BANGKOK 23 January 2019 20:14
webfact

Foreigner Dies In Possible Traffic Suicide Near Khaosan Road

Foreigner Dies In Possible Traffic Suicide Near Khaosan Road

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

49900325_500368213820845_912146527051317

BANGKOK — A foreigner was killed by a bus Thursday morning on Phra Sumen Road in Bangkok’s old quarter.

Police were alerted just after 9am that an air-conditioned bus No. 516 had run over a Caucasian man near the Bang Lamphu intersection. The man’s identity and nationality were not yet available.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2019/01/10/foreigner-dies-in-possible-traffic-suicide-near-khaosan-road/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-10

How can they tell it's a suicide ?

"A witness said the man had been walking back and forth across the road many times this morning before he laid down on the road just as the bus was coming, according to Capt. Rattakarn Thongthai of Chana Songkram police."

Firstly let me say I only go down to Bangkok once every couple of years, but It seems an odd way to commit suicide - not certain to gain the result he was hoping for, if it was a vehicle with high ground clearance for instance?

A lot of the traffic tends to be slow moving from what I remember, and laying down on the road  - hoping to be run over - defies much logic. Having said that, he poor guy must have been under stress to do that anyway.

18 minutes ago, balo said:

How can they tell it's a suicide ?

First of all, may he R.I.P.!

Then, if it is a foreigner, it is usually called a "suicide". Instead of admitting that Thais make mistakes or, god forbid, murder other people, it is rather assumed that 'crazy foreigners' travel all the way to Thailand to commit suicide! 😉

Btw, I recently travelled by bus from Chatuchak BTS past the Department of Land Transport. The bus driver ran over a motorbike right then and there. But I didn't hear anyone suggesting that the motorbike rider was trying to commit suicide... 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

"A witness said the man had been walking back and forth across the road many times this morning before he laid down on the road just as the bus was coming, according to Capt. Rattakarn Thongthai of Chana Songkram police."

Firstly let me say I only go down to Bangkok once every couple of years, but It seems an odd way to commit suicide - not certain to gain the result he was hoping for, if it was a vehicle with high ground clearance for instance?

A lot of the traffic tends to be slow moving from what I remember, and laying down on the road  - hoping to be run over - defies much logic. Having said that, he poor guy must have been under stress to do that anyway.

Drugs or mental illness make folks do odd things...remember that dude that ran into the fire at Burning Man last year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are air conditioned buses more dangerous than ones with all their windows open,that is the big question.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Of course he deliberately ran in front of the CONDITIONED BUS  to commit SUICIDE. SO, where is the proof of that assumption?

Edited by mickymouse1
Spelling correction
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, winnerinsix said:

You might want read the story in the link before commenting....

Maybe he just became tired after walking back and forth, and just needed a little lay down. 😜

Nearly every time I cross the road here I think I am inviting death. Does that qualify as suicide?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Nearly every time I cross the road here I think I am inviting death. Does that qualify as suicide?

Are you a foreigner?

• Haha 1