Shampoo rip off

owl sees all

On 1/10/2019 at 5:08 AM, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money NL. 

The trick is to use the shampoo as a body wash and not to actually wash off the shampoo. Otherwise, what's the point of any smell. Let it dry and go out amongst the people.

So let me get this straight, some people don't mind you smelling of pea?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So let me get this straight, some people don't mind you smelling of pea?

I have some Tom Ford oud wood shower gel and as I have short hair I use it all over and I love the smell,it's pure luxury and great on my skin.Owl you better sit down it costs €63 for 250ml but I'm worth it.I guess in English English he means sweet pea it's a very popular flower that is grown to cut and put in vases and it perfumes the whole house but it's very flowery (if that's a word).

Just now, adammike said:

I have some Tom Ford oud wood shower gel and as I have short hair I use it all over and I love the smell,it's pure luxury and great on my skin.Owl you better sit down it costs €63 for 250ml but I'm worth it.I guess in English English he means sweet pea it's a very popular flower that is grown to cut and put in vases and it perfumes the whole house but it's very flowery (if that's a word).

Wasn't sweet pea called stinkin' Billy by the Scots on account of the Duke of Cumberland?

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Once again Ody; thank you. But,,, you have slightly missed the point of the topic.

The shampoo is indeed excellent. If it was rubbish, I would be even more vociferous. It is the volume of the contents that are of real concern to me. We are - at least the ones buying the shampoo - being ripped off due to the short measure.

It is silly to suggest that we check if we are getting the correct amount when we buy, but this thread has demonstrated that we must be on our guard against the rip-off merchants.

I'm delighted that you are enjoying the thread immensely. Of course, this is a bonus. Most posters are content simply to be enlightened, but if they enjoy it too; well that's just great. Put's a spring in my step too.

I might be missing the point (deliberately) but I sure as heck would like to raise a pint or two with you in a decent pub!

You are a natural raconteur..

If you really want to know about Shampoo see the Wikipedia entry... fascinating (if you're into the chemistry behind it)..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shampoo

Washing-up liquid (dish washing liquid) can also be used for hair, and is probably even cheaper (if you use the refill packs), ....and you don't mind smelling like a lemon.

4 minutes ago, adammike said:

I'm glad you feel that €250 a litre is an OK price just to 'splash it on all over'. I hope you are standing in a bowl when you administer it. Wouldn't want any running off your body and down the plug-hole at that price. Then you waeh it all off and you'd be lucky to smell of any wood at all, never mind old stuff.

Try the shampoo from Happy Mart, and treat yourself to a flagon of Lao Khow with the savings.

You must be from one of those hoity-toity provinces. €250 a litre. What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd rather drink it than,,,,. Fainted!

2 minutes ago, steve73 said:

If you really want to know about Shampoo see the Wikipedia entry... fascinating (if you're into the chemistry behind it)..

Washing-up liquid (dish washing liquid) can also be used for hair, and is probably even cheaper (if you use the refill packs), ....and you don't mind smelling like a lemon.

I'll catch up with that later steve73. Thanks! I'm not as much into the chemistry as the maths.

The washing-up as shampoo theme is interesting to me 'cause I used it for a long time. Also Vim. Not seen that for years.

My dear Mother was very thrifty. When we were small she would buy this soap, carbolic. I think it was. As we children got older she discovered cheaper; floor soap, it was called. I graduated onto washing-up liquid soon after that

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

My daughter has been cutting my hair since she was four (nine now). I trim my beard myself though.

I don't like soap or shower gel. Just use shampoo; splash it on all over.

Thai barber charges Bht 70 for haircut and shave, and trim all the other places, why not?

I find it pathetic for someone to say 'I don't like soap or shower gel'. Any particular reason? Shampoo is for hair, shower gel is for body. Soap is for anywhere.

I'll catch up with that later steve73. Thanks! I'm not as much into the chemistry as the maths.

The washing-up as shampoo theme is interesting to me 'cause I used it for a long time. Also Vim. Not seen that for years.

My dear Mother was very thrifty. When we were small she would buy this soap, carbolic. I think it was. As we children got older she discovered cheaper; floor soap, it was called. I graduated onto washing-up liquid soon after that
Vim was Albert Steptoe's choice for fragrant body wash!!!!mev-12001023.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Thai barber charges Bht 70 for haircut and shave, and trim all the other places, why not?

I find it pathetic for someone to say 'I don't like soap or shower gel'. Any particular reason? Shampoo is for hair, shower gel is for body. Soap is for anywhere.

Shampoo is good for anywhere (at least if you have some body hair).  Soap is terrible for hair... makes it very dry & stiff, which is fine if you want to "style" it...assuming you have some on top of course.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Well good for the barber. And good for you wgdanson, if you indulge. I wouldn't personally be so extravagant with my money.

I was turned off of soap years ago (see page 8).

As I said in an earlier post i'm seriously looking at Neem oil. Up 'til now I'd been using it to repel ants, but it lathers up particularly well. The smell leaves something to be desired,, but what the heck!! Who cares about us anyway?

