Foreigner Dies In Possible Traffic Suicide Near Khaosan Road

webfact

Foreigner Dies In Possible Traffic Suicide Near Khaosan Road

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

49900325_500368213820845_912146527051317

BANGKOK — A foreigner was killed by a bus Thursday morning on Phra Sumen Road in Bangkok’s old quarter.

Police were alerted just after 9am that an air-conditioned bus No. 516 had run over a Caucasian man near the Bang Lamphu intersection. The man’s identity and nationality were not yet available.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2019/01/10/foreigner-dies-in-possible-traffic-suicide-near-khaosan-road/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-10

5 minutes ago, balo said:

How can they tell it's a suicide ?

You might want read the story in the link before commenting....

"A witness said the man had been walking back and forth across the road many times this morning before he laid down on the road just as the bus was coming, according to Capt. Rattakarn Thongthai of Chana Songkram police."

"A witness said the man had been walking back and forth across the road many times this morning before he laid down on the road just as the bus was coming, according to Capt. Rattakarn Thongthai of Chana Songkram police."

Firstly let me say I only go down to Bangkok once every couple of years, but It seems an odd way to commit suicide - not certain to gain the result he was hoping for, if it was a vehicle with high ground clearance for instance?

A lot of the traffic tends to be slow moving from what I remember, and laying down on the road  - hoping to be run over - defies much logic. Having said that, he poor guy must have been under stress to do that anyway.

18 minutes ago, balo said:

First of all, may he R.I.P.!

Then, if it is a foreigner, it is usually called a "suicide". Instead of admitting that Thais make mistakes or, god forbid, murder other people, it is rather assumed that 'crazy foreigners' travel all the way to Thailand to commit suicide! ????

Btw, I recently travelled by bus from Chatuchak BTS past the Department of Land Transport. The bus driver ran over a motorbike right then and there. But I didn't hear anyone suggesting that the motorbike rider was trying to commit suicide... 

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Firstly let me say I only go down to Bangkok once every couple of years, but It seems an odd way to commit suicide - not certain to gain the result he was hoping for, if it was a vehicle with high ground clearance for instance?

A lot of the traffic tends to be slow moving from what I remember, and laying down on the road  - hoping to be run over - defies much logic. Having said that, he poor guy must have been under stress to do that anyway.

Drugs or mental illness make folks do odd things...remember that dude that ran into the fire at Burning Man last year?

1 hour ago, winnerinsix said:

You might want read the story in the link before commenting....

Maybe he just became tired after walking back and forth, and just needed a little lay down. ????

7 minutes ago, mickymouse1 said:

Of course he deliberately ran in front of the CONDITIONED BUS  to commit SUICIDE. SO, where is the proof of that assumption?

He didn't run in front of the bus, he laid down in front of the bus as mentioned in the article and a number of posts. 

25 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Are air conditioned buses more dangerous than ones with all their windows open,that is the big question.

Cos they go faster to get the breeze up so it must have been a slower air con bus favored for the suicidal ????

Unidentified western man crushed to death by Bangkok bus

By The Nation

19d159b9b47a8d98541c6f81eef5444a-sld.jpe

An unidentified western man was hit and killed by a bus in Bangkok's Phra Nakhon district in what appeared to be a suicide, police said.

Police said the man was hit by the bus on Phra Sumen Road in front of Wat Borworniwet.

The man wore a T-shirt and shorts and had no identification documents. He had 200 euros in cash on him.

The bus conductor told police that the man jumped off the pavement and lay down in front of the bus. The bus could not stop in time and the man was crushed under the left rear wheel.

The conductor said the man lay down about two metres ahead of the bus.

Witnesses told police that the man earlier jumped in front of cars several times but the cars managed to stop before hitting him.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361979

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-10

2 hours ago, balo said:

Meaby because he laid down on the street for some reason 

if you look on you tube you will see this happening in meny countries 

For suicide or just something I would not know people also try jump on a car so it looks as car hit them for get money 

Meny weird people out there 

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

Witnesses told police that the man earlier jumped in front of cars several times but the cars managed to stop before hitting him.

So maybe he could have been saved if someone tried to communicate with him , I don't know , it's a sad case. RIP. 

2 hours ago, seahorse said:

It qualifies as a death wish. 

Not if you stand next to an old lady about to cross the street, keep her on the side of the incoming and walk with her.

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

His hands were tied behind his back....

Ah,  I remember that one. How many years ago was it - 15/20?

Tied to a pier support under the water in Pattaya, with hands tied behind his back to the support. Police recorded that one as suicide.

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Ah,  I remember that one. How many years ago was it - 15/20?

Tied to a pier support under the water in Pattaya, with hands tied behind his back to the support. Police recorded that one as suicide.

3 years ago. French guy. Wasn't under the water when he was tied up. The tide came in.

Archived