ThaiSauce

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it makes the roads safer for others,no problem

for me,if you have everything in order,insurance,

tax,license, on motor bike wear helmet,maybe

if someone crashes into you and are not insured

you'll be saying should be more check points.

regards worgeordie

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

did not have to wait long ????

Hungry....read as desperate.

I was in a checkpoint during new year and he told me I couldnt put my feet on the back pegs.

"we not ride like this in Thailand" he said.

I told him this is how i ride and this is how i will continue to ride. I probably have more riding and roadsense skills than the next ten people you will stop put together.

You just feel like telling them they would all be better served actually policing to prevent accidents rather than fining someone just before they kill themselves.

26 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Too the best of my knowledge the Senior Flang Officer with the 'Flang Tourist Police' is an Aussy, been there for years.

john

What a sad life for these people that could never be a police officer in their own country so they come here in hopes of acceptance.. 

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

The Aussie has been there at least a year and I think more !

No one seems to know who he is which is strange. 

Several years, in fact.  But these check stops are hardly new. They just come in waves. For a while you see them every day, then nothing for a few weeks, then back again.  I ride every day and so no longer get stopped, but they certainly are making money for the Widows & Orphan's Fund!

"What a sad life for these people that could never be a police officer in their own country so they come here in hopes of acceptance.. "

I understand that he was quite a senior officer in Australia before coming to live here, he wants to help the the Frangs here if and when they have problems with local law.

Do some checking on You Tube, there are vids on frangs assisting tourist police.

john

That would be fine if they are pulling random ppl over and checking for everything but they are just pulling foreigners and strickly for a IDP. That is where the easiest access to cash on these checkpoints is. Nothing to do with safety.  

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The one at the Maya pull everyone over.When I pull in and they see my face I get waived through, they remember me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If the police do nothing, everybody say that they have to work more and do something for the road safety. If they check the driver licenses and insurances and if the people wear helmets it´s also not good. So what do you want?

25 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

If the police do nothing, everybody say that they have to work more and do something for the road safety. If they check the driver licenses and insurances and if the people wear helmets it´s also not good. So what do you want?

How about stopping people running reds, jumping greens, blocking intersections, very loud bikes, drunks.....

@amepat, that is not how the police work in T'land.  They do not watch for moving violators of any kind.  They do, when so ordered, set up the road screens to nab those folks not following the custom/law.

Police also will attend a road accident, if called.

Yeah, different from USA. I mean, who could you catch on your 125cc motobike? 

I know how they work. The question was what do you want.  

We used to say it's hard to outrun a two-way radio. That would apply to cell phones today. 

Catching moving violators is just too much work for too little reward when you just can let the money come to you. 

There are two farang police that I am aware of. The Aussie has been on the force a number of years and was a police officer in Oz. The police say he is like a brother who may as well have been born here, as he understands and thinks like Thais. He also speaks fluent Thai and the Northern dialect. I witnessed him conduct an eviction/ejection down the street from me of a Thai couple. Even though there were 4 or more senior Thai police, he was clearly in charge of the operation.

The other guy works with the traffic police.

15 hours ago, lust said:

What a sad life for these people that could never be a police officer in their own country so they come here in hopes of acceptance.. 

No, not at all. I was a forensic scientist and crime analyst in the UK Police Service for 34 years. In 2010 I was giving a presentation to the ex-pat club in Chiang Rai along with another presentation from the local Tourist Police. As a result of my presentation, I was enthusiastically INVITED by the TP to become a volunteer for them. After consideration I accepted and now, 9 years later, I am still an active volunteer but now based in Isaan. I have never been out with police officers at vehicle checkpoints. My duties are specifically "tourist" based helping at our local airport and at a variety of festivals including Loi Krahtong, Songkran, Silk Festival and New Year. It is certainly not a sad life and I enjoy getting out to assist both farangs and Thais. 

Cannot change it. Same...get stopped twice whenever go into town to market. I just pull over when I see them and pull out my drivers license and point to current motorbike registration. They smile and thank me and I'm on my way. If you live here just get used to it. The ones having the most trouble are the Thais without helmets, no drivers license and registration. Never in 20 years been ask for money! Enjoy your day everyone.

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

No, not at all. I was a forensic scientist and crime analyst in the UK Police Service for 34 years. In 2010 I was giving a presentation to the ex-pat club in Chiang Rai along with another presentation from the local Tourist Police. As a result of my presentation, I was enthusiastically INVITED by the TP to become a volunteer for them. After consideration I accepted and now, 9 years later, I am still an active volunteer but now based in Isaan. I have never been out with police officers at vehicle checkpoints. My duties are specifically "tourist" based helping at our local airport and at a variety of festivals including Loi Krahtong, Songkran, Silk Festival and New Year. It is certainly not a sad life and I enjoy getting out to assist both farangs and Thais. 

The sad people are the ones who cannot see the benefit of giving up your own time to help your fellow mankind, and they do not experience the reward and satisfaction it brings.

Since living in Thailand I have done volunteer work locally including growing and planting trees along the local roads planting gardens at the local temple etc etc.

I get a lot of waves, smiles and thumbs up from the locals which is a good enough reward.

For the knockers no I don’t have a work permit I told the local Immigration office years ago what I was doing and they said don’t worry.

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

But it doesn’t make the road safer. Day time stops are not looking for drunk drivers. Only some stops check insurance, most don’t. All check helmets, most will check for a license. 

It is a useless cash grab, nothing more. If it was improving road safety I’d also support it.

17 hours ago, amexpat said:

How about stopping people running reds, jumping greens, blocking intersections, very loud bikes, drunks.....

Then they would have to actually work and the obese foreigner working with them would have to break a sweat. Not gonna happen.

That Bogan in the too small police uniform that accentuates his beer belly and those sunglasses is nothing more than pond scum IMO. Helping any Thai copper ripping Farangs off is disgraceful and this clo..wn should be afraid to show his face in any pub or restaurant in Chiang Mai. Of course his self inflated sense of worth will not permit that.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived