Shampoo rip off

owl sees all

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

You are a hairdresser then? What do you think of a shampoo that smells like peas and costs 40 baht for a jug? Good stuff?

No, I just like to keep my hand in. Of course it's good stuff. Anything that doesn't smell fishy is.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, naboo said:

The OP thinks he smells of pea. With shampoo at 40B/(littlebitlessthana)litre, I'd be willing to bet most are saying he smells like pee.

I put a serious topic up for sensible and educated discussion and you reduce it to bikeshed humour. Scottiejohn and chickinlegs need you the joke section. 

I'm going to town tomorrow and I'll get the durian shampoo. 

Will report back!

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I put a serious topic up for sensible and educated discussion and you reduce it to bikeshed humour. Scottiejohn and chickinlegs need you the joke section. 

Will report back!

You are one hell of a tough dude...

The Durian Covenant.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, owl sees all said:

I've been using a shampoo (see pic) and it is fantastic. Use it for body and beard and as a shaving gel. It smells (this one) of peas, and I've often been complimented on the lingering body smell after using it. It comes in different smells; vanilla, peach, wild berries even durian.

The cost is just 40 baht for the shampoo. It's great value for money! Except that it says its contents are 1 litre and it is not nearly as much. I have measured it this morning and it is just shy of 0.8 litres.

Given that this 800 is well short of 1000, I tried to contact the rip-off merchant concerned. No luck as yet but when I go back to town I'll confront the shop that is complicit in all this. I know it's the container and poor labeling but the shop must know it's wrong.

Jesus wept..  Get a life or a job...

10 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

You are one hell of a tough dude...

The Durian Covenant.

Thanks for the kind words Ody. I'm proud to be a man of the people. Not one of these wispy, washy characters (of which there are more than a few) on TVForum who shoot imaginary bullets from imaginary guns.

The last couple of times I've been to the store (Happy Mart, and not as previously stated; Happy Store/Shop) the Durian blend has been sold out. I've tried Peach, Tamarind and the one I'm using right now; Butterfly Pea. (I only said Marrowfat Pea, as a jest, to quell some of the jokers). Now I'm sorry I said Marrowfat, as it could have been a little misleading, for some of the more serious posters.

It's really creamy and gets up a decent lather. Also, it has Vitamins and Anthocyanin added. And at 40 baht a litre we can't do much better (although I'm going to try). All the salons use it and if you get your hair washed, in one of their establishments*, for the 25 baht standard charge, they use copious amounts.

As you know bro', I'm in a programme of monitoring the cost of cheap living in Isaan, so I'm always looking for great value for money goodies. This shampoo is the nuts in that regard.

* Not the Happy Ending salons.

28 minutes ago, GLewis said:

Jesus wept..  Get a life or a job...

Thanks for your interest GLewis.

I think you should try the shampoo I'm on about. If you can't get it your area let me know through PM and I will see what I can do.

I saw "wild naturals" on the OP shampoo, out of curiosity I typed it on Lazada... here is what I found. 

But please, please OP promise me not to make a cardiac arrest looking at those prices of the shampoos, it was not premeditated at all, and I would be angry with myself for the rest of my:huh: life if my answer were to have such a dire  consequence :huh:

Screenshot 2019-01-11 at 15.21.43.png

7 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I saw "wild naturals" on the OP shampoo, out of curiosity I typed it on Lazada... here is what I found. 

But please, please OP promise me not to make a cardiac arrest looking at those prices of the shampoos, it was not premeditated at all, and I would be angry with myself for the rest of my:huh: life if my answer were to have such a dire  consequence :huh:

I am shocked to say the least (at the prices) but!!!

Tchooptip, could you do all the posters a big favour, and order a few different bottles. When you get them tip out the shampoo and find out if you actually get the volume that it says on the container. 

Thanks in advance. 

