Monkey Massacre? Macaques Drop Dead From ‘Poisoned Watermelon’

webfact

Monkey Massacre? Macaques Drop Dead From ‘Poisoned Watermelon’

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

49633342_2315894891976018_71166167648588

Monkey bodies are lined up Wednesday near a khlong in Baan Yaang Ngam community of Rayong province.

RAYONG — Dying monkeys fell from trees foaming at the mouth in Rayong province and police are looking Thursday for who might have poisoned them.

At least 17 macaques were found dead yesterday by residents in the Baan Yaang Ngam community in Rayong’s Klaeng district, prompting police investigators to suspect foul play.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2019/01/10/monkey-massacre-macaques-drop-dead-from-poisoned-watermelon/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-10

Watermelons found near killed monkeys tested for poison

By Achara Wisetsri 
The Nation

e0dd71f1107c10f0e33fb868f5e088ef.jpeg

Half-eaten watermelons – found near the area where 20 long-tailed macaques were found dead in Rayong's Klaeng district – are being tested to determine if they were laced with poison, a source at the provincial forestry office said on Thursday.

9392b9707fd7a3e324684f2a1c5370b3.jpeg

Officials and local villagers suspect that a farmer might have laced the watermelons with poison to harm long-tailed macaques that have recently intruded on farms, a source said.

8b3f08ca9167385d1036904531dd0ce1.jpeg

Klaeng precinct superintendent Pil Colonel Chaiyapong Saengpongchai said that police were investigating.

The local community meanwhile held a funeral prayer for the deceased long-tailed macaques and buried the carcasses in Wat Yang Ngam's ground.

Some 20 long-tailed macaque carcasses were found near half-eaten watermelons on a canal bank in a forest near Ban Yang Ngam (Moo 5) village in tambon Krasae Bon at 11am on Wednesday. 

c347c931a137f2747658fbddbfdb20e2.jpeg

Village headman Sathit Kaewkla said the sub-district's forest had a shrine of Chao Por Yang Ngam that villagers worshipped. 

About 200 long-tailed macaques live and usually hunt for food in the area of the shrine. However, this drought season might have driven the primates to hunt in the canal area near farms.

He said the poisoning could have killed more than 20 monkeys as many might have fled into forest before the poison took effect. 

Krasae Bon kamnan Boonseub Klaewkla, concurring with the suspicion that the monkeys were poisoned due to farm intrusion. 

He said community leaders would tell people not to kill the protected animals and would have volunteers guard farms to chase away long-tailed macaques.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361982

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-10

Wish I could generate some sympathy but on more than one occasion I have been harassed by these pests and in one case chased by several until I gave up my food. It's high time more watermelons were treated and left for their ravenous appetites.

15 hours ago, oldrunner said:

Wish I could generate some sympathy but on more than one occasion I have been harassed by these pests and in one case chased by several until I gave up my food. It's high time more watermelons were treated and left for their ravenous appetites.

Agreed, a temple near to me is literally infested with monkeys... no-one can enter the temple without being harassed by them. They have lost the ability to fend for themselves but rely on the food at the temples, and if you don't give them something they will attack you. People have been bitten, scratched, jumped on etc

one day I witnessed a school trip of elementary age children who were scattered screaming when they were pounced upon.

The Monkeys were here first. Its a problem that exists all over the world, hell look at the East Coast of the USA where the burbs are overrun with deer.

It would be cheap for the authorities anywhere this is a problem to set up electronic poppers

14 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

The Monkeys were here first. Its a problem that exists all over the world, hell look at the East Coast of the USA where the burbs are overrun with deer.

It would be cheap for the authorities anywhere this is a problem to set up electronic poppers

Okay. You got me. What's an "electronic popper"?

I tried Wiki. It took me to electronic popcorn makers and "poppers" as a sex drug.

I'm going to guess at an electronic popper being a motion sensor activated noise maker that pops (makes a bang) and scares the monkeys off.

1 minute ago, neeray said:

Okay. You got me. What's an "electronic popper"?

I tried Wiki. It took me to electronic popcorn makers and "poppers" as a sex drug.

I'm going to guess at an electronic popper being a motion sensor activated noise maker that pops (makes a bang) and scares the monkeys off.

Thats what I call it I dont know the technical name. Farmers use them in the US as do the FAA to scare birds. Launches a loud cracker either on a timer or motion sensor. they can also be set up via wires on the ground. 

Archived