a refill bag od dish soap that said 585 ml, but it just filled up a 500 ml bottle! Help! It was 58 baht for 585 ml, that means a lost at least 2 baht.

Im leaving!

Archived