I bought a 2 kilo bag of frozen peas recently at a well known supermarket, on the pack it said average contents 1000 peas, out of interest i decided to count them and got interrupted mid count several times. The final tally was 999 peas but they had all thawed out by the time i was finished so i threw them away. The moral of the story is that i would have been far better off buying shampoo.

9 minutes ago, IssanMichael said:

I bought a 2 kilo bag of frozen peas recently at a well known supermarket, on the pack it said average contents 1000 peas, out of interest i decided to count them and got interrupted mid count several times. The final tally was 999 peas but they had all thawed out by the time i was finished so i threw them away. The moral of the story is that i would have been far better off buying shampoo.

I don't want to question your counting ability Isaan Michael but 999 could have been correct, as it said 'average contents 1000'. Could be that a TVForum member has a pack containing 1001 peas? Get counting guys.

But seriously, get the 'Wild naturals' from a Happy Mart store. Lazada's stuff might be OK, though a tad expensive.

49 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks for the kind words Ody. I'm proud to be a man of the people. Not one of these wispy, washy characters (of which there are more than a few) on TVForum who shoot imaginary bullets from imaginary guns.

The last couple of times I've been to the store (Happy Mart, and not as previously stated; Happy Store/Shop) the Durian blend has been sold out. I've tried Peach, Tamarind and the one I'm using right now; Butterfly Pea. (I only said Marrowfat Pea, as a jest, to quell some of the jokers). Now I'm sorry I said Marrowfat, as it could have been a little misleading, for some of the more serious posters.

It's really creamy and gets up a decent lather. Also, it has Vitamins and Anthocyanin added. And at 40 baht a litre we can't do much better (although I'm going to try). All the salons use it and if you get your hair washed, in one of their establishments*, for the 25 baht standard charge, they use copious amounts.

As you know bro', I'm in a programme of monitoring the cost of cheap living in Isaan, so I'm always looking for great value for money goodies. This shampoo is the nuts in that regard.

* Not the Happy Ending salons.

Dear Owl,

I admire your writing prowess-it is positively Dickensian!

I almost expected you to commence with..

"It was the best of shampoos,it was the worst of shampoos.."

But we have skipped that to 'Jarndyce V. Jarndyce"

Well done and I must say that I am enjoying the thread immensely..

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

Dear Owl,

I admire your writing prowess-it is positively Dickensian!

I almost expected you to commence with..

"It was the best of shampoos,it was the worst of shampoos.."

But we have skipped that to 'Jarndyce V. Jarndyce"

Well done and I must say that I am enjoying the thread immensely..

Once again Ody; thank you. But,,, you have slightly missed the point of the topic.

The shampoo is indeed excellent. If it was rubbish, I would be even more vociferous. It is the volume of the contents that are of real concern to me. We are - at least the ones buying the shampoo - being ripped off due to the short measure.

It is silly to suggest that we check if we are getting the correct amount when we buy, but this thread has demonstrated that we must be on our guard against the rip-off merchants.

I'm delighted that you are enjoying the thread immensely. Of course, this is a bonus. Most posters are content simply to be enlightened, but if they enjoy it too; well that's just great. Put's a spring in my step too.

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I am shocked to say the least (at the prices) but!!!

Tchooptip, could you do all the posters a big favour, and order a few different bottles. When you get them tip out the shampoo and find out if you actually get the volume that it says on the container. 

Thanks in advance. 

I hope no offence owl sees all, I reckon my post was to joke but it was not my first intention, I type the name I saw on your bottle and found those prices. With one bottle one could buy one more than a hundred litres of your own (sorry 80 litres :smile:) But I understand your feeling it is a matter of principles, you do not grumble for the 20% missing from the 40 Bahts, but because when one buys something one has to find what's on the label and whatever the price. But do not make such an obsession of it, it's bad for you and in this country, we must all get used to that all the rules are rubber bands. A few days ago I discovered that in the concentrated milk,  there was 10% of palm oil, 10% of palm oil in milk I did not believe my eyes it is outrageous. Try to tell yourself that 40 Baht for 800 ml of shampoo is a good price since it seems you like it, and make a second effort to forget what you called rip-off trying to laugh at it by telling you, I managed to do 7 pages and over 100 answers with my 40 Bhats shampoo, it's not all the members that could do that. ????