4 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Shampoo is good for anywhere (at least if you have some body hair).  Soap is terrible for hair... makes it very dry & stiff, which is fine if you want to "style" it...assuming you have some on top of course.

And if you use Had and Shoulders, at least you will not get dandruff under you ochsters, chest, b....cks or a.....hole.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well good for the barber. And good for you wgdanson, if you indulge. I wouldn't personally be so extravagant with my money.

I was turned off of soap years ago (see page 8).

As I said in an earlier post i'm seriously looking at Neem oil. Up 'til now I'd been using it to repel ants, but it lathers up particularly well. The smell leaves something to be desired,, but what the heck!! Who cares about us anyway?

Good on you wise old owl. Started with you moaning about Bht 8, and look at the World problems we have solved. Keep it up mate. Cheers.

I find that as I get older, and the percentage of hair I have now compared to when I was in my twenties has dropped into single figures , I couldn’t care too much about what is actually in a shampoo anymore.

What’s more important now, like you Owl, is price and smell !

As my travelling days, and the free hotel shampoo that goes with it, are over I’ve had to put my hand in my pocket and pay actual money for my twice daily ritual now !!

( no mean feat as I’m from Yorkshire !! )

On meeting my gf’s brother for the first time he presented me with a half empty bottle of shampoo !!

As he has been a shaven headed monk for approximately 8 years I wondered

a) why he kept the shampoo for so long and

b) why did he think it was a fitting gift to offer his sisters suitor ??

Anyway, the smell of the shampoo is amazing !, a really nice smell which I can’t really put my finger on , my gf says it is rice .

I’ve used it ever since and bought 3 subsequent bottles.

No good for you though Owl, it’s 89 baht for a 250 ml bottle, well out of your price range !!

Any of your ancestors from Yorkshire ?

10 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No no no. Soap is an anionic surfactant. Shampoo is a nonionic surfactant. Soap would irritate your scalp if you used it like shampoo. Nonionic surfactants are much gentler.

My apologies on behalf of others, owl sees all. Some maladjusted posters are refusing to treat your topic seriously.

30 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Talking about the refill packs...I have an old bottle which contained originally 800 ml of the yellow lemony stuff...Fairy Liquid in old money. Buy a 820ml refill....it will not come up to the top of the bottle. Cheating Fairies.

Just now, Lacessit said:

No no no. Soap is an anionic surfactant. Shampoo is a nonionic surfactant. Soap would irritate your scalp if you used it like shampoo. Nonionic surfactants are much gentler.

My apologies on behalf of others, owl sees all. Some maladjusted posters are refusing to treat your topic seriously.

So if soap would irritate the scalp, why would it not irritate the bit just below ie my forehead.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I find that as I get older, and the percentage of hair I have now compared to when I was in my twenties has dropped into single figures , I couldn’t care too much about what is actually in a shampoo anymore.

As my travelling days, and the free hotel shampoo that goes with it, are over I’ve had to put my hand in my pocket and pay actual money for my twice daily ritual now !!

On meeting my gf’s brother for the first time he presented me with a half empty bottle of shampoo !!

Anyway, the smell of the shampoo is amazing !, a really nice smell which I can’t really put my finger on , my gf says it is rice .

No good for you though Owl, it’s 89 baht for a 250 ml bottle, well out of your price range !!

Make and model please Andrew.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I still have as many hair follicles as I did in my 20s. But for comfort and ease, I go for a No. 2 once a month...70Bht. Even though like you, I shower twice a day, I only use shampoo once a week. The hair's still there, and growing regularly.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So if soap would irritate the scalp, why would it not irritate the bit just below ie my forehead.

I'm assuming your scalp has hair follicles. They open up when warm or hot water is applied to them. Soap - a compound of sodium hydroxide and fatty acids - gets into the follicles and irritates them. Nonionic surfactants do not.

If you have hair on your forehead, I would find that quite scary.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm assuming your scalp has hair follicles. They open up when warm or hot water is applied to them. Soap - a compound of sodium hydroxide and fatty acids - gets into the follicles and irritates them. Nonionic surfactants do not.

If you have hair on your forehead, I would find that quite scary.

Thank you. Yours faithfully, King Kong.

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

It sounds fine to me, but are you sure you are actually getting 250ml?

Tip it out and pour in some water from a measuring jug. Or weigh it. And report back to the team.

Just a word about measuring volume; watch out for the meniscus.

2 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Where is purchase this shampoo? Big-C, Tesco, ... I want smell like pea.

Happy Mart is the supermarket chain where I get it.

Don't be fooled into buying copies. And get the 2 litre bottle. The '1 litre' bottle is the rip-off.

Just now, Benroon said:

Your wife hit the jackpot when she found you eh ! ????

Slightly droll Benroon.

If you read my input into 'Poison Brother in Law' you might not say that.

Anyway; have you tried the shampoo yet?

Archived