Same Same! After the deadly days road carnage continues as normal

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that following the "seven deadly days of New Year" the carnage on the Thai roads was continuing. 

They said that 43 died yesterday at the scene of accidents.

They cautioned that this was not an official figure of the number of deaths - it would rise as those who die in hospitals are added to the list. 

Thaivisa notes that the average daily death toll is usually at least 60 when all figures are collated. 

Daily News reported that at least 40 people had died at the scene on four days since the New Year "deadly" period ended. 

They showed a video of a pick-up crashing into a central divider warning particularly about guarding against falling asleep at the wheel.

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thaivisa notes that thousands of signs have gone up in Thailand that say in red and black lettering by the roadside: "Nguang - Jort Phak" (Sleepy - stop and rest). 

The large signs are in Thai only - not English.

The news media publish figures every day in an ongoing campaign to try and raise awareness about the situation on the Thai roads that are reckoned to be some of the most dangerous in the world if not the worst. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-10

If there is one thing that Thailand and its people never seem to learn different from many other countries and people is. They never learn from their mistakes and will continue to do the same thing. So expect in another 20 years headlines like this.

It should be same same never changes.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Give me one good reason why it should change, given that Thailand has similar police strength, proportionate to road-users as UK & US, but sadly lacks any one with the balls to tell them to get off their backsides, into their gleaming Highway Police patrol cars and do what the UK and US police do, simply to make drivers scared to break the laws, all of which have been written with the intention of saving life, not just to give the cops the thrill of the chase, with the blues-&-toots letting everyone know that there is a working police force in the country.

The video reminds me of the fairground attraction - dodgems/bumper cars. Only this is the grown-ups version.

If you were playing this as a video game, after a crash you would no doubt see the message "You lose one life. Penalty: wait thirty seconds".

Oh, come to think of it, that's exactly how buddhists play this in real life...

It will never get better, only worse, as more vehicles hit the road every year and the roads become more crowded.  With no rigorous MOT testing to remove rolling wrecks from the roads and no proper testing of drivers for every class of vehicle, adequate Law Enforcement etc, there is no way anything can ever get any better.   Combine all that with what my Wife warned me about the first time I ever came here and it's a recipe for continued carnage on a grand scale.   She said...''The biggest problem we have in Thailand is ATTITUDE ''.   Never a truer word was spoken !

Ypu're right. I used to own a nice Peugeot, which I had to have tested. I took it to the local mechanic to check it over first, and when I collected it, he proudly said he found a big problem, which he had removed. When I asked what it was, he showed me a small pile of what looked like stones. The bugger had emptied the catalytic converter.

Anyway, I had already booked at the testing station, so along I went, on the same day, and was astonished when he put the detector up the exhaust pipe (that always makes me wince) and promptly passed the vehicle emissions, which, since the cat was just an empty tin box, could not possibly have been right.

Of course I might just not understand the Thai testing process.

50 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

And what of the vehicle that is following who does use his brakes in a gradual way but does nothing to avoid the collision?  I would describe that as equally stupid as it was very avoidable IMO.

They get confused very easily. My former wife (proud owner of a 5000THB licence for 20 odd years, was confronted my a mini-flood (actually it was just a large-ish puddle on the road.

On went the lights, right indicator, left indicator, horn in quick succession. Lowed down to 5km/hour, and finally she just drove through the puddle without further incident.

How to confuse a chook...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that the average daily death toll is usually at least 60 when all figures are collated

If thats correct it means at least 21,900 people die through road accidents, thats a lot of people.

If they did not have these accidents I think Thailand's population would outnumber the Chinese by now. ????????????

50 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

And what of the vehicle that is following who does use his brakes in a gradual way but does nothing to avoid the collision?  I would describe that as equally stupid as it was very avoidable IMO.

They get confused very easily. My former wife (proud owner of a 5000THB licence for 20 odd years), was confronted my a mini-flood (actually it was just a large-ish puddle on the road.

On went the lights, right indicator, left indicator, horn. Lowed down to 5km/hour, and finally she just drove through the puddle without further incident.

How to confuse a chook...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The news media publish figures every day in an ongoing campaign to try and raise awareness about the situation on the Thai roads that are reckoned to be some of the most dangerous in the world if not the worst. 

It baffles me that the only people the seem to be aware that Thailand has some of the worlds most  dangerous roads are the members of this forum.  

The so called 7 dangerous days that are shoved down our throats every holiday season are just a pointless attempt to try and make us believe that somebody, somewhere in the higher echelons of Thai society actually cares about trying to improve road safety. 

The only really surprising thing about any of this death race lunatic carnage is that for some unearthly reason, people on this site and people in the media keep expecting something to change! It is somewhat similar to the old adage of stupidity, keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. There is no cure for stupidity, nature will eventually weed them out over time, it could take millenia, but imagine that then, the Thais may become the smartest people on earth if enough of their sub normal retarded drivers are culled along the way as per Mr. Darwin.

It is all about EDUCATION ! 

Starts with educating the Police , the parents , the school teachers ...

Because if as a child you see all those parents , police without helmets in their free time , this all Mai pen rai mentality, 

And very selfish driving ! 

And this goes on and on . 

Not only in the traffic but in their total behavior ...

i have most of my staff quitting their job without prior notice ...Even after years of service ..... They just don’t care ! They just don’t show up . 

Once again : it’s about respect and education . And that starts at the bottom of the ladder . 

Parents , school etc ...,

EDUCATION !

2 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

No reaction time when renewing my licence had to do a reaction test with accelerater and brake pedal nearly all thais failed but went on to get new or renew their licence.

Archived