6 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Try to tell yourself that 40 Baht for 800 ml of shampoo is a good price since it seems you like it, and make a second effort to forget what you called rip-off trying to laugh at it by telling you

You at are correct Tchooptip. I thank you for those concerning words. I really do need to get a life. But, before I do, i'll check out the contents of the 2 litre shampoo container that I'm buying tomorrow; and report back.

Some of the posts on this topic are astoundingly thought-provoking.

I'm taking note!

pp - 40 Baht for 800ml, when it says 1 litre or 1000ml?? Can't argue with the figures!

On 1/10/2019 at 12:08 PM, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money NL. 

The trick is to use the shampoo as a body wash and not to actually wash off the shampoo. Otherwise, what's the point of any smell. Let it dry and go out amongst the people.

THIS is a GREAT thread and I'm only on page 2 with 6 to go. I'm gettin' me a cold beer :clap2:

On 1/10/2019 at 12:19 PM, Enoon said:

Instead of "confronting" them why not offer the pro rata price for 800ml @ 40baht per litre when you make your next purchase?

Possibly everyone could end up smiling if handled "sensitively".

If that fails torch the shop.

LOL!! but I did need to clean up the beer :cheesy:

On 1/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, geriatrickid said:

Too bad you don't put as much effort into knowing what the actual ingredients are in the chemical concoction you are using.  @ 40 baht, I doubt you are getting anything considered "safe" in markets where such things count. Many of the fragrances used in the cheap perfumes and scents available in Asia are derived from very dangerous chemicals.

Yea you should know that ,you checked all them and got that on File haven't you.

This is classic Thailand. It's the same as if you go to some places and get a soda with no ice they will give you about half a glass because your ordered it without the ice. With ice is a full glass. Or coffee. You can order a 'cup' of takeaway brewed coffee only to open the lid and see it filled up half way. 

On 1/10/2019 at 12:39 PM, Nyezhov said:

I shave my entire body (except for one tuft you know where, to accentuate the positive) using Trumpers Coconut Cream (imported)

Then I never have to worry about shampoo, I can use whatever is around, bathroom cleaner, dish soap, etc. Lovely Lemon scent with the dish soap I got ripped off on.

I found a lovely manly aftershave for 122 baht in the Fresh Mart. I use it all the time. It has top notes of denatured alcohol and cheap vodka, that develops into a hazy mishmash of ersatz menthol and acetone, then mellows to a manly aroma of sweet diesel. Drive the girls nuts. Im going to measure it though.

:cheesy:

On 1/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, owl sees all said:

when I go back to town I'll confront the shop that is complicit in all this. I know it's the container and poor labeling but the shop must know it's wrong.

Dont waste your time! Their maths is so bad they will not have a clue what you are talking about.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I don't want to question your counting ability Isaan Michael but 999 could have been correct, as it said 'average contents 1000'. Could be that a TVForum member has a pack containing 1001 peas? Get counting guys.

But seriously, get the 'Wild naturals' from a Happy Mart store. Lazada's stuff might be OK, though a tad expensive.

Whats wrong with just soap for gods sake.

Im lucky that when my kid comes she buys real department store face wash and conditioner and shampoo and some spray stuff for girls and then leaves it here. Doesnt offset the cost of feeding her but it helps

On 1/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, worgeordie said:

Maybe it says the bottle is one ltr,but they put 800 ml in,

whatever "much ado about nothing". and at 40 THB a bottle

what the hell's in it,washing up liquid with pea effervesce ! 

regards Worgeordie

And would the fragrance be mushy or garden peas?

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Will report back!

Don’t try to enter a hotel after using it you will probably be barred.

Archived